598 Wyoming Conference
Ariel was formerly known as, and is now sometimes called,
No. 19, the number of a plane on the old Pennsylvania Coal Com-
pany's gravity railroad. In 1852, Rev. G. W. Leach, then sta-
tioned at Salem, opened a monthly appointment on the Easton
and Belmont turnpike, less than a mile from Ariel. The next
year Rev. C. V. Arnold, on coming to the appointment, found the
old turnpike schoolhouse cold and damp. He was invited to
preach on his next appointment there at the home of Dwight
Mills, at Ariel, which he did to a crowded house. There came a
few days of slack time on the railroad. All the people, including
some Catholics, were soon at work constructing a preaching
place. The railroad company gave the lumber, some gave money,
and some gave work. When the preacher came to fill his next
appointment he had a new building in which to preach. This
building was finished shortly by the township and used for both
school and religious purposes. In this building, which was torn
down in 1896, were held the best services and the greatest
revivals known to the charge.
In 1872 this class was placed on the Canaan Circuit. A beau-
tiful union church was built, largely through the influence of
Judge Giles Greene. It was dedicated in the fall of 1890.
The lake at this place having become a popular summer resort,
and many of the cottagers desiring a settled pastor and more
frequent preaching, Cyrus D. Jones, of Scranton, promised to pay
half the salary of a preacher if this might be accomplished. Ac-
cordingly, in 1896 Ariel appears among the list of appointments.
In the fall of 1900 the Methodists began an agitation for a
church of their own, and on October 29 the society met and
elected W. H. Hazlett, J. W. Andrews, Jonathan Brown, George
A. Evarts, Silas C. Bortree, George W. Tisdel, and H. B. NeflF
trustees. Shortly after this plans for a new church were
The union church burned on Sunday, February 24, 1901, the
fire originating, it is supposed, from the furnace. The Sunday
school had been closed but a few minutes when the fire was dis-
Ariel, Pa. 599
covered. Services were held that evening in the school building,
the pastor preaching from Isa. lxiv, 11, "Our holy and our beau-
tiful house, where our fathers praised thee, is burned up with
fire: and all our pleasant things are laid waste." The Methodists
continued to worship in the school building until their church
was ready for use.
On June 1, 1901, the Lake Ariel Improvement Company deeded
the society a lot on Maple Avenue 90x150 feet, the society paying
ARIEL CHURCH [photo]
$600 therefor. In the fall of the same year a strip 10x150 feet
joining the first purchase was bought for $100, making a lot
100x150 feet, large enough to hold the church and parsonage.
The society was incorporated on July 8, 1901, with the following
as trustees: John W. Andrews, W. H. Hazlett, Jonathan Brown,
S. C. Bortree, and George A. Evarts. The building committee
for the new church was W. H. Hazlett, J. W. Andrews, and the
pastor. On June 15, 1901, ground was broken, and the corner
stone laid on July 11, by Rev. J. F. Warner. Revs. E. A.
Quinby, E. D. Cavanaugh, J. A. Transue, and the pastor made
The church is a brick veneer, finished in oak, has a seating
capacity of 180, and cost $4,200. Mrs. W. H. Hazlett gave
$1,000 toward the enterprise. The church was dedicated on
Thursday, November 21, 1901. Rev. D. S. McKellar preached
at 2:30 p. M., from Luke vii, 5. The sum of $2,700 was needed
600 Wyoming Conference
to pay all obligations; $2,100 was raised in forty minutes. The
church was dedicated by Rev. J. F. Warner, leaving an indebted-
ness of $600. The ladies served a supper in the basement, and
in the evening addresses were made by Revs. J. A. Transue, D. S.
McKellar, and the pastor. The generous assistance of Mr. and
Mrs. W. H. Hazlett and Mr. Cyrus D. Jones, of Scranton, made
this church a possibility.
The parsonage is the gift of Mr. Jones, the society building the
foundation. It is valued at about $3,300, and was built in 1902.
For some years before Ariel was taken from South Canaan
Circuit services were held at the Pink schoolhouse, two and one
half miles northeast of Ariel. It was formerly called 17, and
was a part of Cherry Ridge charge prior to being put with Ariel.
A Sunday school is maintained, and preaching services are held
1896-98, L. E. Sanford; 1899-1900, L. E. Van Hoesen; 1901-
03, G. A. Bell.
This charge was called Paupack many years. When the Con-
ference was organized in 1852 it was a part of Cherry Ridge
charge, and remained there until Paupack charge was formed in
1860. It, however, was a part of Salem Circuit prior to 1852.
Hemlock Hollow, or Purdytown, is the central or leading point
on the charge. The church here was built by the Baptists in
1845, and purchased by the Methodists a few years later.
The court granted a charter to "The Methodist Episcopal
Church of Purdyville" on December 16, 1853, constituting Eli
Utt, Peter Fish, George Williams, Uriah Williams, Henry H.
Barttison trustees. This incorporation indicates about the time
the church was purchased.
The lot for the parsonage was bought of R. R. Purdy and wife
for $400, and the parsonage built in 1875, at a cost of $800.
Arlington, sometimes called Rollison's, is about five miles west
of Hemlock Hollow. Services here were first held in William
Dayton's house prior to going into the schoolhouse. The first
schoolhouse used for worship was built of logs, situated near the
lane that comes to the road from Arthur Rollison's house. The
second schoolhouse used by the society was a few rods east of
the church. Nathan Rollison was the first class leader.
The lot for the church was donated by James Osborne. The
Arlington, Pa. 601
corner stone was laid on Saturday, June 20, 1885, at 2:30 p. M.,
by Rev. W. M. Hiller. The church, which is called the Centenary
church, is 24x40, with a lecture room 14x24, and a tower 40 feet
high. The building cost $1,800, and was dedicated on Thursday,
December 17, 1885. Rev. J. O. Woodruff preached at 10:30
A. M., and Rev. W. L. Thorpe at 7:30 p. m. Rev. W. M. Hiller
conducted the dedicatory services. The Church Extension
Society gave this society $250 toward the project.
Paupack is a schoolhouse appointment four miles south of
Hemlock Hollow, and has been sustained many years. Rev.
Gideon Draper preached at Squire Chapman's house in this place
in 1807. It became a regular preaching place on the Canaan
Circuit. Quite a revival occurred under the labors of Mr. Draper.
Ledgedale is a schoolhouse appointment situated four miles
southwest of Hemlock Hollow. Services have been maintained
here a long time.
The first year of the circuit's history it paid the preacher $135,
to which the Missionary Society added $25.
In 1862 the circuit was supplied by the Sterling and Cherry
In 1864 the pastor. Rev. W. H. Gavitt, was drafted for service
in the army, and Rev. E. Killam finished out the year for him.
In June of 1868 Rev. R. E. Hall's health failed, and Rev. M. D.
Fuller was sent to fill out the year.
Revivals from year to year have gradually strengthened the
1860, Gabriel Westfall; 1861, H. Stanley; 1862, _____; 1863-
64, W. H. Gavitt; 1865-66, Gabriel Westfall; 1867-68, R. E.
Hall; 1869, M. D. Fuller; 1870-71, G. T. Price; 1872, C. W.
Blake; 1873, G. W. Robinson; 1874-75, S. Jay; 1876-77, J.
Durham; 1878-79, A. B. Eckerts; 1880-82, D. A. Sanford; 1883-
85, C. L. Rice; 1886-88, J. A. Transue; 1889, A. Schofield; 1890,
J. W. Harrison; 1891, John Davy; 1892, J. H. Perry; 1893-97,
J. G. Raymond; 1898, H. J. Heineman; 1899, W. Rawlings; 1900-
02, W. B. Signor; 1903, Walter Walker.
Beach Lake, Pa.
The society at Beach Pond was organized in 1840, James
Smith, Moses Tyler, George Bush, George Spettigue, Frances
Stephens, William Olver, Edward Haines, and Richard Male
602 Wyoming Conference
being constituent members. At this time what work was done
here was under the supervision of Revs. J. O. Boswell and E.
Owen, pastors of the Bethany and Honesdale charge. A local
preacher by the name of Curtis A. Stoddard, living at Bethany,
used frequently to walk to Beach Pond to preach, and that with-
out fee. In 1841 Rev. Perry G. White, pastor at Honesdale, had
supervision of this territory, and in 1842 the appointment is called
Honesdale and Beach Pond, with Perry G. White pastor. In 1843
Beach Pond Circuit appears among the appointments. It in-
BEACH LAKE CHURCH [photo]
eluded what was afterward the Carley Brook, Damascus, Nar-
rowsburg, and part of the present Beach Lake charges. The
circuit was about sixteen miles wide from east to west, and
George W. Leach said, "Its north and south limits might have
been one hundred miles apart without interfering with any other
charge." Much of the territory was covered with a dense growth
of hemlock, at that time of no value unless it was near the Dela-
ware River. Meetings were held in the house of Edward Mar-
A parsonage was built in 1844 by Rev. John Barns, who re-
sided in a very inferior house about four miles from Vine Hill.
Beach Lake, Pa. 603
He worked so hard in excavating the cellar that his death, soon
after, was attributed to overwork.
The site for the church was given the society in 1850 by Mr.
