CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 

 

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


BLAIR COUNTY PA


1. Altoona Asbury United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_asbury.jpg

Address: Grandview Road at Asbury Lane
Municipality: Antis township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Grandview Road is the "back road" [west of the railroad tracks] from Altoona to Bellwood.  The church is at the Logan-Antis township line.  The nearest community is Homer Gap.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This is one of the oldest Methodist preaching appointments in Blair County and was established before the existence of Altoona or any other major villages in the area.  The church property was deeded to the Methodists bgy William Ake in 1840, and there has been regular Methodist preaching at the site ever since.  The original frame structure followed the custom of the day and had two doors, one for each gender, with a partition separating the men's and women's pews.  This seating arrangement was practiced until the erection of the present brick building in 1893.  The church property also includes the picnic pavilion and large open field across the road.


2. Altoona Broad Avenue United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: broad

Address: 850 29th Street
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Broad Avenue is the main north-south street in southwest Altoona.  The church building is on the northeast corner of Broad Avenue and 29th Street.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The Methodist work in this section of Altoona began in 1892 as a mission outreach of First Church and was known as the Epworth Mission.  The congregation met in various school houses and building until erecting a structure at the present site at taking the name Broad Avenue in 1911.  The original building was replaced by the present structure in 1928.  William Wallace Breckbill, pastor at Broad Avenue 1939-1945, was one of the 1946 founders of the Evangelical Methodist denomination.  Followers of Rev. Breckbill left Broad Avenue and established the nearby Evangelical Methodist Church at 2901 Oak Avenue.


3. Altoona Christ Community United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_fitfy-eighth_street.jpg

Address: 5715 Roselawn Avenue
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     The church is in the south end of Altoona, one block east of the main north-south street, which is 6th Avenue [PA 764].  The church building is on the northeast corner of 58th Street & Roselawn Avenue.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This congregation was historically known as Fifty-Eighth Street Methodist Church.  It grew out of a Sunday School for young boys in the Eldorado and Roselawn sections of Altoona.  The school met in a private home before moving to the Eldorado schoolhouse and holding classes for all ages and genders.  The members of this Union Sunday School conducted a religious preference survey in the area and found the most support for the Methodist Episcopal denomination.  Ground was broken for a church building on land purchased by the Altoona Evangelistic Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the original structure was completed in 1916.  In 1959 the educational building was added and the original sanctuary was completely re-oriented.  The name Christ Community was adopted in 2007 when Schum Memorial united with Fifty-Eighth Street.


4. Altoona East End United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_east_end.jpg

Address: 405 E. Hudson Avenue
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is in the northeast section of Altoona.  Hudson Avenue is three blocks east of Walton Avenue [PA 764], the main north-south street in northeast Altoona.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History:
     In the United Brethren denomination this congregation was known as Altoona Third.  It had its beginnings when two women from Altoona Second [now Second Avenue] canvassed the East End community in 1895 the interest of a Sunday School.  Sessions were held in a school house, the ministry prospered, and the present church building was completed in 1906.


5. Altoona Fairview United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_fairview.jpg

Address: 2214 5th Street
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     The Fairview section of Altoona is west of the main railroad tracks, behind the Altoona Hospital.  Seventh Street (westbound) and Eighth Street (eastbound) are the arteries that cross the main railroad tracks.  Once in the western section of Altoona, Fourth Street is an east-west through street that can be taken to 22nd Avenue.  The church building is on the northeast corner of 5th Street and 22nd Avenue.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     In 1888 Methodists living in the Fairview section of Altoona attended class meetings and a Union Sunday School in a nearby hall, but they had to travel downtown to attend worship services.  A building committee was formed, and a frame church was erected in 1890 on land donated by William Swartz.  The present structure replaced the original building in 1922.  Charles Chester Cole (1890-1984) and Judith [DeStefano] Coleman (1942-2005) are ministerial products of this congregation.


6. Altoona Greenwood United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_greenwood.jpg

Address: 1505 East Walton Avenue
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is at the northeast corner of the city limits.  At the north end of Altoona, Walton Avenue is PA 764, the main north-south routes through the city.  The church is at the intersection of PA 764 with business US 220.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History:
    
This is the successor to the frame Sandy Run Church erected by the United Brethren about 1860 on the other side of old US 220.  In 1897 the congregation erected a brick church at the present location that became known as the Greenwood Church.  The present building was dedicated September 12, 1926, and the educational unit was added in 1967.


