You are here:
Leave of Absence Policy
Students who find it necessary to leave the College either during a semester or who choose not to return for one or two semesters are eligible to request a Leave of Absence (LOA).
A Leave of Absence occurs when a student leaves the College and, at the time of departure, fully intends to return within one or two semesters. A Leave of Absence can occur either during the semester or in advance of an upcoming semester.
Benefits of a Leave of Absence: The student retains college e-mail; is eligible to register for classes during the registration period; may participate in the housing lottery; and remains in an ongoing relationship with the College. The College maintains connection with a student who has every intention of returning.
Leaves of Absence
The following conditions apply to all Leaves of Absence:
- The LOA/Withdrawal Form must be completed with a Dean in Academic Services and signed by all appropriate offices.
- The College retains the matriculation deposit and the advance registration deposit.
- The standard Refund Policy applies, if applicable.
- A student on a Leave must meet the normal deadlines for applying for financial aid in order to be considered for funding for the semester in which the student plans to return.
- Commencing with the last day of enrollment before the Leave takes effect, a student who has taken out an educational loan has a six-month grace period before repayment of the loan must begin, as per federal policy.
- During the LOA, the student must follow the College's Guest Policy when visiting campus.
- If a student is unable to return from a Leave within the agreed upon time, a request to extend the Leave may be granted by writing to the Office of the Registrar.
- If a student is unable or chooses not to return to the College within the agreed upon time of the Leave, the student’s status code will change to Withdrawn. No action on the part of the student will result in the change of status.
- Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing to qualify for a Leave of Absence.
A. Leave of Absence for Medical Reasons
- A Leave of Absence for medical reasons occurs when a student experiences a medical issue that requires time away from the College to address it.
- To request a Leave of Absence for medical reasons, the student must provide documentation from Health Services, Counseling Services, or a recognized medical professional.
- When a student is granted a medical LOA during a given semester, the student will receive a grade of "W" (withdrawn) or "I" (incomplete) as determined by each course instructor. The determination is made based on the nature of the course and the amount of work yet to be completed. The student should discuss this with a Dean in Academic Services and each course instructor.
Updated: April 2022