You are here:
Purchasing a new computer
IT Services recommends the following for new students considering the purchase of a computer:
Regardless of operating system, we recommend students purchase a laptop to take full advantage of wireless network access in all buildings on campus.
- Processor (Intel Core i5, i7 or i9, AMD Ryzen 5, 7 or 9)
- If you use your computer for basic tasks like surfing the web, watching Netflix, and using Microsoft Office, then an Intel Core i5 is a better choice.
- If you use your computer to run multiple applications that require a lot of processing, such as mathematical calculations, then an Intel Core i7 or i9 is the best choice.
- Note: AMD processors are also acceptable for PCs.
- 8 GB of RAM minimum, 16 GB recommended
- 256 GB hard drive
- A solid state drive (SSD) is preferable.
If you are purchasing a PC:
If you are purchasing a Mac:
OS X 10.15 (Catalina) or higher
Printer, thumb drive, surge protector, external CD/DVD drive (some textbooks still include CDs and DVDs in supplemental materials). Three-year warranty with theft and damage coverage recommended.
These are options to consider when purchasing, but are not necessary vetted or endorsed by IT Services.