7. Altoona Jaggard First United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_jaggard_memorial.jpg

Address: 1801 Pleasant Valley Boulevard
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Pleasant Valley Boulevard is the southbound lanes of business US 220, the main north-south highway skirting the city of Altoona on the east.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: This congregation owes its existence to the Altoona Evangelization Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Minutes of the Society indicate the following:
   October 17, 1921 the Society was investigating the advisability of locating a church in Pleasant Valley.  
   October 24, 1924 ― a committee was authorized to purchase lots in Pleasant Valley.
   May 25, 1925 ― action was taken to locate the new church building at 17th Street and Pleasant Valley Boulevard
   October 27, 1925 ― the church building was to be named the "Mrs. Annie Jaggard Memorial Chapel" for the mother of benefactor Mrs. C.E. Pugh.
The building was dedicated November 13, 1927, and the education unit was added in 1964.
            In 2011 this congregation received the remaining members of Altoona First and was re-named Jaggard First.


8. Altoona Juniata United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: juniata

Address: 808 N. Fourth Street, Altoona 16601
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     This church is in the Juniata section of Altoona west of the main railroad tracks, north of the Altoona Hospital.  Seventh Street (westbound) and Eighth Street (eastbound) are the arteries that cross the main railroad tracks.  Once in the western section of Altoona, proceed north on Chestnut Avenue.  The numbered cross streets decrease to 1st Street and then begin again with "North" in the Juniata section of Altoona ― and Chestnut Street becomes North 4th Avenue, the avenue numbers increasing toward the west.  In brief, the "North" in front of a street or avenue indicates the Juniata section of Altoona.  The church building is on the corner of North 4th Street and North 8th Avenue.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Both the Juniata section of Altoona and the Methodist work here have an involved history.  The area was variously known as Kipple (after the post office), Bellview (after the community) and Juniata until the latter name was formally adopted in 1893.  The congregation presently worships in its fifth sanctuary.  The first structure, a small frame building known as the Bellview Church, was erected at the corner of 5th Avenue and 7th Street in 1890.  In 1896 a new structure was erected on the rear portion of that same lot.  On January 18, 1903, the congregation marched from their old sanctuary at the rear of 5th Avenue and 7th Street to a new edifice erected at 5th Avenue and 7th Street.  On November 13, 1927, the congregation marched again ― this time from the old location at 6th Avenue and 6th Street to the then new structure (presently the Sunday School area) at 8th Avenue and 4th Street.  The present sanctuary, phase two of the long range building plans, was erected in 1961.
    
Historically, the congregation after 1893 was known as the First Methodist Church of Juniata.  When Juniata became part of the city of Altoona, the congregation became known as Gethsemane Methodist Church of Altoona.  In 2004 the three United Methodist congregations in the Juniata section (Gethsemane and Otterbein and Wesley) became a single congregation using the Gethsemane building and took the name Juniata United Methodist Church.


9. Altoona Lakemont United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_lakemont.jpg

Address: 340 Lotz Avenue
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     
Lakemont is the southeast section of Altoona, along Logan Boulevard [PA 36].  Lotz Avenue runs parallel to and one block east of PA 36.  Turn east on Focht Street (the second street south of US 220 and the Lakemont Park) and go one block to Lotz Avenue.  The church is to the left.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
By 1910 many Methodist families had moved into the growing Lakemont community and it appeared prudent to begin a congregation there.  First Sunday School and then preaching services (led by lay men, local pastors, and the pastor of Broad Avenue) were held in various locations.  A congregation of 32 members was formally organized February 11, 1912, and a new building was dedicated two years later on February 22, 1914.  Over the years Lakemont has been served as follows
1912-17    3-point charge with Broad Avenue and Llyswen
1917-23    2-point charge with Fifty-Eighth Street
1923-29    station appointment
1929-34    2-point charge with Jaggard Memorial
1934-42    3-point charge with Asbury and Juniata Wesley
1942-71    station appointment (including Frankstown 1966-79)
since 1971 2-point charge with Garden Heights

 


10. Altoona Llyswen United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: llyswen

Address: 308 Coleridge Avenue
Municipality: city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     The church is in the Llyswen section of Altoona.  Coleridge Avenue runs parallel to and one block west of Logan Boulevard.  From the major the intersection where Pleasant Valley Boulevard changes to Plank Road and PA 36 changes to Logan Boulevard, proceed 3 blocks into Altoona on Logan Boulevard, turn left onto Whittier Avenue, go one block to Coleridge Avenue, turn left.  The church is on the corner of Coleridge and Halleck Place (which does not intersect Logan Boulevard). 