George Wells, and the church erected the same year at a cost of
$2,000. It was dedicated on November 14, 1850, at 11 a. m., Rev.
George Peck preaching the sermon.
This church was repaired several times, but more extensively
in 1901. Four hundred dollars was spent in steel ceiling, new
pews, wainscoting, and minor repairs, all of which amount was
raised prior to the reopening. The pastor prepared an elaborate
program for the occasion. Rev. A. F. Chaffee was to lecture on
the evening of February 21, 1902. Saturday evening, the 22d,
Rev. W. H. Hiller was to lecture on George Washington. On
Sunday Rev. Mr. Hiller was to preach in the morning, and Rev.
G. M. Bell in the evening, and on Monday evening, the 24th, the
choir of the Honesdale Methodist Episcopal Church was to give
a concert. On Friday a heavy snowstorm began, which, before it
stopped, covered the ground with three feet of snow, rendering
the roads impassable, so that the first lecture was the only one
realized. Being snowed in. Rev. Mr. Chaffee was forced to pro-
tract his stay, and preached on Sunday to such as were brave
enough to wade through the snow to the church.
The parsonage stands near the church on a large plot of ground.
It was bought of a widow for $600. The first parsonage, being
away from the church some miles, was sold.
There is an old church at Vine Hill which was dedicated by
Rev. William Wyatt on May 16, 1861. This is no longer used.
The years 1856, 1868-69, and 1886 are memorable because of
Rev. Benjamin Ferris died at Beach Lake on December 17,
1846. The people of the charge defrayed the expenses of his
sickness and burial, and erected a marble stone at his grave in
Vine Hill Cemetery.
George Wells served as class leader here twenty-seven years.
After his death George Olver was appointed and has served thirty
years. Richard Olver was the first Sunday school superintendent
and served twenty years. George Olver served the Sunday school
in this capacity twenty-two years. Joseph Olver has been a trus-
tee over fifteen years, and is the only trustee who has served
Jonathan Spry went from this church into the ministry, and is
now preaching in Iowa. J. W. Tamblyn, who is now in the
ministry of the Free Methodist Church, is a son of this church.
604 Wyoming Conference
White Mills appointment was founded by Rev. G. A. Cure.
While he was stationed at Hawley he began services on Sunday
afternoons, holding them in the old schoolhouse, which is now
remodeled into a dwelling and stands directly opposite the church.
The church cost $1,800, and was dedicated in the spring of 1891.
WHITE MILLS CHURCH [photo]
Mr. Dorflinger gave $500 toward the enterprise. The church
freed itself from debt in the winter of 1898. From 1898-1900
new sheds were built costing $140, a new bell purchased costing
$70, and the church painted. The trustees of this church are
J. Wesley Toms, Lyman Garrett, E. A. Wood, L. A. Williams,
and George Silsby.
Bethel Schoolhouse is an out-appointment where there have
been services over forty years. At one time the Baptists alter-
nated with the Methodists in holding services. Of late the Meth-
odists have 'had the field exclusively. Services are held every
Sunday at 1:30 p. m. The class is not strong, but is persistent.
1843-44, John Barns; 1845, E. A. Young; 1846, Benjamin
Ferris; 1847, C. Perkins; 1848, Morse; 1849, G. M. Peck;
1850-51, J. D. Safford, Abel Barker; 1852, E. Smith, J. S. David;
Bethany, Pa. 605
1853, E. Smith, M. Carrier; 1854, C. E. Taylor, D. Gorham; 1855,
C. E. Taylor; 1856-57, E. W. Breckinridge; 1858-59, S. Barner;
1860-61, William Shelp; 1862-63, D. Williams; 1864, J. F.
Wilbur; 1865-67, N. S. De Witt; 1868-69, J- L- Race; 1870-72,
George C. Hart; 1873, F. Gendall; 1874-75, R. C. Gill; 1876-77,
P. M. Mott; 1878-80, W. R. Netherton; 1881, A. E. Loomis;
1882, C. G. Wood; 1883, J. A. Faulkner; 1884-85, J. R. Allen;
1886, W. H. Hiller; 1887-88, H. A. Blanchard; 1889, J. A.
Transue; 1890, C. W. Todd; 1891-94, B. F. Larabee; 1895, M. S.
Buckingham; 1896-97, A. C. Brackenbury; 1898-1901, D. S. Mac-
Kellar; 1902, L. D. Tyler, J. M. Coleman; 1903, J. M. Coleman.
In 1902 L. D. Tyler's health failed, and J. M. Coleman filled out
It is claimed that Methodist preachers visited this locality as
early as 1805. When Gideon Draper was sent to Canaan Circuit
in 1807 he found his way to Bethany. Here "he found that an
old Baptist elder had warned the people against him as 'an
English spy' and 'a horse thief.' A large congregation assembled
in the courthouse to hear him [Bethany was the county seat of
Wayne County until 1842]. He referred to the slanderous report,
and, calling the slanderer by name, wished to know if he were
present. Upon being told that he was not there, he gave a satis-
factory account of himself, and left another appointment. The
next day he called upon the old elder and gave him his choice,
either to take back what he had said or to sustain a prosecution.
He wisely chose the former, and thus the matter ended."
In 1810 George Harmon and Samuel Thompson were the
preachers on Canaan Circuit. Dr. Peck says he "found a class at
Bethany, and appointed Joseph Miller leader." It does not ap-
pear that a class had been formed prior to this. Nor do we know
anything about the regularity of preaching service from Mr.
Draper's time till Mr. Harmon's. "Mr. Miller was sheriff of the
county and a man of respectability. Before he left the place Mr.
Harmon was informed that the Baptists had sent for an elder,
and intended to break up the class. He sent a local preacher to
fill his appointments, and remained a week. The elder did not
come, but left Mr. Harmon to himself, and he had a fine revival,
and received into the society a number more."
When Rev. George Peck was on the Canaan Circuit Bethany
courthouse was the only place of any pretensions in which he
preached. Subsequently the society worshiped in the old Presby-
606 Wyoming Conference
terian church, which was built as a union church, for a number of
years. After this old church was repaired the Methodists wor-
shiped three or four years in the old fireproof building now used
as a town hall. In 1822 the Presbyterians bought of the Meth-
odists and Baptists their interest in some lots, paying the society
$50. Just where these lots were, or how the Methodists became
interested in them, we are unable to state.
The first church building erected by the Methodists was put up
in 1833. This building was remodeled in 1875, and reopened on
BETHANY CHURCH [photo]
Saturday, October 30, 1875, at 2 p. m., Revs. L. W. Peck, G. M.
Peck, and H. M. Crydenwise officiating.
On September 4, 1886, the Baptists conveyed to the society by
deed the present site and building for $100. In 1887 this building
was remodeled and enlarged, making it substantially a new build-
ing, with furnace, cushions, carpet, bell, and Sunday school room
complete, at a total cost of $2,100. It was dedicated on January
19, 1888, Rev. J. C. Leacock preaching the sermon, and Rev. J. B.
Sumner conducting the dedicatory service. The Wyoming Trio
were present and added to the interest of the day by their singing.
In consideration of $680 Richard Webb and wife deeded to the
society a property on Sugar and Wayne Streets, on November 18,
1862. This was used for a parsonage. On November 23, 1870,
the society deeded this property back to Mr. Webb, valuing it at
Bethany, Pa. 607
$1,000, and took from Mr. Webb the present property, which was
considered more desirable for a parsonage.
The old house had stood for many years — some have said as
many as seventy-five. After having been used as a parsonage for
a long time it was demolished and the present house built at an
expense of $1,200.
In the spring of 1847 a revival here resulted in over sixty
accessions to the church.
Aldenville is about five miles west of Bethany. A society
existed here some time before the erection of the church. The
church was begun in 1854 and finished in 1855. It was dedicated
on Thursday, January 3, 1856, at 11 A. m., Rev. George Landon
preaching the sermon. The Aldens gave $400 toward the enter-
prise. On July 20, 1857, Julius T. Alden and wife and Levi H.
Alden and wife deeded the lot upon which the church was built,
containing 41 rods and 87% feet, to the society as a gift. This
church was repaired and renovated in 1893, at a cost of $400.
Meetings have been held by the Methodists in the Glass Factory
schoolhouse, which is three and a half miles from Aldenville, and
one and a half miles from Bethany.
Bethany and Honesdale were together until 1841, and covered
a good deal of territory; prior to 1830, on the Canaan Circuit.
1830, Morgan Sherman; 1831, M. Baker; 1832, Erastus Smith;
1833-34, C. Nash; 1835, H. F. Rowe; 1836, H. F. Rowe, I.
Conover; 1837, L. Mumford, Philo Blackman; 1838, L. Mum-
ford; 1839, J. B. Benham; 1840, J. O. Boswell, E. Owen; 1841,
Lucien C. Bennett; 1842-43, _____; 1844 (with Mount Pleasant),
William Dean; 1845-46, C. Perkins; 1847-48, H. Brownscombe;
1849, J- D. Safford; 1850, G. M. Peck, Glover Laird; 1851, C.
Perkins, A. Barker; 1852, A. Barker; 1853, Z. S. Kellogg, A.
