Independent Studies and Research Opportunities
Some of the independent studies have involved binary star orbits, supernova mechanisms, planetary atmospheres, gravitation, fractal geometry, and mathematical physics. Research opportunities include using the department's radio telescope, as well as work in liquid crystal and biophysics. Departmental honors projects have included nuclear mass modeling and relativistic quantum mechanics.
Lycoming students spend their summers completing Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) or Research for Undergraduates (RUG) at several different location.
Here are a few recent summer placements:
- Nicole Gugliucci — MIT's Haystack Observatory and at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO)'s Very Large Array (Socorro, NM)
- Scott Moerschbacher — Purdue University
- Mark O'Brien — Purdue University and University of Florida
- Adrienne Horvath —University of Georgia at Athens
- Erin Mastrantonio — University of Connecticut and University of Wyoming
- Christina Nestlerode — University of Oklahoma
- Eric Kalix — Casper College (WY) and Texas A&M University
- Rebecca Jervey — Casper College (WY) and Texas A&M University
- Zach Schiffler — Bucknell University