Head of Library Systems & Collections
Position posted on: 01-24-2020
Snowden Library at Lycoming College is seeking an individual to manage collections and technical services operations as well as develop and evaluate related policies and procedures. The Head of Library Systems & Collections maintains library systems including the integrated library systems, identity access management, and more. In addition, the Head of Library Systems & Collections will have the opportunity (not required) to teach in our robust instruction program along with the Instructional Services Librarians. This position holds faculty status and as such, active participation in our system of faculty governance is expected.
- Coordinates the effective use of library technology systems, including installing and updating library-specific software packages
- In collaboration with the Coordinator of Reference & Web Services, updates and maintains the user interfaces for library software applications, including discovery systems, web resolvers, and library catalog web interfaces
- Troubleshoots library technology systems and outages including access, integration, and authority issues
- Supervises acquisition, cataloging, classification, and processing of all library materials
- Manages eBook programs, serials, streaming video packages, and book selection across the curriculum
- Serves as primary contact with vendors
- Investigates resource pricing and licensing, and coordinates purchasing and implementation
- Manages annual collections budget and analyzes usage and cost data
- Collects, organizes, and interprets statistics necessary to generate reports
- Participate in long range planning
- Supervises maintenance, organization, and deselection of all library materials
- Supervises one full-time staff member in technical services
- Provides reference services one evening per week and occasional Sunday evenings
Key Skills and Characteristics:
- Considerable communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent managerial and supervisory capability
- Strong ability to organize and analyze
- Effective problem solving
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited institution
- Electronic and print resources management
- Proficient with a variety of pertinent technologies
- Experience troubleshooting complex library technology systems
- Knowledge of Library of Congress Classification, RDA and MARC
- Applicable budgeting experience
Submit cover letter and CV including the names and telephone numbers of three professional references. Electronic submission of application materials is required in PDF format preferred. Please reference “Head of Library Systems & Collections" in the subject line of the e-mail.
Review of applications will begin March 5th, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Post-offer, pre-employment drug screen, motor vehicle record check and criminal background check conducted.
Founded in 1812, Lycoming College is one of the nation's oldest and most respected residential liberal arts colleges. Lycoming is ranked by Forbes as a Top ROI College and by The Princeton Review as one of The 385 Best Colleges. Lycoming College's strong endowment-per-student and fiscal acumen provide the foundation to support a first-rate undergraduate education. The College is dedicated to providing a high-quality liberal arts and sciences education including more than 100 majors, minors, and concentrations. Our community of scholars collaborate with and mentor our diverse student body of approximately 1,200 active learners, including 35 percent international and domestic students of color, representing over 50 states, territories, and countries. Students compete in 17 NCAA Division III sports, participate in faculty-driven research, thrive in a robust program of internships, and study abroad in more than two dozen countries. Lycoming is located in Williamsport, PA, a city rich in the arts and ideally situated for outdoor recreation. Williamsport is the site of a world-class healthcare system (UPMC Susquehanna), modern manufacturing, federal offices and county seat, energy and natural gas resources, and home to and the birthplace of the Little League World Series. Learn more at www.lycoming.edu.
Lycoming College proudly celebrates and values diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive campus community supporting all faculty, staff, and students. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and all who are interested in supporting and contributing to our mission. Lycoming College is an equal opportunity employer.