CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

 

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


BEDFORD COUNTY PA


1. Bedford United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\bedford_first.jpg

Address: 132 E. John Street, Bedford 15522
Municipality:
Bedford borough
County:
Bedford
State:
PA

Directions: John Street is parallel to and 4 blocks south of Pitt Street, the old US 30.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: Methodism was likely introduced to Bedford about 1784 by local preacher Thomas Lakin.  The first official circuit to include Bedford was likely the Huntingdon circuit formed in 1788.  Circuit rider Robert Ayres, who helped organize the Huntingdon circuit, preached in Bedford on June 13, 1788 ― at Thomas Norton's house to between twenty and thirty people.  Later preaching services were typically held at the courthouse, while the class meetings were held in private homes.  The Bedford circuit was formed in 1809 and split in two in 1842.  In 1851 the Bedford charge was formed, and for the first time congregation could enjoy the services of a stationed pastor who was not away riding a circuit for days at time.
    All the Methodist Church buildings in Bedford have been located on the present site, acquired by the society in 1818.  A small one-story brick structure was completed in 1826 and added to in 1839.  The Wesley Hall was erected in 1871 as the first stage of the present complex.  The sanctuary was erected in 1873, the two-story unit at the rear of the church was added in 1935, and the education building to the east was completed in 1963.


2. Bedford Forge United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\bedford_forge.jpg

Address: 389 Jacks Corner Road, Hopewell 16650
Municipality: Hopewell township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: From Everett, 9 miles north on PA 26 to Jacks Corner Road (1/2 mile past intersection with PA 36 at Cottles Corners), left on Jacks Corner Road for 1 mile.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: This appointment has also been known as Yellow Creek.  Methodist meetings were held in area homes beginning in the late 1700's.  A small wooden church was erected in 1851 and replaced by a larger brick building in 1900.  The educational wing of four classrooms was added in the 1950's.


3. Bethel United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\bethel.jpg

Address: US 220
Municipality:
Cumberland Valley township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: On US 220, 6 miles south of Centerville ― almost to the Maryland line.

Historic Conference: Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: For many years Bethel was part of an 8-point charge in the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church ― with 6 churches and the parsonage in Maryland, and 2 churches (Bethel and Centerville Union) in Pennsylvania.  By the time of the 1939 union of the Methodism Episcopal (ME) and Methodist Protestant (MP) denominations to form the Methodist Church, the ME Centerville Union congregation had already ceased to exist ― having been dominated by the stronger MP church in that community.  In 1945 the Baltimore Conference adjusted its overlapping former ME and MP circuits in the area and placed Bethel on a charge with 3 former MP churches.  In 1962 the conference boundaries were fixed to match the state lines and that charge came into the Central Pennsylvania Conference.  By the time of the 1968 union to form the United Methodist Church, only Bethel (former ME) and Centerville (former MP) were still active congregations.  They remain together today as the Bedford Valley charge.
    The Bethel church building was dedicated in 1867.  Prior to that time services were held in a log structure near the present site.


4. Breezewood United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\breezeword.jpg

Address: 184 N. Main Street, Breezewood 15533
Municipality: East Providence township
County: Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: N. Main Street runs south off of US 30 two blocks west of the intersection of US-30 with I-70.  The church is beside the post office.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: Breezewood was formerly known as Rays Hill.  The first building of the congregation was a union log structure, erected in 1826 and used jointly by the Methodists and Lutherans, which stood near the old Methodist cemetery on the other side of I-70.  The Methodists erected their own building within the village at the present site in 1856.  For many years the Rays Hill charge was a strong one that produced many pastors and included 6 rural church buildings ― only two of which, Breezewood and Wesley Chapel, remain active United Methodist congregations today.


5. Centerville United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\centerville.jpg

Address: 1052 Centerville Road, Bedford 15522
Municipality:
Cumberland Valley township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: In the village of Centerville, off US 220 16 miles south of US 30.  Centerville Road is the old US 220.

