Your Personal Computer and the Campus Network
Need help connecting your computer to the network? IT Services has two locations to provide assistance:
- Drop-in hours in the IT Services offices (basement of the Academic Center), Monday through Friday from 1-4 p.m.
Minimum specifications for network access
Access to the campus network requires Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 for PCs and 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.12 (Sierra), or 10.13 (High Sierra) for Macs.
Connecting your computer to the network
The College maintains a secure network. Access to the network is limited to those with a Lycoming College network account (all students receive this login information prior to New Student Orientation).
If you wish to use wireless or wired internet access, your computer will need to meet some basic requirements. The first time you access the internet, you will be prompted to download and install the FortiNAC persistent agent on your computer. This program scans your computer to ensure you have met the network’s requirements. For more information, refer to the Campus Manager policy.
In order to register a device on the campus network, you must first connect to either an active wired port, or to one of our campus wireless networks:
Wireless is the default internet access in all residence halls. Wired port activation is available on request. Submit an online Port Activation Request or call 570-321-4150.
Registering a device to the network
The first step in registering a device on the campus network is to connect either to an active network jack or to one of our campus wireless networks.
- For computers, phones, or tablets:
- Connect to Lyco-Secure SSID
- Navigate to CampusReg.lycoming.edu and complete the registration for Lycoming Students, Faculty and Staff
- For other internet enabled devices (Gaming Consoles, Google Homes, Alexas, etc...)
Please note that we do not support wireless printers, routers, or any device which interupts DNS or DHCP services on campus.
More information on the different Wi-Fi networks can be found here
You must have:
- All important operating system updates downloaded and installed (updates marked as optional are not required)
- An approved antivirus program installed and updated. These Antiviruses have been selected based on their Industry reputation for stability and effectiveness. While many devices come with antiviruses such as McAffe or Norton pre-installed, we have decided that due to vulnerabilities and historic shortcomings, we will not be supporting them.
- Windows Security Essentials (Windows 7 only) - Free - Download Here
- Windows Defender (Windows 8 & 10) - Free - Pre-installed, may need activated
- Avast Antivirus - Free or Paid versions - Download Here
- Sophos Antivirus - Free - Download Here
- Trend Micro Antivirus - Paid - Download Here
- Mac OS:
Any time your computer does not meet these two requirements, your computer will be isolated in a remediation network. This acts as a quarantine that allows you to update your system or download updates/install an approved antivirus program, but does not give full network access. Once you have completed any necessary updates, your full access will be restored.