An Asset on the World’s Balance Sheet
Tracks: 150 credits | 128 credits
Lycoming's accounting department boasts an enduring tradition of rigorous courses, excellence in teaching, and highly successful placement of graduates. Intimate class sizes and faculty with extensive corporate experience encourage and enable Lycoming students to develop strong critical thinking, writing, and research skills, which are the foundation of effective accounting. Lycoming’s 150 credit hour and 128 credit hour tracks provide students with the choice to pursue a career as a Certified Public Accountant or prepare for a position with public, private, industrial, governmental, and not-for-profit organizations. The astounding breadth of opportunities within Lycoming’s accounting department allows students to flourish as adaptable, scrappy, and intelligent future accountants.
Preparation for CPA is designed to meet the licensure requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you choose to get certified in another state, please contact the program director for additional guidance.
- Gain teaching experience as a tutor in the accounting lab or Tutoring Services.
- Join the Accounting Society student organization or be inducted into Sigma Beta Delta (the accounting honors society).
- Attend educational excursions to alumni-owned businesses, large accounting firms, banks, and financial firms in major metropolitan areas.
- Pursue a paid internship in public accounting, industry and government through the WISE Program.
- Work on projects and publications alongside faculty to receive departmental honors and further explore areas of interest like corporate fraud, international reporting standards and pension plans.
- Earn scholarships to continue your education through organizations like the American Institute of CPAs and Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs.
- Study abroad in London or Prague.
- Small class sizes provide individualized learning experiences that help students develop the problem-solving, analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills necessary for success in professional fields.
- Classes of all levels are taught by a faculty of award-winning, published Certified Public Accountants (some of whom are also Certified Management Accountants).
- By taking advantage of the numerous Summer and May Term courses, students can complete a 150 credit hour program (which usually takes five years) in as little as four years.
- Students can enhance their education by pursuing additional majors or minors, including economics, business, modern languages, and psychology.
- Lycoming provides students with numerous opportunities to participate in competitive, paid internships with employers such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, Baker Tilly, Hershey Entertainment, and many others.
- Lycoming College is ranked 24th in the nation, and 3rd in the state of Pennsylvania, for pass rates on the Uniform CPA Examination.
Why Lycoming is the Right Choice →