CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


LACKAWANNA COUNTY PA


1.  Carbondale First United Methodist Church

Address: 20 North Church Street
Municipality: city of Carbondale
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     Carbondale is on US 6.  Church Street is one block east of US 6 (Main Street).  The church is on the east side of the street, between the cross streets of Salem and Lincoln Avenues.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1830 with the first church built in 1832.  A second church was dedicated in 1850, and it served as the host church for the organizing Wyoming Annual Conference on July 8, 1852, and for the annual conferences of 1865 and 1882.  It was during the annual conference of 1865 that word of Lincoln’s assassination was received, and the church bell was rung to announce the news to the city.  That building was torn down in 1892 and a new building erected, which hosted the annual conference of 1895.  A fire consumed most of the new church in 1901, and the present church was built in 1903 and dedicated on March 8 of that year.  The original bell was damaged beyond repair by the 1901 fire.  I addition to sounding the news of Lincoln’s death, it had been for years the city’s only bell – sounding the hour of the day and serving as a fire alarm.  617 pounds of the bell were re-melted and are part of the present bell, another 145 pounds were formed into souvenir bells that sold for $1 each.  Over the years the congregation maintained two mission chapels: No. 4 Chapel above White’s Station (Simpson) erected in 1874, and 114 Belmont Street purchased in 1897.


2.  Chinchilla United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: chinchilla

Address: Church Street & Layton Road, village of Chinchilla
Municipality:
South Abington township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the interchange of US11 and I-476, go 1 mile south on US 11 to Layton Road.  Go 1 mile east on Layton Road to Church Street.  The church is on the northwest corner.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1818.  The first church was built and dedicated in 1868.  In 1905, a building used by the Baptists on Holgate Avenue was transformed into a Methodist Church.  In 1924 a new church was built about where I-81 crosses Layton Road.  When Interstate 81 was proposed in the 1950s, the church was in its path, and the building condemned.  The present church on Church Street was completed by Christmas Eve, 1961, when its first services were held. 


3.  Clarks Green United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: 17

Address: 119 Glenburn Road
Municipality:
borough of Clarks Green
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the stoplight in Clarks Green at State Street [US 11] and Grove Street [PA 407], go 1 mile east on Grove Street to the T with Abington Road and take a sharp left onto Glenburn Road.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1867 and the first church was built in 1868.  One hundred years later, church members decided to raze the old church and build a new sanctuary which was dedicated on Oct.  21, 1969. 


4.  Clarks Summit United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: 17

Address: Morgan Highway & West Grove Street
Municipality:
borough of Clarks Summit
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the stoplight in Clarks Green at State Street [US 11] and Grove Street [PA 407], go 2 mile west on Grove Street to Morgan Highway.  The church is on the northeast corner of Morgan Highway and West Grove Street.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1890, and the first church was built on Center Street in 1892.  By the following year it was clear the building was too small for the congregation, and a second church was built across the street and dedicated in 1895.  It was enlarged in 1907 and 1913.  The congregation continued to grow and prosper and by the 1960s, it looked to building a new and larger church.  It was built at the intersection of Morgan Highway and Grove Street, and dedicated in 1967.


5.  Cortez United Methodist Church

Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2012-06-20\001.jpg

Address: 967 Cortez Road
Municipality: Jefferson township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From the interchange of I-84 and PA 247 at Mt.  Cobb, go east on PA 348 ½ mile to Cortez Road.  Go north on Cortez Road 6 miles.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1890 and a wooden church building constructed in 1895.  It was called the Kizer church until 1908 when the town of Kizers was renamed Cortez.


6.  Countryside Community United Methodist Church

CountryChurch3 

Address: 14011 Orchard Drive
Municipality:
Newton township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the south end of Clarks Summit, go 2 miles west on PA 307 [Morgan Highway – Winola Road] to the split with Newton-Ransom Boulevard.  Bear left on to Newton-Ransom Boulevard and go 3 miles to Orchard Drive.  T
urn north onto Orchard Drive. The church is on the left side of the road about half way up the hill.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     Countryside Community Church was established on July 1, 2008, by bringing together the former Milwaukee, Newton, Ransom and Schultzville United Methodist congregations into a common worship at the former Newton Church.  A new facility was constructed on Orchard Drive, and the first worship service there took place Sept. 2, 2012.