Barker; 1854, S. S. Barter, A. Barker; 1855, S. W. Weiss; 1856,
J. A. Baldwin; 1857, W. H. Leake; 1858, F. Spencer; 1859-60,
Joseph Madison; 1861-62, N. S. De Witt; 1863-64, J. K. Peck;
1865-67, J. L. Race; 1868-70, J. W. Hewitt; 1871, L. Cole; 1872,
H. H. Dresser; 1873-74, George C. Hart; 1875-76, J. H. Taylor;
1877, R. J. Kellogg; 1878-79, P. R. Tower; 1880-81, J. T. Bur-
rail; 1882-83, William Edgar; 1884, L. Cole; 1885, B. B. Carruth;
1886-90, P. Houck; 1891-92, Joseph Madison; 1893-94, S.
Homan; 1895, J. A. Transue; 1896-98, H. E. Wheeler; 1899-
1900, H. A. Smith; 1901-02, A. O. Williams; 1903, F. F. Gibbs.
608 Wyoming Conference
During the autumn of 1828 a few Methodists, among whom
were Jesse Gardner, James Birdsall, Wanton Hill, Stephen
Marsh, Jesse Clark, Addison Clark, H. B. Jadwin, and Vene Lee,
began to hold meetings in the house of Vene Lee. Vene Lee was
the husband of Mother Lee, familiarly known in this section to
Methodists of early days, and a woman of great force of character
and power. He was a butcher, and his home stood on the lot now
occupied by the Nealon building on the northwest corner of Main
Street and Seventh Avenue.
It is supposed that all of the parties named above were heads
of families except Jesse and Addison Clark.
The pioneer preacher was William Griffin, a local preacher
living in Canaan, and a brother of Mother Lee. Mrs. Harriet
Watt, while she was alive, could be seen almost any day sitting
in a hardwood rocking-chair made by this preacher, which looks as
if it were good for use the next hundred years.
Either Vene Lee, or John Lee his son, died in the winter of
1830. Shortly after his death the family moved back to Canaan.
Until their removal preaching services were usually held in the
Lee house. After their removal and until the church was ready
for occupancy preaching services were held in the homes of
various members of the society. It is very probable that the
schoolhouse erected in 1851 was used by the Methodists for a
During these years prayer meetings were held at private houses.
In the spring of 1832 the society began to build its first church,
which was completed in the fall. It was built upon the lot now
occupied by the stone church, the lot being a gift from the Dela-
ware and Hudson Canal Company. This building was a one-
story frame building about 36x56 feet in size, and stood with its
front close to the line of the present sidewalk. The frame was
erected by Mr. Burgess, and the balance of the work was done by
John McKune. Mr. Harry Johnson, who lived to be past ninety,
for many years president of the board of trustees, worked for
Mr. McKune at the time by the month, and consequently had to
do with the building.
Shortly after the building was erected the newly organized
Episcopalians purchased an interest in the church, they to have
the use of it a part of the time for their services. In March, 1838,
the Methodists bought back the interest sold to the Episcopalians,
paying $218 for the same.
Carbondale, Pa. 609
In the spring of 1849 work upon the second church building
was begun. After the foundation was laid and the frame up a
temporary floor was put in, seats extemporized, and on June 14,
at 1:30 p. m., the corner stone was laid. The services were con-
ducted by Rev. William Reddy, assisted by Rev. T. H. Pearne.
This building was 47x70 feet, with a basement containing a
lecture room and four class rooms. The audience room had a
gallery across one end, over the vestibule, and including the
gallery would seat six hundred people. The belfry was so con-
structed as to contain a bell and town clock, which were soon put
OLD CARBONDALE CHURCH [photo]
in. Upon the top of the belfry was a weather vane, called by
some an eagle, by others a dove, and by others a goose.
This church was located on the rear half of the church lot, its
front being within three or four feet of the rear of the first church
building. Its front would be about where the center of the present
This church was dedicated on May 1, 1850. The morning
sermon was by Dr. Nathan Bangs from I Cor. iii, 11-15, and the
evening sermon by William Reddy from 2 Cor. iv, 5.
This building cost about $4,000. In order to prosecute the
enterprise $1,000 was borrowed of Chauncey Shaffer, of New
610 Wyoming Conference
York city, on seven years' time, to be paid in installments, and
$500 borrowed of one of the trustees. This is supposed to be the
amount of indebtedness at the time of dedication.
About the time this church was entered for regular worship the
first church building was sold to the Baptists for $150, and was
moved by them to the lot adjoining on the south. There are
many of the older inhabitants of this city who remember it.
In 1851 the city rented the lecture room and two class rooms
for one year, and used the rooms for sessions of court.
In this year an effort was made to decrease the indebtedness.
Rev. H. R. Clarke, the pastor, went down the valley and received
$127.50, and from a trip to New York received $62.50. Home
subscriptions increased the total amount to $580.
In the fall of 1854 shrinkage in subscriptions, accumulated in-
terest, and principal made the total indebtedness of the society
$2,600. This was alarming, as a sale by the sheriff seemed almost
a certainty. Rev. William Wyatt, the pastor, made several visits
to New York city, down the Wyoming Valley, and out West in
quest of funds. He succeeded in raising $1,600 in this way. The
balance of the indebtedness was heroically raised by the strug-
gling church at home. Rev. Mr. Wyatt's pastorate was charac-
terized by three things: the raising of the debt, a fierce fight with
spiritualism, and a glorious revival in which there were over two
hundred conversions. Over one hundred and thirty of the con-
verts joined this society. In 1867 the society was found to be in
arrears $1,000. Under the leadership of the pastor this was
liquidated, and the society again declared out of debt.
In 1875 $3,529 was spent in general repairs, which was provided
for before reopening. Reopening services were held from the 3d
to the 7th of November. Services were held on the afternoon and
evening of each day except Sunday, the 7th, when the services
were held in the morning and evening. The following clergymen
were present and preached during the services: H. R. Clarke, I. T.
Walker, A. Griffin, G. H. Blakeslee, William Reddy, H. Browns-
combe, D. A. Shepard, J. O. Woodruff, and L. W. Peck.
The last services held in this church were on Sunday, March 20,
1892, after which, and until the new church was ready for occu-
pancy, a tabernacle, costing about $500, and located on the rear
of the parsonage lot, was used by the society for worship. The
building which had housed this people from 1850 to 1892 was
torn down to make room for the new building.
The corner stone of the present beautiful church was laid on
September 7, 1892. A large assemblage of the church members
Carbondale, Pa. 611
and citizens witnessed the event. The services were in charge of
On Wednesday, September 13, 1893, the church was dedicated.
Dr. S. F. Upham, of Drew Theological Seminary, preached at 2:30
p. M. from Luke xxiv, 32. At 7:30 p. m. Dr. Thomas Hanlon,
president of Pennington Seminary, preached from Matt. xxiii, 4.
Dr. Hanlon did the soliciting of funds at both services. The
church was dedicated by the presiding elder. Rev. W. L. Thorpe.
Nine former pastors were at this service: Rev. Y. C. Smith, D.D.;
Rev. G. M. Peck; Rev. A. Griffin; Rev. I. T. Walker; Rev.
CARBONDALE CHURCH [photo]
Burned November 17, 1901
William Reddy, D.D.; Rev. A. B. Richardson; Rev. H. R. Clarke,
D.D.; Rev. W. M. Hiller; Rev. J. O. Woodruff.
The church cost $40,186.55. Prior to the day of dedication
$25,439.44 had been subscribed, and on the day of dedication
$6,051. Toward the balance the Ladies' Aid Society and Young
Lady Workers have paid several thousand dollars.
The building was put up by T. C. Robinson.
The Sunday school raised $1,600 toward the enterprise.
The pipe organ was the gift of Mrs. D. K. Morss, in memory
of her daughter, and cost $2,350. The Young Lady Workers had
planned to buy the organ, but learning of Mrs. Morss's desire,
they turned the money they had raised into the building fund.
612 Wyoming Conference
In 1897 a house and lot at 114 Belmont Street was purchased
for $2,000. The lower part of the house was fitted for Sunday
school work; the upper part is used by the janitor. A thrifty Sun-
day school was organized, and weekly prayer meetings are held.
On September 10, 1899, the seventy-first anniversary of the
society was observed. At 9 a. m. Rev. J. F. Warner conducted a
Pentecostal service; and at 10:30 Rev. John Krantz, D.D.,
preached upon The Ascension. In the evening Rev. A. B. Rich-
ardson, D.D., preached from I Pet. ii, 9. During the day the fol-
lowing amount was asked for: amount of outstanding bonds,
$6,400; balance of purchase money for Belmont chapel, $1,400;
interest on above until maturity, $600; temporary loan, $600; in-
surance for three years, $200; painting and other repairs on
church, $200; anniversary expenses, $100. Total, $9,500.
The people responded so cheerfully that over $10,000 was sub-
scribed. The subscriptions were taken on condition that two
years' time would be given for payment — the amount of each
subscription to be divided into eighths, and an eighth paid every
three months. On September 8, 1901, an anniversary service
was held for the purpose of bringing to a close the debt-paying
scheme. The shrinkage on the subscription list was so small that
only $100 was needed to cancel the debt. To this was added $100
to repay money borrowed to put in the parsonage heater, and
the congregation was asked for $200, which amount was soon
raised. Rev. A. H. Wyatt, D.D., preached in the morning upon
The Ascension, and in the evening from James i, 25. At the even-
ing service Pierce Butler, president of board of trustees, burned
the mortgage, while the people sang repeatedly the doxology.
