Information Technology Services (ITS) FAQ
See also the ITS Knowledge Base page for details regarding various aspects of computing and training at Lycoming College.
- QuickLink on left of Lycoming web site for Information Technology: www.lycoming.edu/its
- Help Desk x4150 or email@example.com
- 7:30 am - 4:30 pm M-F, Student Help Desk x4388 during lab hours, Security at other times.
Outlook 2010 Email Standard
- Windows client installed on office and lab computers.
- Archive! Limited to 2 GB in live email; Archive is available.
- Web access: mail.lycoming.edu.
- Outlook functions: Calendar, Categories, Tasks, Mobile devices.
- Viruses and Spyware are filtered before coming into the campus network. Still be suspicious of attachments (.exe) and links in your messages.
- SPAM: Heuristics filter set to 5 of 10. Receive about 60,000 messages per day. Approximately 60% of incoming mail is being blocked.
Network / Internet
- Single user name/password. Manage Your Password
- Cisco-based network with Firewall & Packet Shaping. Allow downloads, but lower priority than email and web browsing. No limit on individual user bandwidth, monitor for student abuse.
- Personal network storage starts at 5 GB and can be increased as needed.
- Campus Manager: All computers and devices must register periodically from all campus ports or wireless.
- Cisco VPN Client for secure transparent use off campus.
- Cisco Web VPN for quick access from any device. (https://connect.lycoming.edu)
Desktop / Software Standards
- Save to “F” Drive (student “H”) ITS does not recover local C drives by policy.
- Network Printing: (No individual printers) Department charge-back. Paper supplied from Print Shop. Toner from Business Office. $.07/$.06 Black & White, $.22/$.20 Color. Duplex discount.
- Upgrading to Windows 8.1/Office 2013 on all office, lab and classroom computers.
- Microsoft and Adobe site license: Word, Excel, PowerPoint Access, Publisher, etc.
- MS System Center Endpoint Protection Anti-Virus/Spyware on all College computers. MS Essentials for student PC’s.
- Microsoft Word 2010/13 standard for all documents.
- Internet Explorer 10/11 official support for WebAdvisor, Web mail, Portal on PC. Support Firefox, Chrome, Safari when possible.
- Outlook 2010/13 client for reading campus mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Not supporting Third-party email clients using POP nor IMAP4.
- Moodle v2.6.3 is the standard for e-Learning.
- SPSS 22 statistics is the standard.
- Lab software must be purchased for every machine in one lab. Call Steve Caravaggio.
- Clicker receivers on all lecture computers. Doceri Annotation. Contact Steve or Help Desk.
Moodle 2.6.3 E-Learning Standard
- Approximately 190+ courses online.
- All course readings are put on Moodle
- One-on-One assistance. Contact Diane Salamone.
- Campus Manager registration, including mobile devices.
- Ethernet is faster than wireless.
- Classrooms, labs, library, lounges, administrative buildings, gym, etc.
- Please report “no signal” areas in buildings.
- Cycle: November for Faculty, December for Administrators, Committees Jan/Feb, Approval late April. Some lab & faculty purchases in April, rest after July 1.
- Letter to all directors, chairs, and faculty in November.
- Think about software in labs for the next year. Policy is that all or at least a complete lab must be populated.
- Plan needs including smaller devices (experimental equipment, USB devices, etc.).
- Electronic devices, such as cell phones, etc. are reviewed for policy compliance at the Business Office. Should be in the annual budget and have Cabinet approval.
- Personal calls with TAC code.
- Voice Mail access from on and off campus.
- Use email first (Student required to read College email per Student Handbook). Student cell phones are often long distance.
- Student cell number collected during Registration.
- Conference phone by request and multi-party.
- Calling cards available for travel.
- VOIP phone system – guides online.
- Labs: 5 Windows 8.1, 1 Mixed Graphics Lab with Macintosh. 1 Digital Media Lab with only Macintosh. Both running “Mavericks” OS.
- Proxy Server for Library Database off campus.
- Minimum of 30 days to get new software loaded in labs for testing and “reimaging” systems.
- Clicker software pre-installed.
- Mini lab in C203. 30 and 16 iPad carts, Laptop cart
- Call Steve Caravaggio in Computer Center to schedule labs for classes. Schedule posted in Academic Computing section of web site.
- Dell Laptop Initiative: see IT web site. 12% disc.
- AICUP: Microsoft purchases for employees and students. www.selectstudent.com
- Verizon 18% cell phone discount plan for personal use. Must be 570 (or new 272) area code.
- User Interface - Web access into Administrative Data, such as purchase orders.
- WebAdvisor - Web link into Administrative Data.
- Submitting grades, Degree Audit, Rosters, Payroll Timesheet Entry.
- Student Locator, Personnel Info, Work Order Requests, Dept budgets, etc.
- Budget Office purchase rules under Treasurer's Office portal site.
- Orientation: Email (500 MB), Webadvisor, network space, password reset, policies.
- ResNet 21st year. Self-install.
- Campus Manager: user authentication, Windows updates, MS Essentials Anti-virus/spyware mandatory.
- Printing/copying $30 credit/semester. $.07/$.06 Black & White, $.22/$.20 Color. Duplex discounts. Computers on ResNet not charged for local printing.
- Labs: Requires login, network space automatically available, systems secured.
- 1 GB network space after logging in. Backed up continuously.
- WebAdvisor : Grades seen immediately, Financial aid, Degree Audit, Room assignments, Class Schedule (no longer handed out), Freshman Orientation, etc.
- Most classrooms are equipped with permanent projectors.
- Media Services: 7 days to schedule Mobile Equipment.
- Overheads, screens, and network connections in every classroom.
- Make mobile TV requests from Media Services: see web site for live cable locations. Classrooms project video instead of having TVs.
- Wide screen 16:9 displays. See web site.
- Facility schedule is an online form and link under Campus Calendar.
- HD TV everywhere on campus.
- Content change requests to Elizabeth Greenaway. News write-ups to Marketing and Communications.
- Development requests to Bobby Brown, Web Developer. Programs new templates, menu features, and new functions.
- Cascade for users to change content on defined pages.
- myLyco portal for internal documents and collaborative workgroups. Link on top banner.