Disciplinary/Student Conduct Code Records Retention Policy
The Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students Office and the Associate Dean of Students Office are jointly responsible for administering the disciplinary records policy and overseeing the management and storage of case files. Release of records to third parties requires the student's knowledge and written consent. For additional information regarding the handling and releasing of records, please refer to "Confidentiality of Student Records."
- Disciplinary records for enrolled or continuing students are maintained in paper format for students who had any violation prior to Fall 2019, in the Residential Life Office or in digital format, for all students who had their first violation beginning in Fall 2019 or after. These records are retained until the student graduates or separates from Lycoming College. At that time, the paper record is transferred to the Office of the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students and the digital file is only accessible by the Office of the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students.
- Records of suspension and/or dismissal from the College will be maintained permanently
- Records of deferred suspension will be maintained for a period of 1 year after the student graduates or may be maintained for a longer period of time at the discretion of the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students based on the circumstances of the incident.
- Records of warning, probation or other sanctions will be destroyed/permanently deleted upon a student's graduation.
- The student conduct code records of a student who has voluntarily withdrawn from the College will be destroyed/deleted after two consecutive years of such withdrawal unless the record indicates a prior suspension for which the record will be maintained permanently.
- Records of investigations of possible policy violations are maintained either by the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students or the Associate Dean of Students Office. In cases in which students are found not to be responsible, records of the investigation are destroyed/deleted at the conclusion of the academic year.
- A student or alumna/alumnus may request, in writing, that the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students eliminate an incident or incidents from the student's student conduct code record. The decision to eliminate a record will be based on the violations(s), the individual's student conduct code history, and evidence of appropriate behavior since the violation occurred. Expulsion or dismissal may not be eliminated from a student's conduct code record.