CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


FULTON COUNTY PA


 

1. Center United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Center

Address: 3195 Doran Road
Municipality:
Taylor township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Hustontown, go 6 miles north on PA 655 to the crossroads.  Turn east on Dublin Mills Road and go 1 mile to Doran Road.  The church is at the intersection, on the right.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     A Sunday School was organized at the Center Schoolhouse, 150 yards north of the present building, about 1834.  Taylor Chapel, a one-room church and school building was erected at the present site in 1867, destroyed by fire in 1902, and rebuilt.  The community building across the road was erected in 1954.  The four Sunday School rooms were added to the sanctuary in 1958.


2. Cito United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Cito   Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2012-09-03\004.jpg

Address: 3746 Cito Road
Municipality:
Ayr township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     Cito Road leaves Main Street [PA 16] in McConnellsburg at the east end of town (across from McDonald’s) as South Seventh Street.  Follow Cito Road south 3.5 miles.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     In 1908, concerned laypeople from McConnellsburg began a summer Sunday School in the Spring House Valley School, a few hundred yards west of the present building.  In 1910, the pastor from McConnellsburg held a revival at the Cito AME Church, still in operation about ½ mile to the north.  In 1912 a building was erected and a congregation formed with 33 charter members.  The present new sanctuary was erected in 2003.


3. Clear Ridge United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Clear Ridge

Address: 3886 Clear Ridge Road [PA 475]
Municipality:
Dublin township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is 4 miles north of Hustontown on PA 475, on the right side of the road.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The land for this church was donated in 1859 by Nathan and Susan Baker.  Construction of the building by the men of the community was interrupted by the Civil War and completed after the war.  The parking lot to the north, formerly the site of the community school, was purchased in 1925.


4. Ebenezer United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\ebeni.jpg

Address: 226 Ebenezer Church Road
Municipality:
Belfast township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Harrisonville, go 7 miles south on PA 655 to the jog in the road by the campmeeting ground.  Turn west into Ebenezer Church Road and go 1.5 miles.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The oldest grave in the cemetery dates from 1851, but the congregation’s first building appears to date from about 1884.  The present structure was erected in 1889.


5. Fairview United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\fview.jpg

Address: 2288 North Hess Road
Municipality:
Taylor township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Hustontown, go 1 mile toward Waterfall on PA 655.  When PA 655 bears to the right, go straight onto North Hess Road.  Follow North Hess Road for 3 miles.  The church is on the right, just after going under the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     Services were held in area homes beginning in the 1820’s.  The first church was built in 1859, and the present church was erected on adjacent land in 1899 – after which the original building was sold and removed.

 


6. Knobsville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\knobsville.jpg

Address: 11048 Waterfall Road [PA 475]
Municipality:
Dublin township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the interchange of the PA turnpike with US 522, go south on US 522 2.5 miles to PA 475,  Go west on PA 475 ½ mile.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first church was built at the old cemetery in 1844.  A new church was erected in 1886.  The congregation acquired the former school property to the north in 1916 and the picnic grounds in 1956.  In 1990 the congregation received the members of nearby Bethlehem (former United Brethren) UMC.  The new facility at the present location was dedicated in 2003. 


7. Harrisonville Asbury United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\harrisonville_asbury.jpg

Address: 7404 Lincoln Highway [US 30]
Municipality:
Licking Creek township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Harrisonville, go 6 miles west on US 30.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This congregation was organized in 1836, and the ground upon the church was erected was purchased in 1839.  For many years the Harrisonville charge was known as the Licking Creek charge.


8. McConnellsburg United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\mcconnellsburg.jpg

Address: 121 North Second Street [US 522]
Municipality:
borough of McConnellsburg
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on the southwest corner of Second and Market Streets, across from the courthouse.  Market Street is parallel to and two blocks north of Lincoln Way [PA 16]

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first church was a stone structure erected in 1843 on Third Street, site of the present Methodist Cemetery.  A brick church was erected at the present location in 1870, and the present building was dedicated in 1925.  The house to the south of the church was purchased in 1956 and used for Sunday School until it became the parsonage in 1958.  The church was on the Licking Creek [Harrisonville] charge until 1843, and then with Mercersburg for two years before becoming the seat of the McConnellsburg charge in 1845.

