532 Wyoming Conference
Castle Creek, N. Y.
The territory of this charge was taken from Broome Circuit in
1855. In 1849 the Broome Circuit comprised Kattelville, Che-
nango Forks, Barker, Castle Creek, Frenches, or South Castle
Creek (now Glenwood), and Chestnut Ridge.
We are unable to state when the first class was formed at Castle
Creek, but think it was about 1825. The class met for incorpora-
tion on August 30, 1847, Rev. T. D. Wire and Samuel Hawks
presiding. Enos Puffer, Edson Blair, Isaac Livermore, Isaac
Bowen, Lorenzo Brooks, and Samuel Hawks were elected trustees.
Soon after incorporation the society bought one half interest in
the Presbyterian church for $312. Within a year a lot was pur-
chased of William West for $100, and a parsonage built on it.
In 1867 the Methodists, wishing to rebuild, asked the few re-
maining Presbyterians to put a price on their half of the church.
They replied: "What we have given to the Lord we will not take
back. Go on and do what you like." The old church was torn
down and a new one built, which was dedicated on Wednesday,
July 15, 1868, Rev. B. I. Ives preaching in the morning from
Heb. ix, 22, and Rev. R. S. Arndt, of Hudson City, N. J., in the
evening. The building is 36x60, with a lecture room of 27 feet in
the rear, and cost $5,882, $3,575 of which was raised on the day
In 1894 the first parsonage was sold and moved of? the lot, and
a modern house erected costing $1,000.
Stone walks have recently been laid in front of both church and
parsonage. The grounds of both are nicely shaded by maple
Before using the Presbyterian church the society held prayer
services in the homes of the neighborhood, and it is claimed that
one summer a newly built pigpen was used for this purpose.
The Sunday school has been continuously at work since 1830.
While most pastors have seen accessions to the church, great
revivals were enjoyed in 1854 and in the years 1873-76.
Adams Street. Methodism began its work here in 1825. In
that year a class of five members was organized, the members
Castle Creek, N. Y. 533
living in Hyde Settlement and Adams Street. John Stoughton
was the leader of this class, and Mrs. Sarah Guernsey, Mrs. Sarah
Shaffer, Stephen Foote, and Pamelia Gaylord were members.
John Stoughton's wife was a Presbyterian, but afterward joined
the class. Fanny Beach, Sally Twiss, Maria Twiss, Asa Lyon,
and Amos Adams and wife, all of Adams Street, afterward joined
the class. Soon after the dedication of the Hyde Street church, in
1843, a great revival swept this section of the charge, in which
Lyman Lyon, Peter Knapp, Eunice Knapp, Lodica Knapp, Fanny
Stoughton, John M. Beach, Henry Beach, and Frances Beach, all
CASTLE CREEK CHURCH [photo]
of Adams Street, were converted. John Stoughton continued
leader of this class until 1864, when A. W. Beach was appointed,
who is still serving.
During several years prior to 1864 regular preaching services
were held at Hyde Street church. During the excitement of the
civil war Hyde Street failed to meet its apportionment of the
pastor's salary. One half the Sabbath preaching was conse-
quently transferred to the Adams Street schoolhouse. About 1870
the class met at the schoolhouse and became incorporated, with
Joseph P. Adams, Harvey King, Enos Page, Abel W. Beach, and
John M. Beach trustees. The site for the church was donated by
534 Wyoming Conference
Asa K. Adams in 1871. The church, costing $2,000, was dedicated
in October, 1872, at which time no collection was taken, all the
funds having been raised before. The sheds were built the follow-
ing year. The church was thoroughly repaired in 1895.
A memorable revival occurred here in 1870.
Hydeville. By reference to Adams Street, the beginnings of
Methodism here will be found. In 1842 it was decided to build a
church in the settlement which could get the most subscribed
for that purpose. The strife was sharp between Adams Street
and this point. Hyde Settlement won. A meeting was held on
February 14, 1842, in the schoolhouse at Hyde Settlement, at
which John Stoughton presided, Stephen Foote was vice presi-
dent, and Charles Gaylord secretary. The society became incor-
porated with the title of "First Methodist Episcopal Society of
Barker," and elected David Miller, Charles Gaylord, Chauncey
Hyde, Abner Dunham, and Stephen Foote trustees. A building
lot was purchased of John Hyde seven rods long and six wide.