Historic Conference: Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church

Brief History: For many years Centerville was part of a 6-point charge in the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church ― with 4 churches (Centerville, Cove, Fellowship and Mineral Springs) and the parsonage in Pennsylvania, and 2 churches in Maryland.  By the time of the 1939 union of the Methodism Episcopal (ME) and Methodist Protestant (MP) denominations to form the Methodist Church, the MP Fellowship congregation had already ceased to exist ― the property having been taken in 1931 for the damming of Evitts creek. In 1945 the Baltimore Conference adjusted its overlapping former ME and MP circuits in the area and placed Centerville and Cove and Mineral Springs on a 4-point charge with nearby former ME church Bethel.  In 1962 the conference boundaries were fixed to match the state lines and that charge came into the Central Pennsylvania Conference.  By the time of the 1968 union to form the United Methodist Church, only Bethel (former ME) and Centerville (former MP) were still active congregations.  They remain together today as the Bedford Valley charge.


6. Clearville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: clearville

Address: 155 Rockhill Road, Clearville 15535
Municipality:
Monroe township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Just off PA 26 at the southeast end of the village of Clearville.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The Clearville congregation was organized in 1867 and worshiped in the old log union church until erecting their own building in 1872.  Clearville was separated from the Rays Hill charge in 1880 to form a southern Bedford County rural charge (known as the Robinsonville charge 1880-86, and as the Clearville charge thereafter) that lasted for over 100 years.  The 5 original churches on the charge were Clearville, Pleasant Union, Shreves, Stevens Chapel and Robinsonville; other churches long associated with the charge were Chaneysville and Tatesville.   Only Clearville, Stevens Chapel and Tatesville remain as United Methodist congregations; they are presently served as an extended ministry of Everett.


7. Everett United Methodist Church 

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: everette

Address: 221 E. Main Street, Everett 15537
Municipality:
Everett borough
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Main Street is the old US 30.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:  The town and the Methodist appointment now known as Everett used to be known as Bloody Run.  The Methodist class at Bloody Run was organized in 1809 as one of the original appointments on the Bedford circuit.  Francis Asbury is known to have preached here.  The first church structure in the town, a stone building, was erected by the Methodists about 1811 at what is now the southwest corner of East First and Hopewell Streets..  A second Methodist church, a frame building, was built on or near the site of the original building in 1839.  The present building on East Main Street was dedicated December 18, 1860, and became known as the Barndollar Church.  In 1885 a school building at the northern end of town was purchased and converted into another church, which became known as the Tecumseh Church.  In 1967 the Barndollar and Tecumseh congregations united to form the Everett Methodist Church.  The Tecumseh property on North Spring Street was sold to the Department of Urban Housing and is now the site of a new apartment complex.  In 1968, the united congregation added an educational unit to the former Barndollar building.


8. Hopewell United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: hopewell

Address: 672 Christian Street, Hopewell 16650
Municipality:
Hopewell borough
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Follow PA 915 one mile from PA 26 to the east end of town, the church is visible on a hill 2 blocks to the left.  Turn left on Cedar Street, go one block to New Street.  Christian Street is one of several streets that come together at that intersection.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The first Methodist preaching in Hopewell was in 1830.  A class was organized in 1833, and the first church building was erected in 1863.  The present building was erected at the same location 1902.  Hopewell was one of the original appointments on the Saxton circuit that was created in 1863 to cover the Raytown Branch of the Juniata in southern Huntingdon and northern Bedford counties.  The denomination and the economic strength of the region peaked about 1915, when the original Saxton circuit boasted 15 Methodist church buildings and 4 parsonages.  The Hopewell charge at that time was a 4-point charge consisting of Eichelbergertown, Hopewell, Kearney and Langdondale.  The only remaining congregation from that 1915 charge, Hopewell is presently on a 3-point charge with Coalmont Saxton.


9. Loysburg United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: loysburg

Address: 5768 Churchview Road, Loysburg 16659
Municipality:
South Woodbury township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Go 3 miles north on PA 36 from its southern terminus on PA 26, turn left on Churchview Road into the village of Loysburg. The church is in the center of the village of Loysburg.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The first Methodist services in Loysburg were held in 1850 in the old Loy school house by members of the Martinsburg class.  A class was organized in 1852, and a church building was erected in 1853.  By 1898 there was a need for larger structure, and W.H. Aaron donated the lot for such a purpose.  The present building was dedicated on that lot in 1900.  The Loysburg congregation has given three of her sons to the Methodist ministry: Elmer E. Noble (1862-1904) of the Ohio North Conference , and brothers Charles Wesley Karns (1858-1951) and William Emerson Karns (1868-1936).


10. Queen United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: queen

Address: Church & Main Streets, Queen 16670
Municipality:
Kimmel township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: From the village of Sproul on old US 220 in southernmost Blair County, west one block on Sheetz way to Quarry Road, left 2 miles on Quarry Road (becomes Imler Valley Road) to Beaverdam Road, right on Beaverdam Road 1.5 miles to the village of Queen.  The church is in the center of the village.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The village of Queen used to be known as Lewistown.  The Methodist congregation there was organized in 1872 and erected the present church building in 1873.  In 1932, Queen was moved from the Alum Bank charge (Alum Bank. Horn, Queen Weyant) to the Claysburg charge (Claysburg, McKee, Sproul).  The following year Weyant made the same move, and the remaining two churches on the Alum Bank charge were added to Wolfsburg.  Today's long-standing 3-point Claysburg charge consists of  Claysburg, Queen and Weyant.


11. Saxton United Methodist Church

 Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\saxton.jpg

Address: 903 Church Street, Saxton 16678
Municipality:
Saxton borough
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Church Street is parallel to and 2 blocks north of Main Street (PA 915).  Turn north off Main Street at 9th Street and go two blocks.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The Methodist work in Saxton developed out of a union Sunday School in the 1856 Lutheran building in Stonerstown (the community at the western edge of Saxton).  In 1858 the Methodists acquired that structure at a sheriff's sale and worshiped there until constructing their present building in 1881.  The congregation grew to the point that Saxton was taken off the circuit to which it had been attached and made a separate station appointment with its own pastor in 1896.  Saxton remain a station appointment until 1951, when Coalmont was added to the charge.  That 2-point arrangement remained unchanged until 2005, when Hopewell was added to the charge.  This 3-point Saxton charge is now known as the New Hope Parish.


12. Six Mile Run United Methodist Church

 Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\six_mile_run.jpg

Address: 863 Six Mile Run Road, Defiance 16633
Municipality:
Broad Top township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions:  Six Mile Run Road is the main road east from PA 26 at Riddlesburg toward Coaldale, 4 miles distant.  The church is in the village of Defiance ― 2 miles east of PA 26, half-way between Riddlesburg and Coaldale.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The Six Mile Run United Methodist Church came into being on July 1, 1969, when the Methodist congregations at Riddlesburg, Defiance and Coaldale united to form a single congregation.  In anticipation of such an event, land for for new building had been purchased in Defiance in 1963, but the united congregation continued to meet in the Coaldale building on Main Street.   The congregation's dream came true in 1981 when the  new building was completed as the 1980 Church Builders Club project. 
    All three of the former buildings were situated in Broad Top township.  The first church edifice of any denomination in the township was a log building erected by the Methodists about a mile northeast of Coaldale in 1805.  As communities formed along Six Mile Run, that old log building was abandoned as Methodist churches were erected in Riddlesburg in 1873 (followed by a newer building in 1926), Coaldale in 1888, and Defiance in 1905.  Each of the former buildings was eventually razed after the congregations united, but the site in Coaldale is marked by a monument and a small park.

 


13. Stevens Chapel United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\bedford_files\Stevens Chapel.jpg

Address: 5084 Robinsonville Road, Clearville 15535
Municipality:
Monroe township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: From the village of Mattie in East Providence township, 1 mile west on West Mattie Road, 2 miles south on Robinsonville Road.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: Stevens Chapel was founded by and named for Rev. William Henry Stevens (1831-1901), preacher on the Bedford circuit of the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  While the 1877 county atlas and the 1884 county history identify this as a Methodist Protestant congregation, there is no other corroborating evidence to such affiliation and it appears the church was always Methodist Episcopal.  Land for construction of the original building was given by Jeremiah and Rachel Akers.  Prior to celebration of their 100th anniversary in 1957, the congregation placed a basement under the building and installed a heating system.  Stevens Chapel has always been served by the pastor ministering at Clearville, an arrangement remaining to this day as both congregations are extended ministries of Everett.


