Aerial view of campus with Williamsport, the Susquehanna River and Bald Eagle Mountain as a backdrop

Information for Accepted International Students

Important Information For International Students

  • Location and climate

    The city of Williamsport is a small, relaxed city of 35,000 located in the beautiful Susquehanna River Valley. The Pennsylvania tourist guide refers to the area as the region of "woods, water, and wildlife," but Williamsport is also a bustling center for business, manufacturing, government, and finance. Our campus is just steps from downtown Williamsport, where shops, restaurants, the Community Arts Center, and cinema are readily available, and bus transportation through River Valley Transit is free to Lycoming Students.

    Pennsylvania has four seasons: fall, winter, spring, and summer. Temperatures will vary between freezing (30°F/0°C) and hot and humid (90°F/32°C). You will need a warm coat and boots for winter (October-March), which you can purchase when you get here. Students dress informally on campus and jeans are common. It is not necessary to dress up for class, but you may want to bring a skirt or nice trousers and blazer for special occasions.

  • What to pack

    Most students bring two suitcases, but remember to check with the airline on the baggage limit. Students must provide their own towels, soap, shampoo, and other personal items. You may bring these with you or buy them when you arrive. American students often bring their own television, microwave, sound system, computer, and small refrigerator, so you may be able to share these items with your roommate(s). We suggest that you bring the following items:

    • Favorite music
    • Pictures of your country, your home, and your family
    • A book or movie of your country to share with friends and faculty
    • Special musical instruments, clothing, crafts, and games that represent your country (there will be several opportunities during the year to showcase your culture)
  • Traveling to the U.S.

    The Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement has prepared the following guide to ensure the quality of your experience. Through its "Student and Exchange Visitor Program" (SEVP), the Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement is committed to facilitating your stay in the U.S. as you enjoy our nation's academic, educational, and cultural offerings. Note that you may be refused entry into the U.S. if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the academic program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20 form.

    Always carry your documents with you:

    • Your passport, valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay
    • Sealed nonimmigrant documents (When you receive your nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate, the Consular Officer will seal your immigration documents in an envelope and attach it to your passport. Do not open this envelope. The Customs and Border Protection Officer at the U.S. Port of Entry will open the envelope.)
    • Your SEVIS Form I-20

    We strongly recommended that you also carry the following additional documentation:

    • Evidence of financial resources
    • Evidence of student status, such as recent tuition receipts and transcripts
    • A paper receipt for the SEVIS fee, Form I-797
    • Name and contact information for your "Designated School Official," including a 24-hour emergency contact number at the school

    If you arrive by air (we suggest John F Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York City or Newark International Airport (EWR)), flight attendants will distribute Customs Declaration Forms (CF-6059) and Arrival Departure Record Forms (I-94). These must be completed prior to landing. If you arrive by land or sea, the CBP Officer at the port of entry will provide the necessary Customs Declaration Forms (CF-6059) and Arrival-Departure Record Forms (I-94) to be filled out upon your arrival.

    When you arrive at your point of entry, go directly to the terminal area for arriving passengers. Have the following documents available for presentation: your passport; SEVIS Form (I-20); Arrival-Departure Record Form (I-94); and Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059). The Form I-94 should reflect the address where you will reside, not the address of your University or academic department.

    You will be asked to state your reason for entering the U.S. You will also be asked to provide information about your final destination. It is important that you tell the CBP Officer that you will be a student, along with the name and address of the University in which you will enroll.

    Once your inspection is successfully completed, the inspecting officer will do the following:

    • Stamp your SEVIS Form for duration of status ("D/S") for F visa holders.
    • Stamp your SEVIS Form for 30 days beyond program end date for M visa holders.

    If the CBP officer at your port of entry cannot initially verify your information, or you lack some required documentation, you may be directed to an interview area known as "Secondary Inspection." This allows inspectors to conduct extra research to verify your information. First, the inspector will attempt to verify your status by using the Student and Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

    Sometimes a CBP Officer needs to verify information with a student's university or program. You should keep on hand the name and telephone number of your admissions counselor or the Coordinator of International Student Services at Lycoming College. In case you arrive during non-business hours (evening, weekends, holidays), have an emergency or non-business hour phone number available for the CBP officer.

    Failure to comply with U.S. government entry-exit procedures may result in your being denied entry into the U.S. Under certain circumstances, the CBP officer may issue a “Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor” Form (I-515A), which authorizes temporary admission. Work with your school to submit the proper documentation without delay.

    Every nonimmigrant visitor holding a Visa, regardless of race, national origin, or religion, participates in the U.S.-VISIT program, a comprehensive registration system tracking entries to and exits from the United States.

    Some nonimmigrant visitors with a Visa may be asked to give additional information under the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS). At your port of entry you can obtain a packet of information explaining the registration procedure.

