Policies and Procedures
Keiper Recreation Center Policies and Procedures
Lycoming College’s purpose is to provide a quality liberal arts education in a residential setting. The College is home to approximately 1200 students and is also an employer of nearly 350 faculty, staff and administrators. In support of the mission of Lycoming College, Campus Recreation offers the College community recreational and educational opportunities that teach the values of holistic health and wellness. Campus Recreation enhances the collegiate experience, fosters personal and professional development, and provides opportunities for cultural and social interaction.
Facility Access Policy
Upon entering the facility, all patrons are required to check-in at the Front Desk and show a Lycoming College ID in order to gain entrance to the facility
- Authorized patrons for facility usage include:
- Current Students
- Faculty and Staff and their dependents
- Retired Faculty and Staff
- Board of Trustees and their dependents
- Temporary users such as visiting professors, consultants and other overnight guests on official college business (approved by the Director of Recreation)
- Alumni are not authorized to utilize the facility
- All patrons must scan their IDs upon entrance to the Keiper Recreation Center
Please understand that if an athlete comes in to visit a coach, have a meeting or weigh-in – they are likely to continue to stay and use the facility and in that case their ID should have been scanned.
- Coaches and Staff who work in the Keiper Recreation Center
- Physical Education Classes including students and instructors
- In–Season Varsity Sport teams that have a TEAM practice, not individual, upon entrance (practice for their sport – this does not include weight lifting)
- This is to be adhered during the normal hours of operation of the Recreation Center.
- The team practice must be mandated by the coach and the coach is present during the practice.
- If the team has mandatory weight lifting, the athlete’s ID does need to be scanned
*All other means of entrance, the athlete’s ID must be scanned (weigh-ins, visiting a coach, meetings, etc.)
- All entry and exit is through the main door at the end of College Place (Lamade entrance).
- False or altered ID cards will be confiscated.
- If an ID is lost or stolen, another one may be purchased at the Office of Public Safety.
- Students may bring in 2 guests to the facility. They will sign in at the Front Desk. The student is responsible for their guests.
- Guests accompanied by a student must be at least 16 years of age.
- Students may bring 2 guests under the age of 16 under special circumstances, i.e. Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- The non-dependents under the age of 16 must be supervised at all times by the student and are not permitted to use the Fitness Center and Weight Room.
- All other patrons granted accesses are not limited to 2 guests.
- Guests will not be permitted to participate in Intramural sports or special events.
- However, guests of students present for special college events on campus will be considered when applicable.
Temporary Pass Policy
Temporary passes are issued by the Director of Recreation. Temporary passes will be given out to visiting professors, consultants, and other overnight guests on official college business. Those individuals will be allowed to use the Recreation facility including the Fitness Center and Weight Room during official hours of operation when the supervision of the Recreation Staff is present. All other hours are prohibited. Please make efforts for these requests at least 7 days in advance.
Responsibilities of Patrons Policy
While inside of the Recreation Center, patrons have the responsibility to:
- Read, understand, and abide by all policies and regulations of the Keiper Recreation Center.
- Respond to and cooperate with the Keiper Recreation Center staff. Cooperation in responding to reasonable requests in expected.
- Treat other patrons and Keiper Recreation Center staff members with consideration and respect their individual rights.
- Take responsibility for personal and community security. For example, patrons should not misuse safety equipment, prop open doors, allow individuals who are not guests into the Keiper Recreation Center, etc.
- Recognize that recreation facilities and their furnishings are used by everyone and that abuse of those areas violates the rights of others.
Assumption of Risk Policy
Individuals assume a risk of injury or even death while voluntarily electing to participate in physical activity. All participants are strongly encouraged to have a health evaluation; to consult with their personal physician to determine appropriate fitness level; to use good judgment concerning their ability to participate and appropriate level of their participation and to carry medical insurance coverage. Lycoming College DOES NOT carry insurance to cover patrons.
Dependents between the ages of 0-16 must have a parent with them at all times in the facility. At no point should the dependent be supervised by anyone else besides the parent. No one under the age of 16 is allowed in the Fitness Center or Weight Room.
General Facility Rules and Regulations
- Regarding Recreational Use Only
All levels of play are welcome. All patrons play at their own risk.
- Blocking or restriction of emergency exits is prohibited.
- Emergency telephones and exits located throughout the facility are for emergency use only. Unauthorized use of emergency exits or telephones may result in disciplinary action.