In the winter of 1843 *he church was dedicated. In September,
1858, a strip of land six rods long and twelve feet wide was
purchased of Stephen Foote for $1.80, upon which sheds were
The dedication was followed by a gracious revival, and the years
1856, 1860, and 1873 were seasons of more than ordinary revival
Glen Castle was a part of this charge until the formation of
Chenango Bridge charge in 1893, when it became a part of that
1855-56, William Silsbee; 1857-58, A. C. Sperry; 1859-60,
William Round; 1861, G. A. Severson; 1862-63, C. E. Taylor;
1864-65, E. Sibley; 1866-67, W. B. Thomas; 1868-70, A. W.
Loomis; 1871-72, N. S. De Witt; 1873-75, C. V. Arnold; 1876-77,
T. Burgess; 1878-80, G. A. Place; 1881-83, D. Personeus; 1884-
86, W. R. Cochrane; 1887-89, T. R. Warnock; 1890, N. S. Rey-
nolds; 1891-92, C. H. Newing; 1893-94, H. G. Blair; 1895-98,
C. M. Olmstead; 1899-1900, C. D. Shepard; 1901-02, S. E. Hunt;
1903, S. L. Whiteman.
Chenango Bridge, N. Y.
Christian work began here by the organizing of a union Sunday
school. In 1850 the Sunday school came into the control of the
Methodists. Preaching was sustained by the Methodists in the
Chenango Bridge, N. Y. 535
schoolhouse where the Sunday school was held. The preaching
services were somewhat sporadic, but the Sunday school con-
tinuously worked. From 1846 to 1884 several different classes
were organized by different pastors. In 1884 a skating rink was
changed into a hall, when it became the place of Sunday school
and preaching services, and continued for ten years. On January
10, 1888, at the close of a revival, started by the Salvation Army
and continued by Rev. I. B. Wilson, of Chenango Forks, a Chris-
tian Endeavor Society was organized for the purpose of husband-
ing the fruits of the revival, in which there were forty conversions.
Twenty joined at the first meeting, and soon the society num-
bered seventy-five, having gathered active Christians, young and
old, up and down the valley. The Sunday school became a union
one again, and the preaching services were union services, em-
ploying men of various denominations to preach.
In the spring of 1893 the presiding elder of Chenango District,
after looking the field over, proposed the forming of a charge,
with Chenango Bridge as the center and Glen Castle and Ogden
as outlying appointments. The idea met with favor, and the
Conference of 1893 formed the charge. A student from Cazenovia
Seminary, W. B. Armington, was sent to the charge, but soon
found the work too heavy and resigned, when F. D. Walter, a
student in Syracuse University, was appointed in June. On
March 10, 1894, the society became incorporated with Newton F.
Everett, Fred G. Miles, Eugene Macomber, Fred M. Harding,
Elias Beckwith, and Jewell Hall as trustees. The society pur-
chased the hall of Mr. E. M. Harding, and a strip of land, sixteen
feet wide adjoining, of Mr. Jerrell Hall. The hall was remodeled
into the present commodious church, the enterprise costing $2,600.
The church was dedicated on November 2, 1894, Rev. J. R. Day,
D.D., preaching at 10:30 from John ix, 25, and Dr. Taylor, of
Binghamton, at 2 p. m. Four hundred dollars was raised on
this day to liquidate the indebtedness.
The parsonage was bought in 1901. It is valued at $800, and
is beside the church at Chenango Bridge.
During the years 1895-98 Glen Castle was not with this charge,
being with Castle Creek, but Port Crane was taken on for two
In the holiday season of 1893-94 a gracious revival resulted in
the conversion of fifty persons.
The Ladies' Aid Society furnished the carpet and lamps for
the audience room, and gave liberally toward the erection of the
536 Wyoming Conference
Ogden is two miles south of Chenango Bridge. Prior to be-
coming a part of Chenango Bridge charge it was supplied with
preaching from Chenango Street church, and prior to going into
the church the schoolhouse was used for services.
