Lycoming College Quiz 9
Chem 110, 2002
Mark your Scantron form. Be sure your name is on the form.
1. Which of the following subshell notations reflects an atom in the ground state?
a. 1s2 2s22p2 3s23p4 4s2
b. 1s2 2s22p6 3s33p6 3d5
c. 1s2 2s22p6 3s33p6 4s23d7
d. 1s2 2s22p6 3s2 4s2
e. 1s2 2s22p6 3s22d103p2
2. How many electrons are there in a filled 4d subshell?
a. 2 b. 6 c. 10 d. 14 e. 18
3. Which of the following orbital diagrams is not a correct ground state representation?
a. [Ne] 3s 3p
b. [Ne] 3s 3p
c. [Ne] 3s 3p
d. [Ne] 3s 3p
e. [Ne] 3s 3p
4. What is the number of unpaired electrons in a neutral cobalt atom?
5. Which element would have the following electron configuration in the ground state? 1s2 2s22p6 3s23p6 4s13d5
6. For which element would the atoms be expected to be paramagnetic?
7. The following species are isoelectronic, meaning they have the same number of electrons and the same electron configuration. Which species would have the smallest radius?
a. Si4- b. P3- c. S2- d. K+ e. Ca2+
8. Which of the following neutral atoms has the smallest atomic radius?
a. C b. N c. O d. S e. Se
9. Which of the following elements has the smallest first ionization energy?
a. Be b. Mg c. Ca d. Rb e. F
10. Given the following successive ionization energies (in eV), predict which element they correspond to.
IE1 IE2 IE3
9 18 154
a. Li b. Be c. B d. C e. N
11. How many unpaired electrons are there in the ground state of the ion Fe2+ (Fe(II))?
12. Which of the following elements will form an acidic oxide?
a. Li b. Mg c. Ba d. Fe e. Se