On the morning of November 17, 1901, the church was dis-
covered to be on fire between 6 and 7 a. m., and in a few hours
it was in ruins. It is believed that the fire started in the furnace
room. By mistake, Mr. Charles Hull, who was returning from
the tower during the fire, when he reached the first landing, went
through the gallery door into the auditorium, instead of going
down the stairway. He barely escaped with his life, his hands
and face being badly burned.
This day was to have been the annual missionary day, and
preparations had been made for an advance in the missionary
collection. Heartbreaking and tears came' instead.
On the afternoon of this day the official board met and resolved
to take steps at once toward rebuilding. On the following Mon-
day night A. Pascoe, T. C. Robinson, A. E. Tiffany, F. C. White-
lock, and A. F. Chaffee were constituted a building committee.
Carbondale. Pa. 613
In a short time Mr. E. Langley, of Scranton, was engaged as
architect. After the plans and specifications were completed,
A. E. Tiffany, J. A. Hoole, and William Edgett were invited to
submit bids for the work. On the evening of March 25, 1902,
the committee received the bids, which were as follows: Mr.
Edgett, $26,940; Mr. Tiffany, $26,500; Mr. Hoole, $23,375. These
bids did not include the steel trusses which support the roof, nor
the steel girder in the partition between the auditorium and the
Sunday school room. Mr. Hoole's bid was accepted.
During the time this work was being done a committee com-
CARBONDALE PRESENT CHURCH [photo]
posed of A. Pascoe, W. D. Evans, and A. F. Chaffee, made an
extensive canvass relative to the purchase of a pipe organ. Upon
the suggestion of this committee the board contracted with Mr.
M. P. Moller, of Hagerstown, Md., for an organ costing $3,300.
The community and surrounding towns were very sympathetic.
Sister churches magnanimously offered the use of their churches.
The society used the Baptist church one Sunday, and then for
several weeks worshiped with the Presbyterians, the Presbyterian
and Methodist pastors alternating in the pulpit work. Mr. W. E.
Watt offered the society the use of his hall gratuitously. Chairs
were purchased to seat the hall at once, such as would be desirable
for use in the church, when ready. Services were commenced in
614 Wyoming Conference
the hall about the first of January, 1902, and continued here
until March 1, 1903. The kindness of Mr. Watt was highly
appreciated by the society.
The church received $20,000 insurance. Generous friends from
Scranton and in Carbondale contributed over $3,000, chiefly
through the tactful energy of Mrs. A. Pascoe. The societies in
the church began work at once to secure funds. At the dedicatory
services the treasurer of the board of trustees rendered the follow-
Amount of J. A. Hoole contract $23,375.00
Steel trusses not in contract 2,000.00
Steam heaters, pipes, plumbing, sewering, and grading 2,800.00
Gas and electric piping, wiring, and fixtures 950.00
Stained glass dome and windows 1,985.00
Decorating and varnishing 716.00
Architect's commission 720.00
Pipe organ 3,300.00
Pews and chairs 1,906.00
Altar furniture 150.25
Carpets and linoleum 663.50
Church hymnals and music 198.00
Insurance, three years 278.18
Sundry minor accounts 103.90
Total cost of building $40,095.76
Of the above there is yet unpaid $6,772.
Received in cash from insurance on burned building $19,800.00
Received in cash from subscriptions already publicly acknowl-
From Scranton 2,050.00
" Carbondale 922.00
Received in cash since publication of list:
From James Stott 250.00
" Young Lady Workers 1,000.00
" Ladies' Aid Society 924.12
" two concerts 121.75
" Sunday school square-foot plan 400.00
" Harriet M. Watt Est, memorial window 350.00
" Olive R. Shiffer, memorial window 175.00
" Epworth League, on memorial window 50.00
" sale old material of church 167.56
" collections for bell 500.00
" interest on deposit in bank. 500.82
" sale of 4 per cent bonds
payable at any interest period 10,500.00
Total cash receipts $ 37,711.25
Carbondale, Pa. 615
Financial Condition March 7, 1903
Balance due on contracts and unpaid accounts $6,772.00
Balance due on trustees' note 250.00
Amount temporary bonds outstanding 10,500.00
Less cash on hand $4,387.49
Less subscriptions unpaid 225.00
Indebtedness unprovided for $12,909.51
The church was dedicated on Sunday, March 8, 1903, Rev.
John Krantz, D.D., preaching in the morning from Psa. xxvi, 8,
and in the evening Rev. A. Griffin, D.D., preached from Ezra v, 9.
During the day $13,000 was subscribed to meet the balance of the
indebtedness. At the evening service the following hymn by the
pastor's wife was sung with great enthusiasm:
"Our fathers' God, to-day
Before thy feet we lay
Now show thy presence here,
O, let us feel thee near.
While we with holy fear
Thy praises sing!
"From ruins sore and great
This beauteous house complete
Before thee stands.
May it accepted be,
Our gracious God, by thee!
We give it heartily
Into thy hands.
"Here may our Father's love
And Jesus' power to save
The Holy Spirit's power
Fall in a glorious shower
In many a joyful hour,
And on us rest.
"May sinners seek thy face.
And saints with wondrous grace
Be strangely thrilled!
Within this house of thine
Do thou in glory shine!
With majesty divine
May it be filled!
616 Wyoming Conference
"Our hearts rejoice as we
Now dedicate to thee
This new abode.
Before thy throne we bend,
To heaven our hearts ascend,
This church is thine, our Friend,
Our glorious God."
The dedicatory services were conducted by the presiding elder,
Rev. J. F. Warner.
The dedicatory services were followed by a Feast of Dedica-
tion. On Monday night Rev. Henry Jones, S.T.D., of Wilkes-
Barre, preached, and the Episcopal rector, of Carbondale, pre-
sided, while his choir furnished the music. On Tuesday evening
Rev. Charles Lee, pastor of the Carbondale Presbyterian Church,
presided, his choir furnished the music, and Rev. J. H. Odell,
D.D., of Scranton, preached. Wednesday evening was the
Methodist night. Rev. J. F. Warner presided, and Rev. A. W.
Hayes, D.D., of Binghamton, preached. Thursday night Rev.
H. J. Whalen, D.D., pastor of the Carbondale Baptist Church,
presided, and his choir furnished the music, while the sermon was
by Rev. J. W. Phillips, D.D., of Binghamton. On Friday night
the pastor and wife gave a reception.
The Ladies' Aid Society raised $1,000 during the year the
church was building, and subscribed as much more on the day of
dedication. The Young Lady Workers did the same. The Sun-
day school raised $1,000 by its square-foot plan.
The bell in this church is historic. The bell in the old church
was cast in 1850, and weighed seven hundred and sixty-two
pounds. It was the first bell of any size in the city. For many
years it sounded the hours of the day, being connected with the
town clock in the steeple. It was used as a fire alarm for the
town many years. In the war days it called the people together
to bid farewell to the soldiers who had enlisted in the war for
the suppression of the rebellion, and tolled the funeral knell of
many who were brought back dead. It tolled upon the death of
Abraham Lincoln, Conference being in session at Carbondale at
the time. It called Wyoming Conference together for its first
session. It was an extraordinarily sweet-toned bell, and the
people were very fond of it. It was ruined by the fire. One
hundred and forty-five pounds of it were made into souvenir bells,
which, selling at one dollar each, created a fund which bought
the present bell. Six hundred and seventeen pounds of the bell
were used in the construction of the present bell, enough metal
Carbondale, Pa. 617
being added to make a bell weighing two thousand and twelve
The piano is a gift of some Scranton ladies, and the range was
donated by the Scranton Stove Works. The pulpit is the gift of
Mr. Frank Smith, in memory of his father, Dr. Y. C. Smith, and
the communion table is the gift of Mr. Lester Smith, in memory
of his mother. The collection plates were given by Dr. C. W.
Colburn, while the Junior League gave the pulpit Bible and
In building the present church it was found that the walls had
not been seriously damaged by the fire, and they were used sub-
stantially as they were. The front gable was enlarged and the
stonework in the tower extended about fifteen feet.
The south window is in memory of John and Harriet Watt,
and is "Christ Blessing the Children." The west window was
given by Mrs. Olive R. Shiffer in memory of George M. and
Angle M. Rowley, her parents, and William L. and Clarissa A.
Rowley. The figure is Christ taking leave of his mother. George
Rowley led the choir in this church a long while. The north
window was put in by the Epworth League and is "The Visit of
the Women to the Sepulcher." The three windows are after
paintings by Bernard Plockhorst.
The first parsonage was built in 1843, on the lot now occupied
by the parsonage. It was a story-and-a-half frame building and
cost $750. The deed for the lot was not secured of the Delaware
and Hudson Canal Company until November 1, 1855. Consider-
In 1867 this house was raised to two stories, and otherwise
improved, at an expense of $480. A part of this amount was
provided for by subscriptions and a part carried by loan.