The site for the church is a gift from Mr. J. D. Ogden. The
church was dedicated on December 30, 1897. The presiding elder,
Rev. H. C. McDermott, preached in the morning from Matt, v, 13,
and Rev. M. S. Hard, D.D., preached in the afternoon from Isa.
xxxv, 8-10. The building is a gem, the audience and lecture
room seating one hundred and sixty. The basement contains a
prayer room, kitchen, and furnace room. The windows are
memorial windows. The building cost $2,600, $428 of which
was raised on day of dedication.
Glen Castle. The first church at this place was built in 1833,
upon land donated by Tyrus Page, and was the first church
erected between Binghamton and Whitney's Point. It was
located about one mile and a quarter north of the present
structure, on the road leading from Glen Castle to Castle Creek.
In its erection people gave materials, labor, and cash. The society
became incorporated on October 18, 1832, at a meeting over
which Rev. Silvius Stocking and Dennis Hall presided, and Orin
Seward, Dennis Hall, Seth Seward, Tyrus Page, and John Lisk
were elected trustees. The corporate name of the society is "The
Methodist Episcopal Society in the Town of Chenango." In 1850
this building was torn down and removed to the present site, at a
cost of $350, the site being donated by Thomas French. No
services had been held at this place during the nine months prior
to the spring of 1888. By direction of the Quarterly Conference
work was resumed here in 1888. The old church was not worth
repairing, and was sold and moved away. The present church
cost, with its furnishings, about $2,000, $300 of which was
raised on the day of dedication. The Ladies' Aid Society pur-
chased the carpet, cushions, and pulpit furniture. Besides con-
tributing largely in cash, I. H. Page, Horace Treadwell, A. H.
Place, and Joseph Hitchcock gave nearly their entire summer's
work to the building of the church without remuneration. The
church was dedicated on Thursday, October 2, 1889, Rev. J. C.
Leacock preaching at 2 p. m., and Rev. A. J. Van Cleft in the
Glen Castle formed a part of the Castle Creek charge for
many years, until the formation of the Chenango Bridge
charge in 1893.
Chenango Forks, N. Y. 537
1893-94, W. B. Armington, F. D. Walter; 1895-98, W. A.
Wagner; 1899, F. N. Smith; 1900-02, L. D. Palmer; 1903, A. O.
Chenango Forks, N. Y.
Chenango Forks is located in three towns, Barker, Chenango,
and Greene, and is at the forks of the Chenango and Tioughnioga
Rivers. Nothing is known about the beginnings of Methodism
here, but a class existed here in 1833. We have the record of an
incorporation which took place on March 20, 1854. Nicholas
Lewis and George A. Tuttle acted as judges at the meeting, and
Nicholas Lewis, William Jackson, and George A. Tuttle were
elected trustees. The society took the corporate name of "The
First Methodist Episcopal Church at Chenango Forks." Nothing
appears as the result of this incorporation. On February 17,
1863, a meeting was held in the schoolhouse, at which Nicholas
Lewis presided and Samuel Lee was clerk.' Stephen Palmer,
Parlay Blair, Erastus T. Wilson, Hiram King, and Samuel Lee
were elected trustees. At a meeting held on February 28, 1863,
at which Rev. W. P. Abbott presided and Samuel Lee was clerk,
the society resolved to purchase a site and build a house of wor-
ship. The church will seat two hundred and fifty people, and was
erected in 1863, at a cost of $2,500. The church was thoroughly
repaired in 1880.
The parsonage was purchased in 1890 at a cost of $500.
Kattelville gets its name from a family of early settlers. The
society was formed at an early date. It was incorporated on
November 27, 1849, with William Hall, Lewis Lewis, and
William A. Lee as trustees. At the meeting for incorporation
Elias Kattel, Martin Palmer, Lonson Post, George D. Robertson,
and Samuel Lee were appointed a committee to secure a site for
a church. The building was erected in 1850, at a cost of $1,500,
and was dedicated on January 16, 1851, by the presiding elder,
Rev. Fitch Reed. The society was again incorporated on June
21, 1859, with Calvin Shepard, Lewis Lewis, and Cornelius Teal
as trustees, taking the corporate name of "Kattelville First Meth-
odist Episcopal Church."
