Head of Safety and Security
Position posted on: 02-28-2019
Lycoming College seeks a leader for its Safety & Security Department. This position will be hired at the Coordinator or Director level depending on level of applicable experience in the various areas of responsibility. The head of the Safety & Security Department is responsible for ensuring the effective administration of Lycoming College’s safety and security, fire safety, and parking enforcement programs and is also responsible for ensuring compliance with state and federal laws/acts that require annual reports and assurance statements, such as the Clery Act, the PA Sexual Violence Protection Act, etc.
The job duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Supervise Safety & Security personnel, including ensuring adequate staffing coverage and continuous patrol of College property, participating in the recruitment and selection of security personnel, managing and evaluating their performance, and providing and developing effective training for the department
- Respond and coordinate the response to campus emergencies
- Actively participate in the coordination of the College’s safety programs in consultation with the Director of Human Resources, Director of Building & Grounds, and the Safety Committee
- Initiate, coordinate, and conduct safety education programing such as first aid classes, fire safety demonstrations, crime prevention, accident prevention etc.
- Coordinate, conduct, and report on safety inspections in consultation with other constituents on campus
- Coordinate program relating to fire alarm tests and fire drills conducted on campus and ensure that necessary files and records are maintained
- Maintain, review, and update the College’s security and emergency procedures manuals and other related policies and operating statements
- Develop and maintain formal and informal communication with municipal and state law enforcement agencies, the local fire department, and other agencies concerned with safety and accident prevention and to request assistance when needed
- Prepare and administer the department budget
- Assist in the College’s handling of allegations of sexual misconduct and prevention efforts
Required Experience & Qualifications:
The successful candidate will have excellent supervisory skills, scheduling skills, communication skills, investigatory skills, and a well-developed ability to work with a wide variety of constituents, including faculty, staff, College administrators, students, and community members. Prior applicable experience in a college setting is highly preferred. Candidates must possess a valid PA driver’s license, pass a motor vehicle check, criminal records background check, and drug screen.
To be considered for hire, candidates must possess the following:
- Director level: bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice Administration or a related field and five years of progressively-responsible applicable experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior supervisory experience required.
- Coordinator level: associate’s degree in Criminal Justice Administration or a related field and three years of applicable experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior supervisory experience required.
Send a cover letter and resume including the names and telephone numbers of three professional references. Please reference “Head of Safety & Security” in the subject line of the email.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
LYCOMING COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: As a matter of policy and/or applicable laws, Lycoming College does not discriminate in admission, employment or administration of its programs or activities on the basis of religion, ancestry, political belief, veteran status or sexual orientation.
POST-OFFER, PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN CONDUCTED