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     Methodism in Llyswen dates from the winter of 1905-06, when Mrs. Lucy J. Olewine (widow of Central Pennsylvania Conference pastor John Wesley Olewine) suggested the possibility of holding services in the neighborhood.  She asked her pastor from Fifty-Eighth Street to preach occasionally in Llyswen, and the first services were held in the Olewine home with an attendance of about 9.  As the numbers grew, other buildings were secured for regular Sunday School and preaching services.  When a quick move from one meeting place was necessary, a small chapel was erected in 1907 in one week's time.  Various city pastors supplied Llyswen on Sunday afternoons until the appointment was formally added to the Broad Avenue charge in 1909.  A congregation was formed July 11, 1909, and in 1915 permission was granted to remove the small chapel and erect a more permanent building.  The present structure was dedicated February 20, 1916.


11. Altoona Mardorf United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: mardorf

Address: Juniata Gap Road
Municipality:
Logan township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Go 3 miles west of Altoona on Juniata Gap Road.  Juniata Gap Road exits Altoona from the Wehnwood section of the city and passes the Penn State Altoona Campus.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The original church was a white frame building adjacent to the road and about 200 yards west of the present structure.  It was erected as the Christian and Mission Alliance Church of Juniata Gap in 1898 and sold to become the Methodist Episcopal Church of Logan Township in 1900.  The work was originally supplied by city pastors and local preachers, and not as an official appointment of the conference.  The land on which the present structure stands was given by B.V. Plack, who asked that the church take the name Mardorf – the maiden name of his grandmother.  The present church was dedicated December 18, 1927, with major additions dedicated in 1971 and 1987.


12. Altoona Second Avenue United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\altoona_second_avenue.jpg

Address: 130 Second Avenue
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions: 
     Second Avenue runs north-south, a few blocks east of the main north-south [PA 764] routes through Altoona, which are 7th Avenue (south bound) and 6th Avenue (north bound).  The church is in the north end of town at the northwest corner of Second Avenue and 2nd Street.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History: 
    
Originally named Second United Brethren Church, this  is a daughter congregation of the former First United Brethren Church (which stood at 8th Avenue and 12th Street, was re-named Trinity United Methodist in 1968, and merged into Second Avenue in 1996).  The congregation continued the pattern when they later gave birth to Third United Brethren Church (now East End United Methodist).  Their first building was erected in 1888 on Fifth Avenue, between Second and Third Streets.  The present structure was dedicated September 4, 1927, as Second Avenue United Brethren Church.  In 1955, an impressive 6 feet 4 inches tall wood carving "The Kristus" was placed in niche behind the altar making it one of the first churches in the United Methodist tradition to have such a figure in the chancel.


13. Altoona Simpson United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: simpsm

Address: 2216 6th Avenue
Municipality:
city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Sixth Avenue forms the northbound lanes of the main north-south route [PA 764] through Altoona.  The church property extends on the west side of Sixth Avenue from 22nd Street to 23rd Street.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The year was 1872, and the only Methodist church in the area was over a mile away at Eighth Avenue and 13th Street.  Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church began one block west of its present location, in the Seventh Avenue home of Mrs. Susannah W. Chatams ― a gifted woman concerned about the children and unchurched adults in the neighborhood.  A Sunday School was organized in May of that year, and by October the crowds were so large that property was secured and a chapel erected at the corner of Seventh Avenue and 24th Street.  A brick sanctuary was erected at the northwest corner of Sixth Avenue and 23rd Street in 1888, and replaced by a larger building of Hummelstown brownstone in 1905.  A large Christian education building extending along Sixth Avenue was completed in 1957.  In 1982, after 11 years of cooperative ministry and dialogue, the congregations of Simpson United Methodist Church and the adjacent Temple Lutheran Church formally merged into a united parish.  The following year plans were begun to raze the deteriorating Simpson sanctuary, but to use the 1957 education building for the united congregation.  As part of that decision, an symbolic of the cooperation of the two congregations, the Simpson (installed 1914) and Temple (installed 1927) organs were combined into a single organ of 38 ranks, or 2,220 pipes.  The picture above shows the empty lot that once housed the Simpson building, the Simpson education building, and the rear of the Temple sanctuary in which the Simpson-Temple congregation new worships.