 


7.  Daleville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Daleville.JPG Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nepaphotos/Feb2/Daleville%20PA%20Methodist%20Protestant%20Church.jpg

Address: PA 435, village of Daleville
Municipality:
Covington township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:
    From Moscow, go 3 miles south on PA 435.  The church is 1 block south of PA 502, on the right side of the road.

Historic Conference:
    New York Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church

Brief History:
    The congregation was organized in 1826.  By 1847, a Methodist Protestant Meeting House became a reality.  In 1876, the present church was built.  Daleville came into the Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Church in 1939, along with sister former Methodist Protestant churches Bloomington and Lehigh, as the home church in the three-point Daleville charge.


8.  Dalton United Methodist Church

Address: 125 South Turnpike Road
Municipality: borough of Dalton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the stoplight in Dalton at Lackawanna Trail [US 11] and Main Street [PA 632], go 1 block east on Main Street to Turnpike Road.  Go south 1 block on Turnpike Road.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1865 and first met in the Six Principles Baptist Church on the site of what is now the Dalton Fire House.  Money was appropriated for a separate chapel in 1875.  However, the first church to rise on the site of the present one was dedicated in 1888.  On Christmas night of 1904 the church was damaged by fire, and a new facility was built and dedicated in 1906.  In 1957, fire struck again, and the present church was built and dedicated the following year.


9.  Dickson City Bradley Memorial UM Church

Address: 106 Lincoln Street
Municipality:
borough of Dickson City
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
  Going north on I-81, get off at exit 190.  At the end of the ramp, at the red light at Main Avenue, turn left and go one block west to Johnson Avenue.  Turn right on Johnson Avenue and go two blocks north to Lincoln Street.  Turn left on Lincoln Street and go ½ block west.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This congregation was organized in 1909 as SCRANTON CITY LINE and chartered in 1910 as SCRANTON TABERNACLE.  In 1912 the congregation purchased property at North Main Avenue and Boundary Street, just within the city limits of Scranton, and became SCRANTON BRADLEY MEMORIAL – meeting in the basement of a projected church complex.  Despite a promising effort in 1927, the congregation never completed the facility although it proved to be a suitable place for worship.  In 1957 the state announced plans to build a new road through the property, and it was condemned with a decision made to relocate in adjacent Dickson City.  The final service in the old building was Christmas Day 1957.  The present building, this time a ‘real’ sanctuary, was opened for worship August 16, 1959.


10.  Dunmore United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\Dunmore.JPG

Address: 222 S.  Blakely Street [PA 347]
Municipality:
Dunmore township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From the interchange of I-81 and PA 347, go 1 mile south on Blakely Street [PA 347].  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation was organized in 1851, and first met in a schoolhouse and later a union church serving several denominations.  The First Methodist Episcopal Church on Chestnut Street was built and dedicated in 1861.  It was decided to sell the building and relocate on Blakely Street and the present church was dedicated in 1889.


11.  East Benton United Methodist Church

 

Address: Jordan Hollow Road
Municipality: Benton township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From the interchange of I-81 and PA 438, go ½ mile west on PA 438 to the Y in the road.  Bear right onto Jordan Hollow Road and go 1 mile.  The church is off to the right, down an embankment. 

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation in the area was first organized in 1847, but it floundered.  An 1870 revival saw a new Franklin Valley Methodist Episcopal Church emerge in what was known as the Red Schoolhouse.  In 1885, the building was no longer needed for educational purposes and sold to the congregation, which had it moved.  By 1985, the building was deemed too small, and a new building was erected on a new site about ¼ miles from the old building (pictured above on the right).  On November 27, 1994, the first Sunday worship service was held in the present building. 


12.  Jermyn First United Methodist Church

Address: 520 Washington Avenue
Municipality:
borough of Jermyn
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     The borough of Jermyn if off US 6, 4 miles south of Carbondale.  From the intersection of US 6 and PA 107, go ½ mile east on PA 107 to Washington Avenue.  Go 2 blocks south on Washington Avenue.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation was organized in 1867 of early settlers of Rushdale, later to be known as Gibsonburg.  A new church was dedicated in 1873.  The following year, Gibsonburg became known as Jermyn.  A decision was made in 1890 to demolish the original church and construct a new one – the present church – that was dedicated in 1891.  The front of the church sanctuary was completely renovated in 1918. 


