If you are interested in a career in medicine, you will find a wide array of educational and professional experiences awaiting you at Lycoming College. The pathways to health professions are supported through a number of majors, including biology, biochemistry, chemistry, medical sociology, neuroscience, and psychology.
With faculty dedicated exclusively to the education of undergraduate students, an abundance of opportunities for research experience in top-notch facilities, internships with regional health and human services organizations, and close mentorship through our interdisciplinary Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC), Lycoming students are prepared to become exceptional health care providers and leaders in the health profession. Our HPAC faculty will work with you to build a four-year plan tailored to your career of choice in medicine. Your plan is designed to prepare you for application to the top professional schools and graduate programs in the United States.
As a student in our pre-med program, you'll benefit from:
- One-on-one student/faculty research opportunities in areas such as cellular biology, genetics, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, physiology, and public health
- Shadowing and internships with UPMC Susquehanna and Geisinger Medical Center
- Anatomy classes featuring a human cadaver lab
- Opportunities to gain research experience through nationally competitive programs — including the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program and the Summer Undergraduate Research Programs (SURP), as well as programs tailor-made for Lycoming students, including the University of North Texas BioDiscovery Institute with Dr. Kent Chapman ’86.
- Mentorship opportunities with dedicated alumni and regional healthcare professionals
- Participation in the Pre-Health Society programming, including career exploration dinners, medically-oriented field trips, and guest speaker programs
- An embedded career advising program featuring Dr. Lisa Mondell, Career Advisor for the STEM fields, who specializes in assisting students interested in pre-med and pre-health
- In addition to close academic advising with your selected major, pre-health and pre-medical students are also supported by the members of the Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC).