The Idalion excavation will run from June 26 to August 4. The dig welcomes volunteers for a minimum 2-week stay. We currently accept volunteers at two different levels:
- For 425€ / $575 per week, we accept volunteers with access to all the instruction, transportation to field trips, etc., who register as audit students. The maximum dig fee for these students is 2,000€ / $2,700 for the full seven weeks of excavation. These students will also pay an audit fee of $250 to the college. See the Field School Information page for details on applying to the college.
- The second category of volunteers includes volunteers who are not affiliated with Lycoming College in any way. For 425€ / $575 per week (minimum 2-week stay) volunteers will have access to all lectures, but will be asked to pay up to a 50€ transportation fee for field trips. If an unaffiliated volunteer chooses to stay for the entire 7 weeks, volunteer fees will be 2,000€ / $2,700.
Airfare is not included in the cost — Volunteers are responsible for all transportation costs on and off the island.
In order to participate in the field school, please take the following steps (you might want to highlight and print off these instructions):
- Download, print and complete the application form (pdf) that is located on this website. Click on Dig Application Form. If you cannot download or print the form, email Elizabeth Treptow at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will send you a form by mail or email.
- Be sure to read through the application form carefully and save necessary pages as it contains detailed instructions as to how completed forms should be submitted, as well as payment and acceptance instructions.
- If you do not have a current passport, contact your local prothonotary (at the county court house) immediately and find out what you need to do to initiate the process. Allow TWO MONTHS from time of application to receiving your passport.
The Excavation Director, Dr. Pamela Gaber, can be contacted for further information at email@example.com or at (570) 321-4299 (after March 11, 2014 at 011-357-99-077057).
The Assistant to the Director, Elizabeth Treptow, can be contacted for further informaton at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (609) 672-4466.
Return to Idalion