Did you ever wonder which planets outside our solar system may support life? Are you curious about the science behind space travel and exploration? If so, you may wish to consider the field of astrophysics. The study of astrophysics combines coursework in astronomy, physics, chemistry and mathematics to give you a clearer understanding of how planets and their environments develop and how the forces of nature continually transform the universe.
While you can major in astronomy or physics, the benefits of an astrophysics major include:
- Obtaining the equivalent of your bachelor of science in both astronomy and physics in just four years.
- Preparing for advanced study in astrophysics, astronomy and/or physics.
- Developing your research, data analysis and problem-solving skills for careers in:
- High tech corporations, like NASA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and various defense industries
- Educational programming for work in planetariums and museums
- Private- and government-sponsored research and development labs