Caring for the world around us.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.
The Clean Water Institute (CWI) enhances educational opportunities for students interested in a diverse range of research opportunities, such as data collection and analysis of for watershed and environmental groups, plus more nationally-based opportunities. The program provides students the chance to participate in research on local streams — in the lab and in the field — by applying in-classroom learning to the world around them. The Institute is dedicated to helping students grow in their chosen disciplines as well as to contributing to our understanding, protection, and restoration of local waterways.
Student Opportunities and Experiences
- Work alongside and assist local, state, and federal organizations, such as the Lycoming County Conservation District and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, on restoration and conservation projects.
- Participate and engage in research on streams in the lab and in the field on a number of projects, such as the Unassessed Waters Program, agricultural stream restoration, acid mine drainage, hellbender reproduction, a large restoration project on Loyalsock Creek, urban stormwater mitigation, and plankton sampling on Rose Valley Lake.
- Present research at regional, statewide, and international conferences hosted by a number of professional organizations, including the Bucknell River Symposium, Pennsylvania Academy of Science, Society for Freshwater Science, and the Symposium for Urbanization and Stream Ecology.
- Lead outreach experiences for local K-12 schools at the Waterdale Environmental Education Center and in coordination with the James V. Brown Public Library, Loyalsock Creek Watershed Association, and Trout Unlimited.
- Publish findings in relevant journals and produce multimedia outreach materials for the Lycoming College Clean Water Institute Extension website.
- Our connections to community organizations expand student research opportunities and foster the development of professional connections.
- Students are provided multiple opportunities to work alongside their peers, as well as experienced professionals and top researchers in the field.
- A wide range of projects enables students gain experience through internships and through faculty-led research.
Follow CWI Programming