14. Altoona Wehnwood United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: wehnwood

Address: 2511 Juniata Gap Road
Municipality: city of Altoona
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     The church is in the Wehnwood section of Altoona.  Juniata Gap Road is the main road going west from the north end of Altoona.  It effectively divides the original old Altoona from the Juniata section of Altoona and proceeds past the Penn State Altoona Campus.  The church is on Juniata Gap Road at 25th Avenue.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History:
     This congregation is the result of investigations begun by the Allegheny Conference Church Extension Society in 1925.  Services were first held in the Logan township fire hall, then located along Juniata Gap Road, by the pastor of the Otterbein United Brethren Church in Juniata.  In 1927 a pastor was appointed to the Wehnwood and Garden Heights missions.  In 1928 a sectional chapel that had been used in Juniata was erected on lots secured on Juniata Gap Road between 25th and 26th Avenues.  The chapel was dedicated February 5, 1928, at which time a congregation of 104 charter members was organized.  The present church was erected on the site in 1963, and the sectional chapel was relocated to become an annex at Schum Memorial.


15. Bald Eagle United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: bald eagle

Address: Old Philipsburg Road
Municipality:
Snyder township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the intersection of PA 350 and Eagle Valley Road [old US 200], go one block north on Eagle Valley Road to Old Philipsburg Road.  Go west 100 yards on Old Philipsburg Road.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Methodists began regular meetings in the area in 1857.  In 1862, ground was secure for the construction of a church and the establishment of a cemetery.  The original structure was destroyed by fire on August 28, 1949, and services were held in the Grange Hall until the present facility was completed in 1953.  The Christian education addition was completed in 1962.  The bell tower was added in 1971, the bell coming from the former Methodist church building in Centre Hall.


16. Bellwood Calvary United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\bellwood_calvary.jpg

Address: 601 N. Fourth Street, Bellwood 16617
Municipality:
borough of Bellwood
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
   
Cross [on PA 865] the bridge over the railroad tracks to the west side of town and go 4 blocks.  The church is on the southeast corner of PA 865 [Tuckahoe Street] and Fourth Street.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History: 
     This congregation began in the Antis United Brethren building, erected in the present Antis Cemetery south of town in 1832.  The structure at the present site was erected 1891/92 and used some materials from the Antis Church.  Substantial improvements were made to the structure over the years.  In 1952, the Grace Evangelical congregation merged into Calvary, and the educational annex was dedicated in 1953.


17. Bellwood Trinity United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\bellwood_trinity.jpg

Address: 533 Main Street, Bellwood 16617
Municipality:
borough of Bellwood
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Enter Bellwood from the east on PA 865.  Main Street is the last street before crossing over the railroad tracks to the west side of town.  The church is 2 blocks south on Main Street, on the southeast corner of Tuckahoe and Main Streets.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This class was organized February 23, 1844, with eight charter members meeting at the Antis school house.  On January 2, 1869, a frame church was dedicated where the parsonage now stands.  The present stone structure was dedicated May 23, 1897. 


18. Canoe Creek United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\canoe_creek.jpg

Address: US Route 22, Canoe Creek
Municipality:
Frankstown township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Hollidaysburg, go 7 miles east on US 22.  The church is on the south side of the highway.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The 1889 journal, page 60, report that “At Canoe Creek, Duncansville circuit, a plain, comfortable church has been furnished at a cost of $800, and was dedicated free of debt.”  The 1898 conference statistics list it as an appointment on the McKee’s Gap charge.  In 1970 the congregation received the members of the former Canoe Creek EUB church, which is now a bat sanctuary.