In the early part of 1878 the house was burned. Rev. J. C.
Shelland was occupying it at the time, but lost very little of his
belongings. The present house was built the same year, at a
cost of $2,000.
The first meeting of the society for election of trustees was held
at the meetinghouse on the evening of October 16, 1839. Rev.
F. A. Stanton was elected chairman and Raymond W. Graves
secretary. Jesse Gardner was elected trustee for the term of one
year, James Birdsall and Wanton Hill for two years, and Judson
Clark and Silas Burrows for three years. We have no record of
either trustee meetings or of the society for the purpose of elect-
ing trustees until January 6, 1842, at which time Joseph Hutchins
was elected trustee. In the fall of 1843 the trustees discovered
618 Wyoming Conference
that the society had no charter, though most of the people sup-
posed one to exist. An attempt to get one had failed, through
neglect of the committee appointed to secure one.
Accordingly, the pastor, with the concurrence of the presiding
elder, and in harmony with Disciplinary law, appointed the fol-
lowing trustees on November 11, 1843: Jesse Gardner, James
Birdsall, Wanton Hill, Judson Clark, Elam Woodward, Michael
Van deck, Raymond W. Graves, Anthony P. Gardner, and Rod-
Steps were at once taken to secure a charter. At a meeting of
the trustees held on November 17, 1843, a charter was approved
and application for its grant by the court forwarded to the court.
On April 18, 1844, the Luzerne County Court decreed the charter
granted, and "The Methodist Episcopal Church of Carbondale"
began its corporate existence.
This charter provides that the trustees shall be elected by the
board of trustees, on nomination of the pastor, and their term of
service is lifelong.
The following persons have been elected trustees, and on the
dates given: James Dickson and Ezra Newton, April 8, 1844;
Daniel Taylor, December 24, 1844; William Johnson, September
9, 1845; Evan Harris and Abraham Snyder, November 2, 1846;
Daniel Bacon, November 13, 1846; Stephen S. Clark, Henry
Johnson, and Orin Kilburn, January 25, 1849 (S. S. Clark re-
signed in 185s, again elected October 1, 1862, and is still a mem-
ber of this board; Henry Johnson served until 1899 — two very
long terms of service); Evan Harris, Canfield Harrison, and
Orin Whittemore, December 27, 1849; John McFarlane and
Joseph L. David, June 9, 1851; John Watt, January 12, 1852
(served until his death, in June, 1885); D. C. David, May 14,
1852; J. G. Thompson, March 3, 1854; Lewis Pughe, May 26,
1854; N. D. Farnham, January 24, 1855; William Lindsay,
November 28, 1856; J. W. Churchill, October 1, 1862; M. C.
Dykman and N. P. Cramer, June 10, 1867; E. T. Rowley, October
21, 1867; A. Pascoe, 1872; D. Scurry, April 16, 1873 (served
until his death, in March, 1903); Joseph Isgar (date of election
unknown); W. G. Reynolds, November 16, 1874 (served until
his death, in March, 1900); H. B. Jadwin, December 7, 1878;
Pierce Butler, January 16, 1882; H. P. Hathaway, October 16,
1885 (served until his death, in April, 1898); Irving Davis,
January 28, 1889; T. C. Robinson, March 19, 1891; W. E.
Kirby, September r, 1892; F. C. Whitelock, September 19, 1901;
A. E. Tiffany, April 1, 1903.
Carbondale, Pa. 619
The Wyoming Conference was organized in Carbondale in
1852. Since that time the church has entertained the Conference
three times; April, 1865; April, 1882; and April, 1895.
During Y. C. Smith's second year sickness incapacitated him,
and J. L. Wells supplied the pulpit four months.
In the early days of this charge the pastor served Greenfield
and Dundaff which formed a part of the charge.
The eccentric and justly famous Lorenzo Dow preached here
in the "forties."
Mrs. Julia Davis and Mrs. Elgie Graves, sisters, joined the
church in 1836 and remained members until their death, 1903
and 1902 respectively.
Mrs. Phoebe Decker, a member of this church, lived to be
ninety-seven years of age.
Mrs. Harriet Watt had been a communicant of this church
sixty years when she died, in 1902, at ninety-two years of age.
Mr. Henry Johnson served the church as trustee forty years,
and Mr. S. S. Clark forty-six years. The latter is still on the
board, being ninety-two years old.
Mr. D. C. Benscoter had charge of the infant department of
the Sunday school twenty-five years.
Mrs. William Johnson was a member of the Sunday school
fifty-six years, and Irving Davis has been a member since 1850.
Following close upon these are Mrs. William Thompson, Mrs.
John Bell, Lauretta Coogan, Mrs. G. D. Couch, J. M. Alexander,
Revs. H. G. Blair, John B. Davis, Williams T. Blair, and Hugh
A. Williams have entered Wyoming Conference from this church.
Rev.. F. B. Schoonover, another son, is now teaching in our
school in Rome, Italy. Rev. B. W. Dix, another son, is now in
college preparing for the ministry.
No. 4 chapel is situated just above White's Station on the
Delaware and Hudson Railroad, and was built in 1874, at a cost
of $600, and with the exception of a few years in which it was
with Forest City has been a mission of Carbondale Church. A
Sunday school is conducted part of the year, Sunday evening
prayer meetings are sustained, and the pastor preaches there
occasionally. Mr. Pierce Butler was the moving spirit in the
erection of this church.
1830-32, Alanson Reed; 1833, M. K. Cushman; 1834-35, Hiram
Shephard; 1836, A. J. Crandall; 1837, A. J. Crandall, J. Conover;
620 Wyoming Conference
1838-39, F. H. Stanton; 1840, John Davison; 1841, William
Reddy; 1842-43, J. B. Benham; 1844-45, Hiram A. Luther; 1846,
Richard Cooke; 1847, P. S. Worden; 1848-49, B. W. Gorham;
1850-51, H. R. Clarke; 1852-53, W. Wyatt; 1854, H. Browns-
combe; 1855, T. D. Walker; 1856-57, A. Barker; 1858, George
H. Blakeslee, A. Barker; 1859-60, D. A. Shepard, A. Barker:
1861, J. M. Snyder; 1862-63, G.M.Peck; 1864-66, Ira T. Walker;
1867-69, J. O. Woodruff; 1870-71, Y. C. Smith; 1872-74, A.
Griffin; 1875, D. D. Lindsley; 1876-77, J. C. Shelland; 1878-79,
S. Moore; 1880-82, W. M. Hiller; 1883-85, L. C. Floyd; 1886-87,
O. H. McAnulty; 1888, A. B. Richardson; 1889-90, L. C. Floyd;
1891-94, W. Edgar; 1895-98, G. A. Place; 1899-1903, A. F.
Carley Brook, Pa.
The territory of this charge was with Beach Lake Circuit
many years. It was known as Oregon charge from the time it
was formed into a charge until 1899, when it was given its present
Meetings were first held in Carley Brook in one of the tannery
houses, owned by Gilbert & Palmer, in 1853. These meetings
were conducted by Rev. Ira Bonnie, a Wesleyan preacher. From
the tannery house the meetings were taken to the schoolhouse in
1854, where services were held until the building of the church.
On February 6, 1867, the court granted a charter to this society,
naming Jonathan H. Bryant, William Penwarden, James H.
Monnington, Joseph May, David L. Bryant, and William Davy
On June 25, 1876, in consideration of $13.50, John Reifler
deeded the society two acres and four perches of land. The same
season a parsonage was built on this land, costing $1,000.
In 1886 the church was erected on a part of the land bought
of Mr. Reifler. The building cost $1,250, and was dedicated on
November 16, 1886. Revs. W. L. Thorpe and William M. Hiller
preached the sermons of the occasion.
Girdland is four miles north of Carley Brook. In 1851 services
were held in the house of Jonathan Bryant, and in 1857 regular
preaching services were established in the Girdland schoolhouse,
and continued there until the church was built. Mrs. Bryant
was the first member enrolled, and Mark Cook the second. The
class was formed in 1858 with Mark Cook leader. At the close
of the first year the class had six members.
The lot for the church was given by Neville Holgate and Fred-
Rileyville, Pa. 621
erick Erhardt, each giving 60x120 feet. On August 4, 1894,
ground was broken, and the corner stone laid on the 19th. The
church is 22x35 feet, with a side room 22x14 feet, and cost $2,000.
The church was dedicated on November 15, 1894. Rev. W. L.
Thorpe, the presiding elder, preached in the afternoon and con-
ducted the dedicatory service. The pastor read the dedicatory
service in German after the English had been read. Rev. C. A.
Benjamin preached in the evening.
Torrey is four and a half miles northeast of Carley Brook.
The church at Torrey was built about 1849. On March 23, 1847,
William Tamblyn and wife deeded the society one acre of land
in consideration of $20. This is the lot upon which the church
is built with the cemetery back of the church. The trustees at
the time were Jacob W. Travis, Richard Neale, William Tam-
blyn, William Olver, Edward Marshall, Willis Sherwood, James
Smith. The society here is contemplating the building of a new
church, and has $1,000 raised for that purpose.