 


9. Rehoboth United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\siloam.jpg

Address:
2328 Tollgate Ridge Road [PA928]
Municipality:
Thompson township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:

     From the intersection, east of Warfordsburg, of PA 484 and PA 655, go south on PA 655 1.7 miles to Timber Ridge Road.  Turn left on Timber Ridge Road and go 1.4 miles to Orchard Road.  Turn right on Orchard Road 0.6 miles to PA 928.  Turn left on PA 928 and go north 1.9 miles.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
    
Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Rehoboth, Warfordsburg and Little Cove [Franklin County] have been served together since their founding.  When the Central Pennsylvania Conference was formed in 1869, they were part of the large Hancock MD circuit – and so they remained in the Baltimore Conference.  Two other Pennsylvania churches on that circuit were Black Oak and Buck Valley.  In 1921 a Warfordsburg charge was formed, and in 1924 a parsonage was purchased in Warfordsburg.  In 1944 the Warfordsburg charge was dissolved and mostly taken into the Morgan WV circuit (with the Little Cove returning to the Hancock circuit).  In 1947 the Warfordsburg charge was reformed with 3 churches (Warfordsburg, Rehoboth and Little Cove) in PA and 1 church (Piney Plains) and the parsonage (Little Orleans) in MD.  When the conferences were redefined along state lines in 1962, Warfordsburg, Rehoboth and Little Cove came into the Central Pennsylvania Conference as a charge without a parsonage – and have remained so ever since.


10. Siloam United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Rehobeth

 

 

 

 

 

Address: 9541 Pleasant Ridge Road [PA 655]
Municipality:
Licking Creek township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Harrisonville, go 2 miles south on PA 655.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This church building was erected in 1878, and the addition wascompleted in the 1950’s.


11. Warfordsburg United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\fulton\warfordsburg.jpg

Address: Barnhart’s Store Lane, village of Warfordsburg
Municipality:
Bethel township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the interchange of I-70 and US 522, go south one block on the extension of US 522 to PA 484.  Turn east on PA 484 and go ½ mile (past the high school) into the village of Warfordsburg.  Turn north at the store onto the only lane going north off PA 484 and go one block.  The church is the last building on the left.

Historic Conference:
    
Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     Warfordsburg, Rehoboth and Little Cove [Franklin County] have been served together since their founding.  When the Central Pennsylvania Conference was formed in 1869, they were part of the large Hancock MD circuit – and so they remained in the Baltimore Conference.  Two other Pennsylvania churches on that circuit were Black Oak and Buck Valley.  In 1921 a Warfordsburg charge was formed, and in 1924 a parsonage was purchased in Warfordsburg.  In 1944 the Warfordsburg charge was dissolved and mostly taken into the Morgan WV circuit (with the Little Cove returning to the Hancock circuit).  In 1947 the Warfordsburg charge was reformed with 3 churches (Warfordsburg, Rehoboth and Little Cove) in PA and 1 church (Piney Plains) and the parsonage (Little Orleans) in MD.  When the conferences were redefined along state lines in 1962, Warfordsburg, Rehoboth and Little Cove came into the Central Pennsylvania Conference as a charge without a parsonage – and have remained so ever since.


12. Wells Valley United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Wells Valley

Address: 1568 Wells Valley Road
Municipality:
Wells township
County:
Fulton
State:
PA

Directions:
     Wells Valley Road goes south from PA 913 at New Granada, which is two miles west of PA 913’s eastern terminus at PA 655 in Waterfall.  The church is 4 miles south of New Granada, on the left side of the highway.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
  The land for this church was given in 1821, and the first building, a log structure, was erected on the west side of the road, by the cemetery.  It was replaced by a frame structure in 1889.  In 1979 the congregation moved the church building across the road in order to have room for expansion.