13.  Maple Lake United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: MapleLake.JPG

Address: 632 PA 690, village of Maple Lake
Municipality:
Spring Brook township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:
    From the interchange of I-380 and PA 690, go east 1,5 miles on PA 690.  The church is 1 block east of PA 307 on the corner of PA 690 and Harriet Drive, on the south side of the road.

Historic Conference:
   
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Early Methodist preaching at ‘Rattlesnake Pond’ as Maple Lake was then known began in 1870.  The church was incorporated in 1876 and celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2001.


14.  Montdale United Methodist Church

Address: PA 247, village of Montdale
Municipality:
Scott township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From the interchange of I-81 and US 6, north of Scranton, go 5 miles east on US 6 to PA 247.  Go 4 miles north on PAA47 to the village of Montdale.  The church is off the road on the left as you enter the village.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation was organized around 1870, and worshipped in the old Scott Valley Baptist Church that sat where the Scott Valley Cemetery is now.  A new church was built in 1874 and dedicated the following year.  It was incorporated in 1898 as the Scott Valley Methodist Episcopal Church.  The church celebrated its 125th anniversary in 1999.


15.  Moosic United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Desktop\Moosic.JPG

Address: 609 Main Street
Municipality:
borough of Moosic
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     Main Street goes off US 11 to the west, in the southern part of Moosic, one block north of where PA 502 foes off to the east.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation was organized in 1892 and the first building was built in 1893 and dedicated on September 16, 1894.  Floods in 1903 and 1955 greatly damaged the church.  The original church was near the Moosic Hose Company but moved to the Hutchison property across the street following the damage caused by Hurricane Diane in 1955.  The present church was dedicated in 1957.


16.  Moscow United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Moscow.JPG

Address: 120 Church Street, town of Moscow
Municipality:
Madison township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the interchange of I-380 and PA 690, go 3 miles east on PA 690.  The church is on PA 690 [Church Street] 1 block west of PA 345, on the north side of the street.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation originates from around 1826.  The first church was erected in 1853 and dedicated in 1854.  It was hit by fire in 1923.  The present church was built the following year.


17.  Old Forge First United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\OldForgeFirst.jpg

Address: 141 Harrison Street
Municipality:
borough of Old Forge
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:  
     Harrison Street goes off Main Street to the west, in the southern part town. 

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     A Methodist society was incorporated in 1892.  The present church was dedicated on April 22, 1897.


18.  Old Forge Stewart Memorial UM Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\OldForge.StewartMem.jpg

Address: 174 N.  Main street
Municipality:
borough of Old Forge
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     Main Street is the major north-south route west of the Lackawanna River, paralleling US 11, which is east of the Lackawanna.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This northern section of Old Forge used to be the separate town and post office of Rendham, and the appointment was sometimes referred to by that name.  This class was part of the Taylor charge for a while and was served by students from Wyoming Seminary.  In the spring of 1890 both John Stewart and his wife died and were buried at one time.  Family members donated a lot from the Stewart homestead and built the church as a memorial to their parents.  The cornerstone was laid on October 10, 1891.  The parsonage next door, to the north, was erected in 1897.


19.  Peckville United Methodist Church

Address: 723 Main Street, community of Peckville
Municipality:
borough of Blakely
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:
     From interchange #190 of I-81, go 5 miles east on Main Street (which at one point bears to the right).  The church is on the left, ½ block past the intersection with PA 247.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation originates from around 1856 when the area was part of the Blakely Mission circuit.  The first church was built and dedicated in 1868.  That church was moved and the present church built in 1894.


