Setting the Scene for Success
Minor: Design and Technology | Performance
Concentrations: Acting | Directing | Musical Theatre | Design and Technology | Stage Management
Lycoming’s theatre environment is full of opportunity for practical experience. Students flourish as actors, set designers, costume designers, stage managers, and much more, as they explore individual interests by choosing a concentration in acting, directing, musical theatre, design/technology, and stage management. As early as freshman year, students are encouraged to audition for shows and become involved in productions. The curriculum combines practical training in every aspect of theatre with a look back at the history and literature that has shaped theatre as an art form. Through the College’s full production schedule and enriching curriculum, students celebrate theatre’s vibrant role in society, and go on to become successful catalysts within the theatre industry.
- Act in, direct or design mainstage and Dragon’s Lair productions.
- Attend professional workshops, both locally and abroad.
- Present at a national conference or attend professional auditions.
- Watch productions, participate in specialized workshops, and receive guided tours of theatre facilities at the Shaw Festival.
- Attend productions in New York City with faculty and other students.
- Complete a capstone experience, tailored to meet your artistic needs, and enabling you to articulate your unique and distinct artistic voice.
- Serve as a supervisor in the box office, the light shop, the scene shop, or the prop shop.
- Be inducted into Alpha Psi Omega National Theatre Honor Society.
- One-hundred percent of our majors are involved with theatre productions every semester.
- A diverse mainstage production season provides dozens of opportunities for actors, directors, designers, technicians, and stage managers to gain experience and collaborate with accomplished faculty or professional guests.
- All classes are taught by faculty who hold the highest degrees in their fields.
- Lycoming is one of the few institutions of this size and type that offers a concentration in musical theatre.
- Students’ original plays, small scale productions, and various showcases are produced in the Dragon’s Lair every year.
- Students gain ample design experience building sets and making costumes in house.
- Our Williamsport, Pa., location is a vibrant performing arts scene.