Lycoming College Wertz Scholars Program
The Wertz Scholars program is named for President D. Frederick Wertz, who served Lycoming College from 1955 to 1968. As one of the College’s most influential leaders, President Wertz established Lycoming as a modern residential college in the tradition of the liberal arts during his tenure. Under Wertz’s leadership, the foundational concepts of depth and breadth came to define the curriculum and many of the residence halls on the current campus were constructed.
Students selected for the Wertz Scholars program demonstrate a record of superior academic achievement in high school, are in the top 10% of their high school class, and show promise of continued excellence at Lycoming College, including a strong interest in completing high-impact enhanced academic experiences such as global education programs, summer internships, and student-faculty research collaborations through the College’s Center for Enhanced Academic Experiences.
In addition to the student’s traditional merit scholarship, Wertz Scholars receive:
- A Wertz Enhanced Academic Experience Scholarship of up to $5,000 to complete an enhanced academic experience during the sophomore, junior, or senior year
- Optional first-year housing in the Wertz Scholars Affinity Community
- Wertz Program faculty mentors
- Periodic dinners with the Provost, Vice Provost, and Career Advisors where post-graduate and career opportunities are discussed
- Senior Wertz Scholars dinner with the President of the College
Wertz Scholars Program Eligibility
Eligible students must apply and be admitted to Lycoming College by February 1, 2020. Upon admission, eligible students will receive an invitation from Lycoming’s President to interview during Scholars Day on Sunday, January 26, 2020. Students unable to attend Scholars Day may substitute an essay.
For more information on the Lycoming College Wertz Scholars Program, please call or email Dr. Susan M. Ross, Vice Provost, in the Center for Enhanced Academic Experiences at 570-321-4602 or firstname.lastname@example.org.