20.  Scranton Asbury United Methodist Church
       [Scranton Green Ridge]

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\ScrantonAsbury.JPG

Address: 720 Delaware Street
Municipality:
city of Scranton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From downtown Scranton, go north on the US 11 – PA 307 freeway, across the Lackawanna River to the Main Avenue interchange.  Go about 1 mile to the Providence section and turn right onto Green Ridge Street, a main intersection.  Go ½ mile and turn left onto Monsey Street.  Go one block to Delaware Street.  The church is on the corner of Monsey and Delaware Streets.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Methodist preaching in the area dates from 1793, when Bishop Francis Asbury came through and helped organize a class at Brother Howe’s in Capouse (now Providence).  An actual congregation originates from 1873 when union services were held in the Green Ridge depot of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company.  In 1876, a Green Ridge class of Methodists began meeting in the Good Templars Hall on Dickson Avenue.  A lot was purchased at the corner of Monsey Avenue and Delaware Street in 1880, a chapel was built in 1882 which was known as the Green Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1886 a tabernacle was added which was soon found to be inadequate.  The present church was built in 1891, when the name of the congregation was changed to Asbury.


21.  Scranton Court Street United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\ScrantonCourtStreet.JPG

Address: 816 Court Street
Municipality:
city of Scranton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From downtown Scranton, go north on the US 11 – PA 307 freeway, across the Lackawanna River to the 7th Avenue exit.  Follow 7th Avenue west (it becomes Providence Road) ¾ mile to Court Street.  Turn right onto Court Street and go one block.  The church is on the left, at the corner of Court Street and Short Avenue.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation was formed after the Young Men’s Christian Association held a series of revival meetings in 1874 in the Park Place schoolhouse.  A chapel was dedicated on the corner of Court Street and Short Avenue on Easter Sunday, 1875.  A Park Place charge was formed the following year. The old chapel was sold in 1891 and moved a few hundred feet to 1216 Short Avenue.  A new church was dedicated on the original site in 1892.  The church’s name was changed from Park Place to Court Street in 1895.


22.  Scranton Elm Park United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\ScrantonElmPark.JPG

Address: 712 Linden Street
Municipality:
city of Scranton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     The church is on the corner of Linden Street and Jefferson Avenue, in center-city Scranton.  Jefferson Avenue, at this point, is US 11 and PA 307 passing through the center-city.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation organized in Slocum Hollow around 1840. The following year a village chapel was commenced, and completed in 1842.  In 1855, it was decided to build a new house of worship and the Adams Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church was completed in 1858.  The church was enlarged and rededicated in 1880. In 1891, that church was sold and a decision was made to rebuild where Elm Park now stands.  Two days after the church was dedicated in 1892, it was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt in 1893, and fire again destroyed that church.  On Dec. 7, 1893, the thrice built church was dedicated. For much of the next 115 years, the church served as the host site of the old Wyoming Annual Conference each spring.


23.  Scranton Embury United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\ScrantonEmbury.JPG

Address: 940 South Main Avenue
Municipality:
city of Scranton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
          From downtown Scranton, go north on the US 11 – PA 307 freeway, across the Lackawanna River to the Main Avenue interchange.  Go 1.5 miles south on Main Avenue.  The church is on the right, at the corner of Main Avenue and Bryn Mawr Street,

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
In 1872, a former Protestant Methodist congregation organized a house of worship at the corner of Hampton and Ninth Streets, but in 1882 the church building was sold by the Sheriff, and gave birth to the South Hampton Street Methodist Episcopal Church. Around the turn of the century the congregation voted to build a new church on South Main Avenue, and the name was changed to Embury in 1901.  The present church was dedicated on May 4, 1902.


24.  Scranton Myrtle Street United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\ScrantonMyrtleStreet.JPG

Address: 840 Harrison Avenue
Municipality:
city of Scranton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     Enter Scranton from the north on the US 11 – PA 307 expressway, which becomes Mulberry Street in downtown Scranton.  When US 11 and PA 307 turn, continue straight on Mulberry Street and ¾ miles to Harrison Avenue, a main intersection.  Turn left on Harrison Avenue and go ½ mile to Myrtle Street.  The church is on the right, at the corner of Harrison Avenue and Myrtle Street.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
A congregation originally organized around 1890. By 1894 its members met at the corner of Ash and James Streets in a Peoples Union Mission chapel.  It was known as the Ash Street Methodist Episcopal Church.  A decision was made to move the church to Myrtle Street, and the present church was erected and dedicated in 1907.


