Lycoming College seeks a Director of Public Safety. The Director of Public Safety is responsible for ensuring the effective administration of Lycoming College’s safety and security, fire safety, and parking enforcement programs and is also responsible for ensuring compliance with state and federal laws/acts that require annual reports and assurance statements, such as the Clery Act, the PA Sexual Violence Protection Act, etc.
The job duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Supervise Safety & Security personnel, including ensuring adequate staffing coverage and continuous patrol of College property, participating in the recruitment and selection of security personnel, managing and evaluating their performance, and providing and developing effective training for the department
- Respond and coordinate the response to campus emergencies
- Actively participate in the coordination of the College’s safety programs in consultation with the Director of Human Resources, Director of Building & Grounds, and the Safety Committee
- Initiate, coordinate, and conduct safety education programing such as first aid classes, fire safety demonstrations, crime prevention, accident prevention etc.
- Coordinate, conduct, and report on safety inspections in consultation with other constituents on campus
- Coordinate programs relating to fire alarm tests and fire drills conducted on campus and ensure that necessary files and records are maintained
- Serve as the College’s point person for Clery Act compliance, including drafting and submitting the annual Clery Report
- Maintain, review, and update the College’s security and emergency procedures manuals and other related policies and operating statements
- Develop and maintain formal and informal communication with municipal and state law enforcement agencies, the local fire department, and other agencies concerned with safety and accident prevention and to request assistance when needed
- Prepare and administer the department budget
- Assist in the College’s handling of allegations of sexual misconduct and prevention efforts
The successful candidate will have excellent supervisory skills, scheduling skills, communication skills, investigatory skills, and a well-developed ability to work with a wide variety of constituents, including faculty, staff, College administrators, students, and community members. Prior applicable experience in a college setting is highly preferred. Candidates must possess a valid PA driver’s license, pass a motor vehicle check, criminal records background check, and drug screen.
To be considered for hire, candidates must possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice Administration or a related field and five years of progressively-responsible applicable experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior supervisory experience required.
Founded in 1812, Lycoming College is one of the nation's oldest and most respected residential liberal arts colleges. Lycoming is ranked by Forbes as a Top ROI College and by The Princeton Review as one of The 385 Best Colleges. Lycoming College's strong endowment-per-student and fiscal acumen provide the foundation to support a first-rate undergraduate education. The College is dedicated to providing a high-quality liberal arts and sciences education including more than 100 majors, minors, and concentrations. Our community of scholars collaborate with and mentor our diverse student body of approximately 1,200 active learners, including 35 percent international and domestic students of color, representing over 50 states, territories, and countries. Students compete in 17 NCAA Division III sports, participate in faculty-driven research, thrive in a robust program of internships, and study abroad in more than two dozen countries. Lycoming is located in Williamsport, PA, a city rich in the arts and ideally situated for outdoor recreation. Williamsport is the site of a world-class healthcare system (UPMC Susquehanna), modern manufacturing, federal offices and county seat, energy and natural gas resources, and home to and the birthplace of the Little League World Series. Learn more at www.lycoming.edu.
Lycoming College proudly celebrates and values diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive campus community supporting all faculty, staff, and students. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and all who are interested in supporting and contributing to our mission. Lycoming College is an equal opportunity employer.