14. Tatesville United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\tatesville.jpg

Address: 151 Methodist Church Road, Everett 15537
Municipality:
Hopewell township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Turn east off PA 26 onto Plank Road to the village of Tatesville.  Plank road is the first road north of Everett after business PA 26 and the PA 26 by-pass come back together.  Go 0.5 miles on Plank Road and turn right at the church sign onto Methodist Church Road, the fourth road to the right.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: Tatesville was once known as John's Branch.  The church was erected on land given in 1861 by Joseph W. Tate. 


15. Trans Run United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\trans_run.jpg

Address: PA 326, Bedford 15522
Municipality:
Colerain township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: southwest of Bedford on PA 326 ― north of the village of Charlesville

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: Sometimes listed in records as the Charlesville Methodist Episcopal Church, the congregation erected the present building about 1854.


16. Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\bedford_files\Wesley.jpg

Address: 1299 E. Mattie Road, Breezewood 15533
Municipality:
East Providence township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: southeast of Everett.  East Mattie Road is the road from Mattie to Jackson Mills.  The chapel is about 2/3 of the way from Mattie to Jackson Mills.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The land on which Wesley Chapel was constructed was deeded by Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Mellott on November 25, 1884.  The vestibule on the front of the church was added in 1971.  Only Wesley Chapel and Breezewood remain as United Methodist congregations from the rural Rays Hill Methodist Episcopal charge that once included six church builldings.


17. Weyant United Methodist Church

Description: Description: F:\loyer\pictures x county\bedford\Weyant UMC\Exterior1.jpg                   

Address: Mowry Mills Road & Heritage Street, Osterburg 16667
Municipality:
King township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: Osterburg is 11 miles north of Bedford on old US 220.  The village of Weyant is 5 miles northwest of Osterburg on PA 869.  The church is just north of PA 869 on Mowry's Mill Road. 

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The Weyant congregation was organized in 1852 and is referred to in the old records as the Mowry's Mills appointment.  The current building, constructed on a hill northeast of the town, is the congregation's third.  The original structure, known as the Mock Church, burned down and was replaced by another building, located in the town of Mowry's Mills [Weyant], in 1886.


18. Wolfsburg United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\bedford\wolfsburg.jpg

Address: Wolfsburg Road, Bedford 15522
Municipality:
Bedford township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: The town of Wolfsburg is west of Bedford on the old US 30.  Wolfsburg Road is the old US 30.  Follow US 30 2 miles west of the intersection with US 220 and turn left on to Wolfsburg Road.  Go 0.5 miles.  The church is on the left, in the town of Wolfsburg.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The town of Wolfsburg is named for Methodist minister Rev. David Wolf (1821-1875) of the Central Pennsylvania Conference, a Bedford County native who owned the land in the immediate vicinity when the Bedford & Bridgeport railroad was built and the town developed.  The present building was dedicated June 26, 1881.  Prior to that the congregation met in the school house.  The parsonage was completed in 1883, and Wolfsburg was for many years the base of a five-point charge: Burning Bush, Mt. Smith, Rainsburg, Trans Run and Wolfsburg.  Only Trans Run and Wolfsburg remain as United Methodist congregations, and they form the present two-point Wolfsburg charge.


19. Woodbury Faith United Methodist Church

Address: 133 Main Street, Woodbury  16695
Municipality:
Woodbury township
County:
Bedford County
State:
PA

Directions: The town of Woodbury is on PA 26, 9 miles south of Roaring Spring.  Main Street is PA 26.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The first Methodist church edifice here was erected in 1844.  The sanctuary of the present complex was completed in 1883 and extensively remodeled 1889-1899.  In 1962, the building was raised and excavations made for a basement containing Sunday School rooms and a kitchen.  For over 100 years the congregation was part of a four-point charge that included Bedford Forge, Loysburg and Martinsburg.  The Woodbury congregation took the name Faith in 1991 when they received the members of the Martinsburg congregation.  The education/fellowship wing was added in 1997.