- Tobacco use is not permitted in the Keiper Recreation Center by all patrons.
- Patrons may not bring alcohol into the facility.
- Patrons using the Keiper Recreation Center for its sole purpose of Recreation shall not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Patrons visibly under the influence of alcohol/drugs and are disruptive to the other patrons will be asked to leave the facility. Privileges may be suspended thereafter.
- Any unsafe conditions or damaged equipment should be reported to the facility staff and play or patron use in the unsafe area should be discontinued until the unsafe condition can be addressed or equipment repaired.
- All equipment should be returned to the Front Desk
- Personal trainers, fitness consultants or other non-contracted service providers other than Lycoming College Athletic Trainer and Coaches are NOT permitted to provide services, or solicit and conduct business in the Keiper Recreation Center.
- Use of bicycles, skateboards, roller skates or roller blades is prohibited inside the Keiper Recreation Center.
- Students should note that violation of Keiper Recreation Center regulations may result in disciplinary action through the provisions of the Student Code of Conduct.
General Play/Sportsmanship Policy
Good sportsmanship is required of all players. Good sportsmanship is defined as:
- Fair play.
- Mutual respect.
- Taking responsibility/accountability for your actions.
- No abusive language or profanity.
- No fighting or spitting.
- No abuse of players, spectators, facilities or equipment. Spectators and non-playing participants should remain clear of the activity area and surrounding safety zones. For safety reasons, players may not warm up or otherwise occupy the activity area, sidelines or "off-end" of a court while activity is underway.
- Clothing, balls, bags and other equipment not being used for play should be stored off of the floor and away from the play or activity area. The Keiper Recreation Center assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen articles.
Flyers/Brochures/Printed Material Policy
All flyers/brochures/printed material must follow the official College policy (see Student Policy Manual). No advertisements for personal items will be posted in the Keiper Recreation Center.
Multipurpose Room Policy and Procedure
- Multipurpose Room is to remain locked while not in use
- Upon request of use, determine if the person is a student/faculty/staff/club that is requesting use
- Students, Faculty, Staff and certain clubs/organizations must sign the waiver and leave their ID card to be allowed access to the room
- One person from a club or organization must leave their ID and sign the waiver and be responsible for the entire group
- Exception: Physical Education classes taught by faculty/staff that are being held in the room, i.e. Karate, Kickboxing, RAD Class, Stage Movement do not have to sign waiver or leave their ID (Just open the door if faculty/staff doesn’t have a key)
- Upon completion of the waiver and valid ID in hand at the Front Desk, the Fitness Center Monitor will unlock the Multipurpose Room
- If it is between the hours of 5pm and close, the Rec Supervisor will unlock the room
- When use of room is complete, the individual who signed the waiver must complete the time out on the waiver and then their ID may be returned
- At this time, the Fitness Center Monitor or Rec Supervisor will lock the door upon notice from the Front Desk Attendant
- The Multipurpose room should be checked over to make sure nothing has been stolen or defaced
*If something has been stolen or defaced, immediately notify the Director of Recreation.
In the interest of encouraging a positive and comfortable environment, Lycoming College Keiper Recreation Center is requiring all patrons to wear proper attire while utilizing the facility. This policy prohibits but is not limited to the following:
- Sport Bras
- Crop tops are ok to wear, but the staff has the discretion to determine appropriateness of the attire in question.
- No shirts
Department staff has the discretion to determine appropriateness of the attire in question. Department staff can also make special exceptions for patrons in certain programs where applicable. Example: Open Swim
The Keiper Recreation Center is open for limited hours during holidays, breaks and other special events. Efforts will be made to inform patrons of the facility closing in advance, and can be checked on the website.
Guidelines for Reserving Courts in the Recreation Center
Volleyball and tennis courts will be set up during established times for people to play. Reservations for volleyball or tennis may be made up to 24 hours in advance of the designated play times. Only one daily reservation will be accepted per person, per day in 1 hour increments. Reservations may be made by: current students, current and retired faculty/staff, members of the Board of Trustees. The patron who has made the reservation must claim the court in person, at the Front Desk within 10 minutes of the reservation time. Vacant courts may be claimed 10 minutes past the reservation time.
Times for Volleyball:
Tuesday and Thursday 3:00pm-6:00pm
Times for Tennis:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 3:00pm-6:00pm
Keiper Recreation Center Hours of Operation
Keiper Recreation Center Employee Manual 2017-2018