Getting Behind the Scenes
Major: Film and Video Arts
Tracks: Visual Media | Digital Filmmaking
Minors: Film and Video Arts | Film Studies
Aspiring filmmakers, animators, and video producers will thrive in Lycoming College’s film and video arts program. Whether your interests include digital filmmaking, narrative or documentary filmmaking, 2D animation, stop motion animation, motion graphics, video art, or installation videos, our program will give you not only a depth, but also a breadth of knowledge you won’t find at a larger film school. Our curriculum explores various levels of production, editing, animation, film studies, and art history courses that help students establish a foundation of technical skills. Small class sizes allow for enriching discussions, productive workshops, and close mentorship. By combining a traditional liberal arts education with a hands-on film and video arts program, students are equipped with the knowledge and tools to pursue their creative visions from start to finish through a variety of mediums.
- Screen your senior capstone film at the AMC movie theater in downtown Williamsport.
- Engage with national/international visiting artists and install exhibitions in our digital media gallery.
- Gain teaching experience as a tutor in the media lab, helping underclassmen with editing and operating equipment.
- Join our student film club (Crossing the Frame Productions) to gain more experience writing scripts, auditioning actors, scouting locations, shooting, or editing.
- Spend a semester abroad or take a May Term travel course led by film and video arts faculty members.
- Participate in a film internship locally through our WISE internship program or even regionally/nationally.
- Work for the College filming promotional videos, interviewing students/faculty, and covering campus events.
- Assist with faculty research, become a departmental assistant, or work in the stockroom to gain hands-on experience in the field.
- Pursue related media interests by writing for the Lycourier or working for the campus radio station.
- Students don’t need to purchase any equipment other than an external hard drive, as they are given unlimited access to our state-of-the-art equipment from day one and have 24/7 access to our digital media lab.
- Lycoming provides cutting-edge equipment for student check out, such as motorized 4-axis controls like the eMotimo Spectrum ST4; stabilization devices such as the Ronin-M and the Steadycam Steadymate 15; cameras such as the Black Magic 4K, Black Magic Mini Ursa 4.6K, Canon Mark IV with C-Log, Canon Rebel DSLRs; DJI Phantom 4 Pro Quadcopter Drone, matte boxes, gimbal stabilizers, Shark sliders, tripods, microphones, lighting kits, and much more. Our affiliation with Canon earns us special demos on newly released, top of the line equipment.
- Students have free access to the entire Adobe Suite, DaVinci Resolve, and other editing software.
- Lycoming hosts the annual Pennsylvania Film & Video Festival, where students from undergraduate institutions across the state submit films to be screened and juried; all qualifying films are eligible for awards in each category; the best Lycoming film receives a monetary prize and custom statue sculpted by Academy Award-winning alumnus Tom Woodruff, Jr.
- Our curriculum makes it easy for students to enhance their career outlook by pursuing another major or minor, such as 2D animation, photography, theater, business, creative writing, and more.