I am Adventuring. I am Lycoming.
Learning while doing is one of the most effective ways to gain and apply new knowledge and skills. At Lycoming College, students take advantage of many opportunities to grow professionally through intentionally-designed outdoor experiences in an adventure filled, fun environment. Through Lycoming’s Outdoor Leadership and Education, students learn and grow before classes even begin with the First Year Outdoor Experience, and continuing through all four years. Students can even become certified in Wilderness Medicine or as an OLE instructor.
We offer students a variety of opportunities to engage in outdoor education at any skill level. Our trips and certification classes include:
- Flatwater Kayaking
- Whitewater Kayaking
- Instructor Training
- Leave No Trace Training
- Wilderness Medicine Courses
- Cross Country Skiing
- SCUBA Diving Certification
- Downhill Skiing & Snowboarding
- Rock Climbing
How Can I Get Involved?
- Participate in the First Year Outdoor Experience. Meet future classmates early and form new friendships while learning new skills and strategies for a successful first year of college.
- Join OLE on a fun outdoor adventure. Throughout the academic year, OLE organizes weekend trips that are open to every student on campus, such as hiking, kayaking, camping, and more.
- Become a trained OLE instructor. Prepare yourself to guide your peers on outdoor trips and with group development programming.
- Train in Wilderness Medicine. Choose between Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder to gain knowledge that will help you in the backcountry.
- All OLE experiences are designed to provide the Lycoming student with experiences that will help to carry you through college, and into the successful careers and graduate school.
- The program is available to every student — even outdoor novices — regardless of academic major.
- OLE provides all necessary equipment for adventures off campus.
- Want to set off on your own adventure? OLE provides rental equipment for backpacking and camping
- Offerings span the entire academic calendar as well as a wide range of activities, so there is something for everyone!
- OLE instructors provide adventure-filled experiences for everyone while properly managing risk.
Fall 2020 Trips