We produce a full season of faculty and student-directed productions each year, including classics, musicals, and cutting-edge new dramas. As many as 10-15 productions each season provide students with numerous opportunities to create exciting theatre.
Lysistrata, Mary L. Welch Theatre
Four shows are produced each season in the Mary L. Welch Theatre, our intimate thrust stage. Located in the Academic Center, the Mary L. Welch Theatre seats 204 people. Recent and ongoing technical upgrades in the Welch Theatre give students the opportunity to work with state-of-the-art equipment. The theatre has upgraded dimming controls and brand new ETC lighting instrumentation. More recently, we have improved the sound system by upgrading the theatre to surround-sound and adding computer controlled playback and digital sound editing capabilities in the control areas.
Machinal, Mary L. Welch Theatre
Recent productions in the Mary L. Welch Theatre include:
- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- The Great American Trailer Park Musical, an old-fashioned down-home tale
- The contemporary American classic Angels in America: Millennium Approaches
- David Lindsay-Abaire's hilarious farce, Wonder of the World
- The expressionistic drama Machinal
The Dragon's Lair Theatre (DLT), our flexible black-box space, is home to a variety of student-produced shows. The DLT was outfitted with all new lighting instruments selected specifically for this intimate space.
Student-directed work recently produced in the Dragon's Lair Theatre includes:
- Butterflies Are Free
- Bringing It All Back Home
- For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls
- Self Torture and Strenuous Exercise
The theatre production facilities include:
- Fully equipped costume shop
- Dressing rooms
- Makeup room
- Rehearsal space
- Faculty offices
- Design studio
- Scene shop
Our scene shop is located in a separate facility across campus. In recent years, we have replaced aging equipment, added welding and metal working capability, and have improved safety with the installation of a dust collection system.