Biology 220: Environmental Biology
Comparing Information Source Types
Suggested Databases for Scholarly Articles:
Finding Government Documents:
- Look at the keywords and key phrases used in relevant articles
- Citation mining
- Backward – look at the bibliography of a relevant article.
- Forward – Use Google Scholar to see who has cited a relevant article.
- Author searching – Search an author’s name limited to the Author field to see what else he or she has written.
Reading & Synthesizing Strategies
- EasyBib can help you keep track of your sources. You can take notes directly in EasyBib.
- Label your article printouts with hashtags highlighting the main ideas as they relate to your research question. You can write those hashtags on index cards to help you look for trends across multiple articles. Those index cards can also help you create an outline for your paper.
- Create index cards for questions you still have to find information about in order to write your paper, then look for articles that address those questions.
Tip: Taking organized, paraphrased notes in addition to your highlighted article saves time and energy in the long run