19. Claysburg United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\claysburg.jpg

Address: Bedford Street, town of Claysburg
Municipality:
Greenfield township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions: 
    
The village of Claysburg is on the original US 220, which is called Bedford Street in the village.  The church is on the east side of the street, near the center of town, next to the Post Office.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Claysburg area Methodists originally worshiped at Sarah Furnace.  In 1879 the appointment was moved to the village of Claysburg, where the congregation worshiped in the Odd Fellows Hall until erecting the current building was erected in 1917.  The Claysburg, Queen and Weyant churches have been together on a charge since 1933.


20. Cove Forge United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\duncesnsville_hicks_memorial.jpg

Address: Covedale Road
Municipality:
Catherine township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The community of Cove Forge is 2 miles northeast of Williamsburg.  Leave central Williamsburg on East First Street., and turn left at the T with Locust Street.  Locust Street becomes Covedale Road.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     In 1868 the Cove Forge class began erecting a house of worship on land donated by John Royer at the mouth of Clover Creek.  The building was dedicated January 3, 1869.  Over the years the building has been flooded and remodeled as follows.
1889 – flooded
1924 – building raised and basement added
1936 – flooded, congregation worships in Clover Creek school house for six weeks
1954 – Sunday School room added
1963 – basement placed under Sunday School room
1972 – flooded, building raised 5’4” and a whole new basement put in
1976 – belfry and bell added


21. Duncansville Hicks Memorial United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\east_freedom.jpg

Address: 1201 Third Avenue
Municipality:
borough of Duncansville
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions: 
    
Third Avenue is US 22.  The church is on the south side of the highway, opposite of where 12th Street goes off to the north.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This society was organized in the 1850’s and erected their first building in 1868.  That structure is still standing just east of the present complex and is now a print shop.  The present building was dedicated November 26, 1916, and financed by Captain Slfred Hicks of Pittsburgh as a memorial to his parents, who had been charter members of the society.  The matching adjacent [former][ parsonage was dedicated in 1919.  In 1986 a new parsonage was purchased and the house beside the church remodeled into office and classroom space


22. East Freedom United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Desktop\stull.jpg

Address: Everett Road, town of East Freedom
Municipality:
Freedom township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Everett Road is the original US 220.  Freedom Street is the east-west road that is PA 164 leaving town heading to the west and is the road through the gap to McKee heading to the east.  The church is on the southeast corner of Everett Road and Freedom Street.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History:
     The original house of worship at this site was erected by the Methodists in 1845.  When the Methodists erected a building in McKee in 1879, this appointment and congregation transferred to that location, and the building was sold to the United Brethren. 


23. Grazierville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\img5.jpg 

Address: Grazierville Road, town of Grazierville
Municipality: Snyder township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Grazierville is on Pleasant Valley Boulevard [old US 220], 1 mile south of Tyrone.  Leave Tyrone on Washington Avenue [which becomes Pleasant Valley Boulevard] and go 1 mile to Grazierville Road.  Go west 1 one block.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     When the conference began reporting detailed charge statistics in the 1890’s Grazierville was on the Birmingham charge with Birmingham, Ironsville and Spruce Creek.


24. Hollidaysburg First United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\hollidaysburg_first.jpg

Address: 801 Allegheny Street
Municipality:
borough of Hollidaysburg
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the intersection of US 22 and PA 36, go 3 blocks north on PA 36 to Allegheny Street.  Go 2 blocks east on Allegheny Street.  The church is on the left, on the northeast corner of Allegheny and Jones Streets.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first Methodist sermon is reported to have been preached in Hollidaysburg in 1785.  The first church building was erected in 1833 on Walnut Street, near Front.  In 1851 a second building, which later became the Armory, was erected “nearly on the site of the first structure.”  The building at 402 Allegheny Street, on the southeast corner of Allegheny and Wayne Streets, was erected in 1883 and used until the present building was occupied in 1981 – at which time the Frankstown congregation united with Hollidaysburg.  A 1997 addition that doubled the educational space produced the present complex.