Smith Hill is three miles east of Carley Brook. On October
6; 1855, Lucius Broughton and wife deeded to the society as a
gift eighty-one perches of land, James L. Bennett, James Smith,
George Bush, George Wills, William Tamblyn, and Samuel
Silsby being the trustees at that time. This land is used as a
cemetery, and is beside and back of the church.
The church at this place is believed to have been built in 1841,
the class being a part of Beach Pond Circuit at the time. On
July 19, 1884, the Beach Pond trustees deeded this property to
Carley Brook. In 1894 $400 was expended in repairs on this
church, which was reopened on November 16, 1894, by Rev.
W. L. Thorpe.
West Damascus is a schoolhouse appointment seven miles north-
east of Carley Brook. Services have been held here since 1854.
Rileyville is now a part of Carley Brook charge. The first
preaching here was in the house of Joseph Bass. A class was
formed with Mr. Bass leader, who was also an exhorter. Some
of the early members were Joseph Bass, E. Wheatcroft, Sr., E.
Wheatcroft, Jr., David Spafford, and their wives, and five or six
members of the Harrison family.
The church is 34x50, with a recess 5x11 for the pulpit, and is
heated by a furnace. It cost $3,000, $964 of which was raised
on the day of dedication. The building was dedicated on Wednes-
622 Wyoming Conference
day, October 4, 1871. Rev. W. P. Abbott preached from 2 Chron.
vi, 18, and Rev. D. C. Olmstead conducted the dedicatory services.
The lot was a gift from John Taylor, and was deeded to the
society on September 15, 1871.
From 1872 to 1884 Rileyville appeared among the appoint-
ments with the following pastors: 1872, G. W. Robinson; 1873-
74, G. W. Leach; 1875-76, G. W. Blake; 1877, S. Stephens; 1878,
J. Durham; 1879-80, D. G. Stephens; 1881, S. W. Spencer;
1882-83, B. F. Larabee; 1884, T. Wamock. From 1885 to 1888
F. B. Larabee and C. W. Todd supplied the pulpit. From 1889
to 1893 the church was closed. Galilee and Rileyville were made
a charge in 1894, A. C. Brackenbury, pastor, serving through
1895. In 1896 it became a part of Carley Brook charge, where it
now is. There were a couple of years, however, when it was
supplied by Professor F. J. Niles.
1860, L. C. Phillips; 1861-62, F. Illman; 1863, J. Whitham;
1864, Jonas Underwood; 1865, D. Williams; 1866-67, S. T.
Cramp; 1868, J. D. Woodruff; 1869, R. E. Hall; 1870-71, George
Pritchett; 1872, G. Westfall; 1873, C. W. Sartell; 1874, John
Calnon; 1875, J. G. Stephens; 1876, S. W. Cole; 1877-79, J. T.
Burrall; 1880-81, F. P. Doty; 1882, E. O. Rowland; 1883-84,
P. J. Gates; 1885-86, J. R. Allen; 1887-89, C. W. Todd; 1890-94,
J. A. Transue; 1895, P. Houck; 1896-97, H. J. Heineman; 1898-
1901, J. G. Raymond; 1902-03, P. F. Mead.
Cherry Ridge, Pa.
In 1810 Revs. George Harmon and Samuel Thompson were
on the Canaan Circuit. Mr. Harmon organized a class at Cherry
Ridge. "He was invited by the wife of Dr. Collins to go home
with her and put up at her house. When Dr. Collins came home
Mrs. Collins said to him, 'I have invited Mr. Harmon to put up
with us, and I hope you will not insult him.' To which the Doctor
dryly responded, 'When the king is absent the queen makes the
laws.' 'Well, then,' said Mr. Harmon, 'I hope the king will not
abrogate what the queen has done in this case.' 'No, indeed, sir,'
answered the Doctor."
"Mr. Harmon preached at Cherry Ridge in the presence of a
Presbyterian missionary from the text, 'Be watchful, and
strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die' (Rev.
iii, 2). The gentleman thought that the drift of the discourse was
Cherry Ridge, Pa. 623
against the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints. Upon
being invited by Mr. Harmon to speak, he arose and proceeded
to remark that grace in the soul is compared to leaven in meal,
and leaven is a new principle independent of the meal. When
he had finished his analogical argument, Mr. Harmon arose and
addressed an old lady who was present thus: 'Mother, can you
make leaven without meal?' 'Well,' said the old lady, 'I think
it would be poor stuff.' 'Well, mother,' Mr. Harmon proceeded,
'what becomes of your bread when it is made?' 'We eat it when
it is good,' she answered, 'but when it is sour or becomes moldy
we give it to the hogs.' The missionary did not undertake to
mend up his figure."
Meetings were held in these early years at A. I. Stryker's
house and subsequently at Dr. Collins's home. Later services
were held in the schoolhouse, situated on the road between the
Darling farm and Eben Brown's. This schoolhouse was after-
ward burned. The Methodists then fitted up an old shop which
stood opposite the residence of H. V. Schenck, which was used
as a place of worship until 1849.
The building of a church was first agitated and a subscription
paper started by Lucius Collins in 1849. The subscription paper
is now in the hands of Lewis S. Collins, Esq., and contains the
following names: Lucius Collins, Thomas J. Lindsey, E. H.
Clark, Isaac M. Moore, Henry V. Schenck, David Kenner,
Lorenzo Collins, Stephen Sharpsteen, Benjamin N. Rider, An-
drew Anderson, Michael Collins, Daniel A. Woodward, Theron
Collins, Charles Wilson, Thomas Bonear, H. L. Collins, Antus
Collins, Isaac P. Rider, Jacob Kimble, Decius Collins, and Albert
Burgess. The residents of the town subscribed $197, to which
citizens of Honesdale added $127. The church cost $550 and
was built on land deeded to the church in 1869 by Lewis S. Col-
lins, Esq. The church was dedicated in 1849, Rev. William
Reddy preaching for the Methodists and Rev. Mr. Rounds for
the Presbyterians. This is a union church owned by the Meth-
odists and Presbyterians, but for a number of years has been
occupied exclusively by the Methodists. In 1869 it was enlarged
Prior to 1892 the pastors lived in rented houses. In 1892 the
parsonage was deeded to the society by the heirs of L. A.
The Cherry Ridge charge was formed in 1852, and consisted
of Cherry Ridge, Cherry Valley (now Hoadley's), and Middle
Creek (now Clemo).
624 Wyoming Conference
Hoadley's has been a part of Cherry Ridge charge since its
formation, and services have always been held in schoolhouses.
When the present schoolhouse was built, land was donated, and
the building erected by popular subscription, with the under-
standing that the building should be used for church purposes.
Prompton. The church here was built by the Universalists in
1839 and occupied by them until 1859, when it was converted
into an academy known as the Wayne County Normal School,
and was so used until 1880, at which time the property reverted
to the heirs of Benjamin Jenkins, Sr. In 1882 the Methodists
bought the building and lot for $380, and in 1887 it was dedicated
by Rev. W. L. Thorpe. The first trustees were Thomas Nichols,
E. R. Bodie, George Wager, I. W. Carr, and Justus Sears. In
1888 the building was painted and a bell purchased, at a cost of
$250. In 1892 a new floor was laid, the audience room seated with
opera chairs, and some minor repairs made at an expense of $295.
Prior to occupying this church the society worshiped in the
schoolhouse and in the Presbyterian church.
For several years Prompton was supplied from Honesdale.
Subsequently it was a part of Waymart, and finally became a part
of Cherry Ridge charge.
1852, M. Carrier; 1853, C. L. Griffin; 1854, M. Carrier; 1855,
J. A. Baldwin; 1856-57, C. White; 1858, J. Madison; 1859, C. C.
Smith, J. Whitham; 1860, F. Illman; 1861, A. R. Jones; 1862,
W. Silsbee; 1863, N. S. Reynolds; 1864, C. Pearce; 1865-67, D.
Williams; 1868, S. T. Cramp; 1869-71, R. Varcoe; 1872-74,
J. H. Taylor; 1875, C. F. Olmstead; 1876-77, G. M. Peck; 1878-
79, J. L. Wells; 1880-81, J. B. Sweet; 1882-84, A. C. Olver;
1885, R. M. Pascoe; 1886-87, B. N. Butts; 1888-90, S. Morris;
1891-93, H. E. Wheeler; 1894-96, William Rawlings; 1897-98,
W. S. Wilcox; 1899-1901, E. D. Cavanaugh; 1902-03, J. A.
Clifford charge is the remnant of the old Dundaff Circuit,
which in 1848 had a parsonage and eight appointments, two of
which had churches. In 1850 the circuit included Dundaff, the
present territory in Clifford charge, Uniondale, and most of the
Herrick Center charge. The circuit retained the name of Dun-
daff until 1866, when it was changed to Clifford, and Dundaff re-
mained with the Clifford Circuit until 1880, when it was put with
Clifford, Pa. 625
Uniondale to constitute a charge. The Dundaff Methodist Epis-
copal Church was chartered November 21, 1850, with Philip I.
