CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


PIKE COUNTY PA


1. Greentown Hemlock Grove United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\pike\greentown_hemlock.jpg

Address: 491 Roemerville Road, Greentown 18426
Municipality:
Greene township
County:
Pike County
State:
PA

Directions: Hemlock Grove Road passes through Greentown and connects PA 507 and PA 447.  The church is 1.5 miles south of Greentown, where Hemlock Grove Road intersects with Roemerville Road to the east.

Historic Conference: Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The site for this church building was a gift from Jesse R. Burrus in 1873.  The sanctuary was dedicated July 21, 1875.  For many years La Anna was part of the four-point South Sterling charge consisting of Sterling and South Sterling in Wayne County, and Hemlock Grove and La Anna in Pike County.  This building appears to have been known locally in the early years as the Kipptown Methodist Episcopal Church.


2. La Anna United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\pike\la_anna.jpg

Address: PA Route 191, South Sterling 18460
Municipality:
Greene township
County:
Pike County
State:
PA

Directions: on PA 191, 6 miles south of Newfoundland in the village of LaAnna

Historic Conference: Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: La Anna was formerly known as Houcktown.  Until 1889 there were no religious services at all in the village, and the people had to travel 2.5 miles north to South Sterling to meet their spiritual needs.  In January of that year a community Sunday School was organized in the school house, and the Methodists began supplying bi-weekly preaching services there that fall.  The present building, the community's first, was dedicated June 21, 1899.  For many years La Anna was part of the four-point South Sterling charge consisting of Sterling and South Sterling in Wayne County, and Hemlock Grove and La Anna in Pike County.


3. Paupack United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\pike\paupack.jpg

Address: PA Route 507, Paupack 18451
Municipality:
Palmyra township
County:
Pike County
State:
PA

Directions: on PA 507, 4 miles south of US 6

Historic Conference: Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: This congregation existed as a school house appointment for many years.  Before Lake Wallenpaupack was created, Paupack was part of a three-point charge with two Wayne County churches, Arlington and Hemlock Hollow [Purdyville].