Listening, Learning & Finding Your Voice
Certification: K-12 education
Lycoming’s music program offers an enriching curriculum bolstered by exciting performances and professional opportunities. Our flexible course structure allows students to design their own path to match their interests and career goals, such as music therapy or music business. Students who major in music not only develop a foundational knowledge through concentrated courses in theory and aural skills, but also benefit from the opportunity to pursue specific musical interests such as conducting, composing, world drumming and jazz improvisation. This individualized approach, coupled with close mentorship from professors in private music lessons and small classes, allows each student to flourish into the outstanding performer, composer, conductor, or educator they wish to be.
- Perform at campus events and participate in regional tours with the Concert Band.
- Travel nationally and internationally with the Tour Choir.
- Audition for a scholarship worth up to $3,000. Receive a $500 fellowship for participating in The Chamber Choir, Brass Quintet, and Woodwind Quintet.
- Get ahead with private applied music lessons with adjunct faculty.
- Collaborate with local ensembles like the Williamsport Symphony Orchestra at the Community Arts Center in downtown Williamsport.
- Join Lycoming’s Orchestra, Choir, or Band
- Audition for select ensembles, such as chamber choir, jazz ensemble, woodwind and brass quintets, and wind ensemble
- Attend and perform at conferences such as the Pennsylvania Music Education Association Conference.
- Enjoy performances by professional musicians year-round on campus and within the community.
- Students have endless opportunities to perform on campus, in the community, and even nationally or internationally.
- Our curriculum allows students to study multiple instruments including harp, guitar, organ, percussion, strings, piano, and more.
- Classes are taught by faculty who are nationally recognized for their publications and compositions and who regularly perform in and direct musical ensembles.
- Our degree program makes it easy for students to enhance their career outlook by also pursuing a primary or secondary education certification or by adding another major/minor in complementary programs such as business, art or psychology.
- Small class sizes allow for close mentorship and individualized experiences outside the classroom.