Stewart, Francis Hull, Abraham Churchill, Isaac Sullender,
William Meredith, John B. Lake, Wheeler Lyon, Andrew Gid-
dings, and G. W. P. Lakin trustees. This incorporation was for
the purpose of holding property and transacting business for the
circuit. The stewards for the circuit that year were Isaac Sul-
lender, J. T. Rood, G. W. P. Lakin, F. P. Davison, M.D., Philip
Stewart, and A. Speer. The class leaders for the year were I.
Sullender, J. B. Lake, A. Giddings, R. Kay, J. Hutchins, J. C.
Dann, G. Lakin, A. Churchill, Silas Dann, Peter Bennett, and
H. A. Clum. George Grover and W. M. Churchill were local
deacons, and A. Churchill and Homer Davison exhorters.
The Clifford class worshiped for some time in the schoolhouse,
and for a while in the Baptist church. In 1867 the society pur-
chased a half interest in the old union church, the Universalists
owning the other half. The site for the present church was pur-
chased of J. Young for $113. The church cost $2,000, and was
dedicated on November 22, 1882. Rev. A. J. Van Cleft preached
in the morning, and at the close of his sermon raised $550 needed
to liquidate all indebtedness. Rev. A. B. Richardson preached in
the evening, the sermon being followed by short addresses by
some visiting clergymen and local parties.
In 1890 a Bell Brigade was organized, which raised funds to
purchase the bell.
Mr. Peter Bennett has been a member of the official board con-
tinuously since 1851.
The Ladies' Aid Society has been an important factor in church
work since 1875.
Some time before 1850 a parsonage property was bought, Dun-
daff Circuit agreeing to pay for it in annual installments, and
subscriptions providing for the total amount were secured. The
collection of the subscriptions was not properly looked after.
Death, removal, and embarrassment of subscribers combined to
render the society unable to fulfill its contract, and the pastor
moved out of the house. In 1851 an acre of land was bought at
Lenoxville and a parsonage erected on it, the cost of house and
lot being about $500. In 1856 this property was sold for $500, and
a parsonage property in Clifford purchased. In 1881 this house
and a part of the parsonage lot, it being a very large one, was
sold to Mr. William Green. On the portion of the lot which
was not sold the present parsonage was built, at a cost of about
626 Wyoming Conference
Lenoxville is four miles west of Clifford. In 1847 or 1848
small class was organized in Lenoxville, holding its meetings in
an old schoolhouse which has been remodeled and now serves as
a farmhouse on what is known as the W. F. Bennett farm.
Hiram White was the leader, and Francis Hull, John Carmichael,
L. N. Beagle, J. T. Rood, Joseph Allen, and A. Churchill among
the first members.
The site for the church was given by Mr. E. V. Decker, and
the church, which cost $2,300, was built in 1866. The dedicatory
sermon was delivered on December 20, 1866, by Rev. George M.
Peck, the presiding elder. A debt of $400 lingered several years.
The society was incorporated on January 18, 1866, with the
following trustees: S. F. Wright, E. V. Decker, M. J. Decker,
E. J. Brundage, P. Van Etten, and A. Churchill.
The Ladies' Aid Society has purchased blinds for the windows,
papered and painted the church, and bought new stoves.
Rev. A. Churchill has been a trustee over fifty years. He was
licensed to exhort about sixty-one years ago, and has been a- local
preacher nearly fifty years.
Tompkinsville is four miles south of Clifford. About 1835 a
Sunday school was organized in a barn owned by Welcome Col-
lins, on the farm now known as the Solomon Wedeman farm,
about two and a half miles northeast of Tompkinsville, on the old
turnpike, and Gideon Palmer was chosen superintendent. Subse-
quently Sunday schools were organized at various schoolhouses:
Cobb schoolhouse, then situated on the old turnpike about one
mile north of Carey's Corners; Linen schoolhouse, about two
miles north of Tompkinsville, on the road from Tompkinsville to
Clifford; barn of James Cowperthwaite, on farm now owned by
Ira Snyder, one mile north of Tompkinsville; Hemlock school-
house, about one mile northwest of Tompkinsville (all of the above
places are no longer in existence); Orvis Corners schoolhouse,
about one and one fourth miles south of Tompkinsville; and at
Coon schoolhouse, one mile east of Carey's Corners. In 1841
Rev. Benjamin Ellis began preaching at these places, and about
1844 a class was formed at the home of Leonard Spencer, on the
farm now known as the Henry Spencer farm, on the turnpike
about one and a half miles north of Carey's Corners. Tliis class
was afterward transferred to Tompkinsville. One writer claims
that this class was formed in 1829. This is improbable. The
members of this first class were Leonard Spencer, Rufus Davison,
James Cowperthwaite, George Graves, Richard Graves, James
TOMPKINSVILLE, PA. 627
Clarkson, and their wives, Polly and Susan Hutchins, Homer and
Elisha Davison, Susan Brown (afterward a Cure), James Linen,
John Miller, Albert Graves, and Samuel Hutchins.
In 1850 Homer Davison donated a site for the church. Upon
the application of George Graves, Cyril Carpenter, Richard
Graves, Rufus Davison, Francis B. Davison, John Miller, Henry
Clum, Peter Davison, Robert Broadfoot, and Silas Dann, the
court granted the society a charter on August 7, 1851, naming
Robert Davison, Albert Graves, Joseph Hutchins, Joel Dann,
Homer Davison, and Elisha Davison trustees. Meanwhile the
erection of the church had commenced. John Brizzy laid the
foundation. Benjamin Tripp and Edwin Graves hewed, framed,
and raised the frame for $225. Benjamin Tripp contributed $50,
and Edwin Graves $25, though not a member of the society. Joel
Dann, Pardon and Marvin Barber, and James Churchill finished
the interior. The building is 34x50 feet and cost about $1,000.
The church was dedicated on September 29, 1852, Rev. Nelson
Rounds preaching the dedicatory sermon.
At the time this church was built there were but three churches
between Tompkinsville and Herrick Center, a Methodist and a
Presbyterian at Dundaff and a Baptist church at Cliiiford, and this
was the only church in the townships of Scott and Greenfield.
In 1873 the building was extensively repaired at an expense of
$400. The church was reopened on January 28, 1874, Rev. S. F.
Wright preaching from Hag. ii, 9.
In 1883 the old board fence was supplanted by the present fence
of stone posts and steel chains. Sheds were erected in 1884, and
the church was reroofed in 1900.
In 1901 $1,000 was expended in general repairs — wall rebuilt,
a vestibule constructed on front of the church, a kitchen and
lecture room partitioned off the rear of the audience room,
seating rearranged, building papered and painted. On June
t, 1901, a reunion, or semicentennial service, and dedication was
held, Revs. J. F. Warner, G. A. Cure, and others being present
and participating in the services.
Rev. G. A. Cure springs from this place.
Hickory Grove is a schoolhouse at which the Clifford pastor
preached biweekly a number of years.
1838, L. S. Bennett; 1839, C. T. Stanley; 1840, George C.
Thompson; 1841, Benjamin Ellis; 1842, John Barnes; 1843,
628 Wyoming Conference
H. Pilbeam; 1844-45, H. Brownscombe; 1846-47, G. H. Blakes-
lee; 1848, Asa Brooks; 1849, C. Perkins; 1850-51, G. W. Leach;
1852-53, S. S. Barter; 1854, William Shelp, O. B. Kimble; 1855,
William Shelp; 1856-57, S. Barner; 1858, A. Brigham, H. Stan-
ley; 1859, A- Brigham; 1860-61, D. Personeus; 1862-63, William
Shelp; 1864-66, S. F. Wright; 1867, D. K. Evans; 1868-69, E.
N. Hynson; 1870-71, H. H. Dresser; 1872, R. Varcoe; 1873-75,
A. W. Barrows; 1876, G. Pritchett; 1877-79, W. H. Gavitt; 1880-
81, G. M. Peck; 1882, A. W. Loomis; 1883-85, J. G. Stephens;
1886, H. A. Blanchard; 1887-89, J. H. Boyce; 1890-92, S. Homan;
1893, F. Marshall; 1894, P. Houck; 1895-97, D. S. MacKellar;
1898-1900, A. O. Williams; 1901-02, J. N. Meaker; 1903, John
In 1831 Joseph Law and an assistant preacher were traveling
a circuit in the New York Conference which included this terri-
tory. They lived at Monticello, N. Y., and had appointments at
the schoolhouses in Milanville, Conklin Hill, Cochecton, and
Tammany Flats. The latter schoolhouse was on the banks of the
Delaware, a few miles above Cochecton, near the place where the
once famous Indian chief Tammanend, or Tammany, had his
Sometime in the forties a union church was built at Cochecton,
in which the Methodists and Presbyterians alternated in holding
services. During the years from 1833 to 1847 the following
preachers from New York Conference are known to have preached
here: Lilliman, Furgason, Smith, Webster, Wibberal, Barnes,
Ferris, and Perkins. From 1848 to 1857 this territory formed a
part of Beach Pond Circuit, and in 1858 Damascus appears
among the appointments.