    Map showing Williamsport in relation to other cities

    Travel time from Williamsport:

    • 1.5 hours
    • 2.5 hours
      NEWARK, NJ
    • 2.75 hours
      NEW YORK, NY
    • 3 hours
    • 3.5 hours
    • 4 hours
      DOVER, DE
    • 5 hours
  • Your arrival at Lycoming

    We try to meet our students at the airport when they arrive in the U.S. Admissions staff will be in contact with you to obtain your flight information prior to your departure to the U.S. When you arrive on campus, you will be taken to your assigned residence hall room. If you are arriving late at night, we will have new bed sheets and a pillow on your bed for you. We will assist you in getting your Lycoming ID and take you shopping for any personal items you may need so that you are all set and comfortable to begin international student orientation. Carry the following documents with you, as you will need them during orientation:

    • Passport identification pages
    • F-1 and all other U.S. Visas
    • Lycoming College's I-20 Form (if it was sent to you)
    • I-20s from all schools you have attended in the U.S.
    • A “Request for Transfer Information” Form (if it was sent to you, rather than to Lycoming). Protect your legal documents and make extra copies. Never destroy your I-20 Forms; keep them in a safe place.
  • Getting your Lycoming ID

    You will be issued a Lycoming College identification card when you arrive on campus. You should carry this with you at all times. Students should not loan ID cards to anyone, for any reason.

    In addition to your own residence hall and the Dining Hall, you will need your ID card to enter the Academic Center, Heim Building, Fine Arts Building, Wertz Student Center, Communications Building, Clarke Chapel, Keiper Recreation Center, Library, and many college events. Report lost ID cards to Public Safety. A replacement ID will cost $20 USD.

  • On-Campus Employment

    Lycoming offers a variety of on-campus jobs, which are a great opportunity to earn money and gain work experience. Students in F-1 status can work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the spring and fall semesters, and up to 40 hours during summer. When classes are not in session, F-1 students can work on campus for 40 hours per week. This work must be on campus and is considered full-time employment.

    Information on Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training can be obtained in the International Student Services (ISS) office. Note: Employment (paid or unpaid) off campus is not allowed unless approved OPT or CPT.

  • Cell phone plan

    This unique opportunity is available through an agreement between Lycoming College and Verizon Wireless. It provides international students studying at Lycoming College the chance to purchase a phone and plan that without the standard security deposit or 2-year contract. For approximately $57.00 per month, you will receive 400-peak hour calling minutes, unlimited night and weekend calling, unlimited Verizon to Verizon calling, as well as unlimited data and texting.

    To find out when a Verizon Wireless representative will be on campus, or to inquire about this opportunity, please contact Angela Hakes in I.T. Services at or call 570-321-4150.

  • Obtaining a Pennsylvania ID

    Pennsylvania Photo ID cards can be used for cashing checks, showing proof of age, etc., thus making it unnecessary to carry your passport. You can apply for a Pennsylvania Photo ID for about $9 USD at the Photo License Center, about 1 mile east of the College. You will need to bring:

  • Social Security Number

    A Social Security Number is required for employment on campus, to obtain a driver's license, and at most banks. To apply, bring your passport and form I-20 or DS-2019 to the Social Security Office at 240 West Third Street, Williamsport.

  • Filing U.S. Taxes

    If you work in the U.S., you will have to file a tax return. Contact the International Student Services office for appropriate forms. If you need specialized services, please seek out a licensed professional.

  • Paying Tuition and Fees

    Payments should be made at the Lycoming College Business Office. Your payment options are:

    1. Bring a bank draft written on a U.S. bank
    2. Charge your tuition on a credit card
    3. Wire your payment to Lycoming
  • Medical history record/examination

    International students must complete several forms in order to attend Lycoming College. Upon admission to the college, you will receive log-in credentials to our web advising system , at which point you should begin to complete and email us these forms. It is very important that you get a physical, as well as a copy of your immunization records, before departing for the U.S.

    Required immunizations include MMR (two doses), Tetanus (within the last 10 years), Hepatitis B (three doses), Meningococcal/meningitis (two doses if first dose given before age 16) and Varicella/chicken pox (two doses).

  • Health Insurance

    International students are required to purchase the college health insurance plan. Students are also responsible for filling out and submitting their own insurance claims; however, due to the complicated nature of medical insurance in the U.S., our Health Services office offers assistance to international students in filing claims. For more information, please see the Health Services web pages for more information.

  • Dining Services

    Whether you visit Wertz Dining Hall, Jack's Corner, Café 1812, or attend one of our catered events, Lycoming College Dining Services offers friendly, courteous staff serving delicious dishes made from the freshest ingredients. We feature foods from around the country and around the world, and serve them up in a relaxed, welcoming setting.

  • Campus Break Information

    You must sign up in advance to remain on campus during breaks. Please watch your campus email for information regarding upcoming breaks.

  • Storage

    On-campus storage is available for international students to store belongings during the summer break. You will be responsible for marking your belongings carefully so they are easily identifiable when you return. Please contact International Student Services for more information.

  • English Language Assistance

    If you wish to improve your English-speaking skills, we encourage you to:

    • Speak English as much as possible; try not to revert to your first language when speaking with other international students.
    • Take advantage of the College's International Student Lab, where you can get help with planning, practicing, writing, or editing in English.
    • Contact Marleni Feinstein at for additional information about language assistance.