25. McKee United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\mckee.jpg

Address: Back Street, village of McKee
Municipality:
Freedom township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Roaring Spring, go 2 miles north on PA 36 to Freedom Street [just north of the railroad tracks].  Turn west onto Freedom Street, and then immediately bear right onto Irvin Street.  Go 2 blocks to Back Street.  Turn left onto Back Street and go one block.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This building was erected in 1879.  The schoolhouse next door was purchased in 1933 and is used for educational and social purposes.  The church has been part of the following charges:
1879-1894       Duncansville
1894-1919       Frankstown
1919-1973       Claysburg
1973-2007       Roaring Spring
2007-               East Freedom


26. Mines United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: mines

Address: Mines Road, village of Oreminea
Municipality:
Huston township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Williamsburg. Go 8 miles south on PA 866 to the village of Clappertown.  Turn east onto Mines Road and go 2 miles.  The church is on the right, 200 yards before the intersection with Royer Road.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first Methodist Episcopal church building at Mines was built and dedicated in 1882.  In 1930, a kerosene lamp ignited a fire that destroyed both the building and its contents.  The present structure was erected on the same site in 1931.


27. Mount Moriah United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\mount_moriah.jpg

Address: PA 164, west of Blue Knob
Municipality: Juniata township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:                              
     From East Freedom PA on old US 220, go 9 miles west on PA 164.  The church is on the right, 1 mile past the crossroads at Blue Knob.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History:
    The first church building at this site was erected in 1885 and destroyed by lightning in 1951.  A larger structure was erected at the same location and dedicated in 1955 with a membership of over 100, but it too was destroyed by fire in 1973 – one of several fires set simultaneously in the Blue Knob area by an arsonist.  The present modern structure was dedicated June 2, 1974.


28. Pinecroft United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\pinecroft.jpg

Address: Forshey Street, village of Pinecroft
Municipality:
Antis township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Bellwood, go south on Main Street 3 miles to the village of Pinecroft.  Forshey Street is a minor street, the first street to the right, 200 yards past Lower Riggles Gap Road, a major road to the right.  Turn right onto Forshey Street and go 100 yards.  The church is on the left, not visible until you are in front of it.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Evangelical Church

Brief History:
     The work in Pinecroft began when the 1896 annual session of the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the United Evangelical Church passed a resolution “that Altoona and adjacent territory be taken up as a mission to be supplied as soon as practicable.”  In 1897 a preacher was appointed to reside at Bellwood, where there were 12 Evangelical members committed to forming a congregation, and to preach at Altoona, Bellwood and Pinecroft.


29. Roaring Spring Trinity United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\roaring_spring_trinity.jpg

Address: 430 E. Main Street
Municipality:
borough of Roaring Spring
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     East Main Street intersects PA 36 east of Roaring Spring at the intersection where PA 164 goes east to Martinsburg.  At the intersection of PA 164 and PA 36, go west on East Main Street into Roaring Spring for ½ mile to Spang Street.  The church is straight ahead at the corner of Spang and East Main Streets.  Note: at this point East Main Street becomes one way going west and West Main Street is a separate street one block south that is one way heading west.  At the west end of Town, East Main Street and West Main Street rejoin to become the two-way West Main Street.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Methodism in Roaring Spring dates from 1802.  The class met in homes until erecting a building, the town’s first house of worship, in 1867.  This project was directed by Rev. John A.J. Williams (1833-1909), a Methodist minister by calling and a carpenter by trade.  This building is on the south side of West Main Street, on the hill by the bend in the street, and now serves as the Mennonite meeting house.
     The present sanctuary was dedicated in 1898, and the education unit was added in 1961.


30. Royer United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\royer.jpg

Address: Royer Road, village of Royer
Municipality:
Woodbury township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
 From Williamsburg, go 6 miles south on PA 866 to Royer Road.  Turn east onto Royer Road and go 100 yards.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
   
This community, and the church, was once known as Springfield Furnace.  The congregation is the outgrowth of a Sunday School held in a small house beginning in 1825.  In 1836 the Sunday School moved to a school house that stood on the triangular piece of ground opposite the present church building.  The congregation erected its own place of worship in 1872.  In 1978 a fire destroyed the interior of the building, and the necessary repairs resulted in a more modern sanctuary.  In the late 1980’s, a new basement was dug under the church and a kitchen area, rest rooms and social hall were built.


31. Tipton United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\tipton.jpg

Address: Tipton Road, village of Tipton
Municipality:
Antis township
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Tyrone, go 3 miles south on the old US 220 to Titpon Road, just north of Delgrosso’s Amusement Park.  Turn west and go 1 mile.  The church is on the right, at the corner of Tipton Road and Spruce Street, which is the 2nd street on the righter after crossing the railroad tracks.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This congregation has always been served in connection with the appointment at Bellwood.  The building was erected in 1880.