The first class was organized at Milanville, with John Tyler as
In 1856 the society began to agitate a church enterprise. The
half interest in the union church was sold to the Presbyterians,
who became sole owners of the property. On August 14, 1856,
the society met at the Union Academy in Damascus, and made
application for a charter, which the court granted on December 8,
1856, naming John Jackson, Calvin Tyler, Jesse D. Bush, Moses
Tyler, Israel Tyler, Webster Sutliff, and Lancalet Drake trustees
of "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Damascus." At the
same meeting a committee of four was appointed to circulate a
subscription paper for a new church. Among the subscriptions
Damascus, Pa. 629
that were subsequently recorded paid were those of George Bush
for $150; Moses Tyler, $150; I. Tyler, $50; and on the day of
dedication Mr. Bush added $60 and Mr. Tyler $25 to their sub-
scriptions already made. The church was built on a lot 132x227
feet, purchased of Moses Tyler for $36, the deed for which was
executed October 2, 1857. The rear of the lot is used for a
cemetery. On November 25, 1857, Charles Drake deeded the
DAMASCUS CHURCH [photo]
society a lot in the rear of the above for $32 which forms a part
of the cemetery.
On Tuesday, October 27, 1857, the church which cost $1,605,
was dedicated. Rev. Jesse T. Peck, D.D., read Psa. lxxxiv, Rev.
E. W. Breckinridge offered prayer. Rev. Thomas Mack, pastor
of the Presbyterian Church, read a New Testament lesson, Rev.
Jesse T. Peck preached from Luke iii, 4-6, and at the close of his
sermon dedicated the church.
In 1874-75 $5,800 was expended in remodeling the church, of
which amount the Ladies' Aid Society contributed $800. The
church was reopened on Wednesday, February 24, 1875. In the
morning Rev. W. P. Abbott preached from Rev. xix, 6, after
630 Wyoming Conference
which Rev. D. D. Lindsley asked the audience for $5,000, which
amount was soon raised. Following this offering Rev. D. C.
Olmstead conducted the dedicatory service. Rev. D. D. Lindsley
preached in the evening from 2 Tim. iii, 16.
This church was repaired in 1898 at a cost of $500. The iron
fence was built in 1893, and was the gift of George Abraham.
On February 1, 1860, Moses Tyler deeded the society a lot
opposite the church 100x200 feet for $20. Shortly after this
George Bush deeded the society a lot adjoining the above and the
same size. The parsonage was built on this ground in 1867 at
a cost of $800. The church sheds are on this plot of ground, as
is the pastor's barn and garden.
Moses Tyler, John Jackson, and Calvin Tyler were the first
Galilee. A class was organized here in 1840 with Joseph Sut-
liff leader. The first members were P. P. Brigham, David Sut-
liff, Hiram Brigham, Joseph Sutliff, Calvin Marks, and their
wives. Preaching services became regular, Galilee being a part
of Beach Pond Circuit at the time.
After worshiping in schoolhouses thirty-six years the society
built a church. On December 15, 1875, the court granted a
charter to "The Galilee Centennial Methodist Episcopal Church,"
naming Joseph Sutliff, James Monington, Aaron Brigham, Eli
Keeler, O. R. White, Horace Marks, R. J. Kellogg, Philip Brig-
ham, and Asa Stalker, trustees. In 1876 the church, which is
30x40 feet, with eighteen-foot posts, was built. It has a base-
ment, and over the vestibule is a gallery which seats sixty people.
The auditorium seats two hundred and sixty people. The church
cost $2,250, and was built on a lot which was deeded to the
society by Joseph Sutliff and wife on September 13, 1877, for $50.
The building was dedicated on January 10, 1877, Rev. A. J. Van
Cleft preaching in the morning from Luke xxiv, 46, and Rev. L.
W. Peck in the evening from John iv, 24. After the dedicatory
service was concluded in the evening, the sacrament of the Lord's
Supper was administered. This church was repaired in 1885,
at a cost of $382.
Galilee, with Rileyville, formed a charge for a while.
Calkins is one of the appointments on Damascus charge, and the
society worships in a union church.
Milanville, Abrahamsville, and Conklin Hill are schoolhouse
appointments served by the Damascus pastor.
Dunmore, Pa. 631
1858, C. White; 1859, M. Swallow; 1860-61, D. Williams;
1862, S. Earner; 1863-64, J. L. Race; 1865, P. D. E. Clark; 1866-
68, N. S. Reynolds; 1869-71, Jonas Underwood; 1872-74, J. R.
Angell; 1875-76, R. J. Kellogg; 1877-79, M. D. Fuller; 1880-82,
A. W. Cooper; 1883-84, A. W. Loomis; 1885-87, A. C. Olver;
1888-89, F- A. Dony; 1890-91, A. Osborne; 1892-93, H. G.
Harned; 1894-95, H. E. Wheeler; 1896-97, W. L. Linnaberry;
1898-1901, I. C. Estes; 1902-03, J. H. Boyce.
Among the residents of Dunmore in 1851 were Mrs. Sabra
Jackson, Chauncey Derby and wife, Joseph Savage and wife,
Mrs. Depuy and a few other earnest Methodists, who met for
worship in a schoolhouse on North Blakely Street, situated where
No. 2 school building now stands. The class continued services
in the schoolhouse two years, when Coolbaugh's hall, on Drinker
Street, was rented, where services were held about a year. The
society grew so in numbers that it felt the necessity of building
Mr. Edward Spencer gave a lot on Chestnut Street, upon
which a comfortable building was erected. It seems to have
been a union project, as other evangelical societies used it.
After worshiping in this church about five years the society
determined to have a home of its own. Mr. Spencer gave a
lot to the society on Chestnut Street, near the union church.
A brick church 35x52 feet was built on this lot, costing $3,000,
which was dedicated on April 11, 1861, Rev. Reuben Nelson,
D.D., preaching the dedicatory sermon. The building committee
was John Butler, Stewart Dilley, and George W. Simpson. Mr.
Spencer's gift of this lot was on condition that the seats in the
church should be free. Should the society at any time determine
to rent the pews, then the church should purchase the building
lot. After a few years the free-seat system having proved a
failure, the society purchased the lot, as agreed.
Among the prominent members at that time were the following:
T. Dershimer, G. W. Simpson, Reuben Mowery, J. Butler, J.
Foster, J. Rice, C. Cottle, S. Dilley, J. Donley, E. U. Wort and
wife, J. Simpson, Sabra Jackson, E. Ellis, E. Foster, R. Donley,
M. Harper, A. Stewart, G. Rice, and L. Cottle.
On October 3, 1878, the roof of the church was blown ofif, but
the damage was speedily repaired.
632 Wyoming Conference
On March 15, 1861, the Luzerne County Court granted a char-
ter to "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Dunmore." This
charter was amended on June 2, 1884, by the Lackawanna County
In May, 1888, the present building lot on South Blakely Street
was purchased, and the house which stands beside the church was
purchased for a parsonage. The old parsonage which was built in
1871, on Apple Street, on a plot of ground donated by Mr. Spen-
cer, was sold, also the old church property, and the proceeds of
both used in the new enterprise. The new church was built with
a basement which was divided into rooms for Sunday school and
social work, and cost, including lot, about $11,000. The building
DUNMORE CHURCH [photo]
was dedicated on February 24, 1889, Rev. G. M. Colville, D.D.,
preaching the sermons morning and evening, and Rev. J. B.
Sumner conducting the dedicatory services. Twenty-seven hun-
dred dollars was needed to provide for the indebtedness. This
was raised and enough more to buy a bell and organ.
In 1895 the building was thoroughly rebuilt and enlarged. An
addition 20x30 feet built on the rear, a new entrance, new
bell, auditorium decorated, recarpeted, reseated, gallery construct-
ed, and the basement renovated were the chief changes made. The
cost of these improvements was $10,740.38. Of this amount,
$4,430.75 had been raised prior to the reopening, which occurred
on February 20, 1896, and $6,309.63 was raised on this day.
Bishop E. G. Andrews preached the sermon of this occasion.
Forest City, Pa. 633
A shrinkage in subscriptions made it necessary to make an
effort to get out of debt. Accordingly, an anniversary service
was held on Sunday, March 25, 1900. Rev. J. E. C. Sawyer,
D.D., preached in the morning, and in the evening Dr. Sawyer and
Rev. J. C. Leacock delivered addresses. It was thought that
$1,500 of dedicatory subscriptions would be paid. In addition
$3,000 was needed and raised.
In 1861 Dunmore appeared among the list of appointments.
Prior to this the Dunmore society had been supplied by the Provi-
dence pastor, he preaching at Dunmore in the afternoon.
1861-62, Luther Peck; 1863-64, C. L. Rice; 1865, J. A. Lippin-
cott, W. H. Gavitt; 1866-67, J- T. Crowell; 1868, George Peck;
1869-70, T. B. Jayne; 1871, C. A. Ward, John F. Williams; 1872-
74, G. A. Severson; 1875-76, J. La Bar; 1877-79, J- Madison;
1880, E. P. Eldridge; 1881-83, J- V. Newell; 1884-86, S. Elwell;
1887-90, WiUiam Edgar; 1891-95, J. C. Leacock; 1896-97, C.
H. Hayes; 1898-1900, A. J. Van Cleft; 1901-03, C. H. Newing.
Forest City, Pa.
In 1881, Rev. R. P. Christopher, who was supplying Uniondale,
began regular preaching services at Forest City. Services were
held in the old schoolhouse, and continued there until the society
went into the church.