Archaeological Field School in Cyprus
Lycoming College Expedition to Idalion, Cyprus
- Gain first-hand digging experience!
- Train to be a dig supervisor!
- Live in the heartland of Cyprus!
- Experience Cypriote cuisine!
This summer, Lycoming College sponsors an archaeological field school in the Republic of Cyprus. Join us for an incredible adventure! We will be digging at the site of the ancient city of Idalion.
The island of Cyprus was an important trade center and cultural 'crossroad' in antiquity, controlled and influenced in different periods by the Mycenaean civilization, the sea-faring Phoenicians and the Philistines of the Bible, Archaic Greece, the Persians in Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Roman Empire, and even Christian Byzantium! But Cyprus also influenced other cultures as well, as evidenced by the presence of Cypriot copper and pottery all over the Mediterranean world--including important sites like Bronze Age biblical Megiddo.
Idalion itself was the center of a thriving copper trade operating throughout the ancient Mediterranean world. It also housed the religious cult of the Great Mother and her consort, later known to the Greeks as Aphrodite and Adonis, and includes a great Adonis sanctuary that will continue to be uncovered this summer.
- You can earn 4 college credits, 6 college credits, audit, or come as a volunteer.
- No prior experience is necessary.
- Undergraduate credit can be earned through Lycoming College.