Aggressive Student Behavior Policy
Aggressive behavior toward a College official is not tolerated at Lycoming College. Students identified as being responsible for such acts should expect to be held accountable under the procedure set forth in this policy. If someone believes he/she has been subjected to aggressive behavior by a student, he/she must report the incident to the Lycoming College Department of Safety and Security as soon as possible following the incident. The Department of Safety and Security will advise the individual of his/her right to file a complaint with the Williamsport Police.
A "College Official" is any person employed either full time or part time by the College to perform duties and tasks in order to fulfill the mission and function of the College
"Aggressive behavior" is defined as use or threat of physical violence, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health, safety, or physical well-being of any person.
Reporting An Incident
A College official who believes that she/he has been subjected to aggressive behavior by a student must report the incident to the Department of Safety and Security. Upon receipt of a report of aggressive behavior:
- A directive of “No Contact” with the complainant will be immediately issued;
- The President or the Dean of Student Affairs will determine whether or not interim suspension is warranted until adjudication of the alleged violation.
- The Dean of Student Affairs will request to speak to the class/club/team, etc. to acknowledge the incident, determine the well-being of the group, and advise that the matter is being addressed (the faculty member or staff member may deny this request).
Procedure for Adjudication of Aggressive Behavior Cases
All aggressive behavior complaints involving students against College officials, after reported to the Department of Safety and Security, will be referred to the College-Wide Student Conduct Board and will be adjudicated according to the student conduct procedures set forth in the Student Code of Conduct. (See Conduct Board Hearing in the Code of Conduct).
If it a student is found responsible for aggressive behavior toward a College official, in addition to sanctions outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, the following actions will occur:
- Faculty and staff who have or will have direct contact (i.e., teach, advise, coach) with the student in the current semester and the following semester will be notified of the student’s action;
- Faculty and staff who are victims of aggressive behavior will be notified of the outcome of the College-Wide Student Conduct Board hearing.