25.  Scranton St.  Paul’s United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\ScrantonStPauls.JPG

Address: Birch Street
Municipality:
city of Scranton
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     Leave downtown Scranton heading south on US 11 (Pittston Avenue).  Go about 7 blocks to Birch Street, a main intersection.  Turn left on Birch Street and go 2 blocks east to Prospect Avenue.  The church is on the left, on the northeast corner of Birch Street and Prospect Avenue.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The present church has its roots in two local congregations. A Cedar Avenue Mission emerged in what was then called Slocum Flats in 1884, and became the Cedar Avenue M.E. Church in 1892.  A decision was made to construct a new church at the corner of Pearl and Pittston streets and was renamed St. Paul’s in 1902.  Meanwhile, missionary work among the Germans had also begun, and by 1885 meetings were held in Scranton Public School #10 at the corner of Prospect Avenue and Beech Street. Nearby land was purchased at the intersection of Prospect and Birch streets on which to build a church which was dedicated in 1885.  In 1940, congregations from both the Prospect Avenue Church and St. Paul’s decided to merge under the name of St. Paul’s, but at the Birch Street location.


26.  Taylor First United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: F:\loyer\pictures x county\lackawanna\Taylor.First.JPG

Address: 402 South Main Street
Municipality:
borough of Taylor
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:  
     Main Street is the major north-south route west of the Lackawanna River, paralleling US 11 which is east of the Lackawanna.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This class was organized about 1852 as part of the Pittston circuit and worshiped in the Presbyterian church for 40 years.  They erected a parsonage in 1882 on land donated by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad.  The church was erected on a lot purchased from the railroad and dedicated October 30, 1892.


27.  Thornhurst United Methodist Church

poconos 006

Address: 126 River Road, village of Thornhurst
Municipality: Lehigh township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:
   
From the interchange of I-380 with PA 507 and PA 435, go 2 miles north on PA 435 to the red light at Clifton Beach Road.  Go east 8 miles on Clifton Beach Road (name changes to River Road) to the village of Thornhurst.  The church is just past Bear Lake Road, on the left side of the road.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:

A church was built here in 1858. It was razed in 1924, and on Oct. 31 of that year a new edifice was dedicated.


28.  Throop United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2011-06-14 june14\Throop.JPG

Address: 136 Charles Street
Municipality:
borough of Throop
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the interchange of I-81 with PA 347, go 2/3 miles east on PA 347 to Sanderson Street, a main intersection.  Turn left on Sanderson Street and go ¼ miles to Charles Street, a main intersection.  Turn left on Charles Street and go 1.5 blocks.  The church is on the left. 

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:

The church was built in 1882 for the Primitive Methodists by the Pancoast Coal Company. A few years later, it was sold to the Baptists, and then in 1892 the Methodist Episcopal Church took it over. The congregation grew and felt the need for a new church, and ground was broken in 1923. The new church was erected at a cost of $27,000 and dedicated in 1924.


29.  Tompkinsville United Methodist Church

Address: PA 107, village of Tompkinsville
Municipality:
Greenfield township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     From the interchange of I-81 and PA 107, go 3 miles east on PA 107, through the intersection at Tompkinsville.  The church is the second building on the left, past the intersection.  To access the church parking lot, turn left at the intersection.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:

A Sunday School was organized around 1835 on the Solomon Wedeman farm not too far from present-day Tompkinsville. In 1850, Homer Davison donated land on which to build a church, and it was dedicated on Sept. 29, 1852. The sanctuary was completely remodeled in 1975.


30.  Waverly United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: waverly

Address: 103 Church Street, village of Waverly
Municipality: Abington township
County:
Lackawanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
    From the stoplight in Dalton at Lackawanna Trail [US 11] and Main Street [PA 632], go 2 miles east on Main Street [PA 632] to PA 407.  Go 1 block south on PA 407 to Church Street.  Go west on Church Street one-half block.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:

The first Methodist class was organized in 1832 when the area was known as Abington, and services were eventually held in a schoolhouse. A church was organized in 1843. The name changed from Abington to Waverly in 1871, and a decade later significant building improvements were made. In 1890, the church was hit by lightning and reopened on Dec. 14 of that year. In 1921, the church was destroyed by fire. Nine months later, on Dec. 9, 1921, a new church was dedicated.