32. Tyrone Christ United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\tyrone_christ.jpg

Address: 1359 Pennsylvania Avenue
Municipality:
borough of Tyrone
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Pennsylvania Avenue is the old US 220, the main north-south route through Tyrone.  The church is in the northern end of town on the southwest corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and & 14th Street.

Historic Conference:
     Allegheny Conference of the United Brethren Church

Brief History:
    
The congregation’s first building was a two-story frame structure erected on Railroad Street, later named Spring Street, in 1855.  Today the site is the southeast corner of Washington Avenue and Twelfth Street [across from the original Methodist Episcopal Church, which stood on the southwest corner].  The sanctuary at the present site was erected in 1914 and has undergone significant improvements and enlarging over the years, including the addition of the educational unit in 1931.  It is reported that the congregation erected and occupied for a few years a two-story brick building on Pennsylvania Avenue prior to the building of the 1914 structure, but no formal documentation of this is known to have survived.


33. Tyrone Good Shepherd United Methodist Church 

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\tyrone_good_sheperd.jpg

Address: 1650 Clay Avenue
Municipality:
borough of Tyrone
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Clay Avenue is a north-south street in the northwest part of Tyrone.  From the old US 220, go west on PA 453.  PA 453 leaves Pennsylvania Avenue (old US 220 in the north end of Tyrone on 14th Street, and then makes a jog to the north and becomes 15th Street.  Clay Street crosses 15th Street 5 blocks west of the jog in PA 453.  Turn north on Clay Street and go 3 blocks.  The church is straight ahead.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This congregation began as an outreach of First (now Wesley Church) into the community then known as East Tyrone.  A small chapel was erected in 1871 on the hill along what is now 21st Street.  This church was known as the East Tyrone or the Tyrone Second Methodist Episcopal Church. 
     In 1891 the congregation relocated to Columbia Avenue and 18th Street and became known as the Columbia Avenue ME Church.  In 1917 the building was considerably remodeled and enlarged.  Another major remodeling occurred in 1939.
     In 1972 the congregation relocated to its present location on Clay Avenue and adopted the name Church of the Good Shepherd, commonly referred to as Good Shepherd UMC.


34. Tyrone Wesley United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\tyrone_wesley.jpg

Address: 1200 Logan Avenue
Municipality:
borough of Tyrone
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Logan Avenue is a north-south street in the northern end of Tyrone, one block west of Pennsylvania Avenue, the old US 220.  The church is on the northeast corner of Logan Avenue and 12th Street.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first Methodist sermon and class meeting in Tyrone was held in 1852.  The first Methodist church building was erected in 1852 at the corner of Railroad and Allegheny Streets, now the southwest corner of Washington Avenue and Twelfth Street [across from the original United Brethren Church, which stood on the southeast corner].
     The congregation relocated to its present location at Logan Avenue and Twelfth Street in 1885.  The educational unit was added in 1927.  In 1958 the 1885 sanctuary was condemned and razed, replaced by the present sanctuary and improvements to the educational unit in 1964.


35. Williamsburg First United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\blair\williamsburg_first.jpg

Address: 431 W. Second Street
Municipality:
borough of Williamsburg
County:
Blair County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Hollidaysburg, go 9 miles east on US 22, one mile past Canoe Creek, to PA 866.  Turn south on PA 866 and go 4 miles to Williamsburg.  PA 866 enters Williamsburg on First Street.  Second Street is one block south.  Turn South onto Plum Street (on block before PA 866 turns to the right onto High Street) and go one block.  The church is on the corner of Second and Plum Streets.

Historic Conference:
     Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first Methodist circuit rider is supposed to have preached in Williamsburg as early as 1792.  The first land specifically deeded to the Methodists, in 1812, was on the west side of High Street opposite the spring.  Tradition says a brick church was erected that was also available to other denominations.
     In 1831 the Methodists erected a church on West Second Street, which served the congregation until the present property was purchased in 1852.  The educational unit was added in 1951.  At this time the old sanctuary was razed and the congregation worshiped in the educational unit until the present sanctuary was completed in 1952.