Astrophysics Learning Goals
Students who major in astrophysics can expect to achieve the following learning goals:
- Develop an understanding of the following theoretical foundations of astronomy with special emphasis on:
- Stellar Evolution
- Planetary Astronomy
- Orbital Mechanics
- Special and General Relativity
- Classical Mechanics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Quantum Mechanics
- Modern Physics
- Develop skill in solving astronomy and physics problems, especially in the areas listed above.
- Be able to conceive, execute and communicate a self-initiated independent research project. This includes the ability to:
- Independently define research goals and take the necessary steps to accomplish those goals.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to complete a research project.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of a research project.
- Effectively communicate the results of a research project.
- Effectively address questions from peers and faculty about a research project.