Explore the Inner Workings of the Universe
The study of astrophysics combines coursework in astronomy, physics, chemistry, computer science, and mathematics to give you a clearer understanding of how planets and stars and their environments develop and how the forces of nature continually transform the universe. Astrophysics majors will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in astrophysics in just four years, prepared for graduate-level studies or a career that uses their research, data analysis and problem-solving skills. Students majoring in astrophysics often pursue work with high-tech corporations such as NASA, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin; educational programming work for planetariums and museums; or in research and development labs.
- Learn how to use a scanning electron microscope as part of your coursework and for research.
- Conduct physics research alongside faculty members.
- Gain valuable teaching experience as a laboratory assistant or a course tutor.
- Operate our state-of-the-art Detwiler Planetarium and conduct planetarium shows for the public.
- Volunteer in the nonlinear and complex systems research laboratory doing research about machine learning, astrophysics, or combustion as part of an international collaboration.
- Pursue a competitive internship with local and national companies.
- Publish with faculty in research journals and present at professional conferences.
- Work toward induction into Sigma Pi Sigma National Physics Honor Society.
- All students have numerous opportunities to participate in faculty-mentored independent research.
- Hands-on laboratory experiences prepare students for both graduate study and jobs in industry.
- Courses are taught by faculty with the highest degree in their field teach in low student-to-faculty ratio settings both in the classroom and in the laboratory
- The new Lynn Science Center, the home of astrophysics, contains updated laboratories, classrooms, and the Detwiler Planetarium.
- The department boasts a plentiful inventory of cutting-edge physics instrumentation that is available for students to use as early as their first year.
Why Lycoming is the Right Choice →