This territory was with Broome Circuit until 1866, when the
Chenango charge was formed, and its name was changed to
Chenango Forks in 1873. However, from 1855-57 Chenango
538 Wyoming Conference
Forks appears in the Minutes — 1855-56, Z. Paddock; 1857, J. M.
1866, P. S. Worden; 1867, S. Elwell; 1868, Z. Paddock; 1869,
E. W. Breckinridge; 1870-71, E. Puffer; 1872-73, C. E. Taylor;
1874, J. D. Woodruff; 1875-77, G. A. Place; 1878-79, D. Per-
soneus; 1880, H. R. Clarke; 1881-82, A. C. Sperry; 1883-84,
F. A. Dony; 1885, M. A. Dunham; 1886-87, I. B. Wilson; 1888-
89, S. Homan; 1890-94, L. Jennison; 1895, F. J. Jones; 1896,
J. W. Davis; 1897, L. D. Palmer; 1898, J. F. Jones; 1899, S. H.
Wood; 1900-02, E. N. Sabin; 1903, W. L. Linnaberry.
Choconut Center, N. Y.
For some years this charge bore the name of Broome, the name
being changed to Choconut Center in 1883. This territory was in
the Broome Circuit in early days, however. Choconut Center
was with the Vestal Circuit a few years, from 1845 to 1852, and
perhaps longer. In those days the society worshiped in the old
Baptist church. A meeting for incorporation was held in the
schoolhouse on November 18, 1852, and Enoch Barnum, Joshua
Rozelle, and Roger W. Hinds were elected trustees. The cor-
porate name of the society is "The First Methodist Episcopal
Church and Society of Choconut Creek, in the Town of Union."
The church was built in 1855-56, and dedicated on February 13,
1856, at 10:30 A. M., Dr. George Peck officiating. After thorough
repairing it was reopened on Sunday, August 12, 1877, at 2 p. m.
The parsonage was built in the winter and spring of 1869.
Abbott Church is four miles northwest of Choconut Center,
and is in the town of Maine, on Dimmick Hill. For many years
it was on Broome Circuit. In 1868 the class had forty members.
The church was built in 1868, at a cost of $2,200, and was dedi-
cated on January 7, 1869, by Rev. D. W. Bristol. On the day of
dedication $1,100 was raised. It is called the Abbott Church be-
cause Rev. William Penn Abbott did his first work as a preacher
on that charge.
We will begin with 1858. For pastorates prior to this see
Broome Circuit. 1858, William Silsbee; 1859-60, S. E. WaK
worth; 1861, L. Pitts; 1862-63, W. P. Abbott; 1864, P. S.
Worden, F. L. Hiller; 1865, P. S. Worden; 1866-67, G. W.
Leach; 1868, Semi W. Lindsley; 1869-70, L. Pitts; 1871-72, E.
Sibley; 1873, S. W. Spencer; 1874, S. F. Ketcham; 1875-76, A.
Brigham; 1877-78, Cornelius Sweet; 1879-81, W. B. Thomas;
Coventry, N. Y. 539
1882-83, B. B. Carruth; 1884-85, A. F. Harding; 1886-87, C. W.
Babcock; 1888-89, M. D. Matoon; 1890, George Pope; 1891-95,
Charles Smith; 1896, M. L. Andariese; 1897-99, E. P. Eldridge;
1900-01, S. H. Flory; 1902-03, C. H. Seward.
Coventry, N. Y.
Methodism began in this section at an early date. A meeting
was held on April 20, 1819, in the schoolhouse in district No. 6,
at which William Burdge and Joseph B. Young presided. Philo
Clemmons, Ransom Adkins, Samuel I. Thomas, Whiting Cornish,
and William M. Thomas were elected trustees. The corporate
name of this society was "The First Methodist Episcopal Society
in Coventry, called Union."
"The West Coventry Society of the Methodist Episcopal
Church" was formed in 1829, and seems to have been a reorgani-
zation of the above society, as it was organized at the same place
and with about the same officials.
In 1829 Oliver Badger and wife sold a lot to the society for
$5 and a church was built upon it. This was about three miles
south of Coventry, and was used by the society a good many
years. It has since been taken down.
On March 4, 1853, "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of
Coventry" was incorporated, with Daniel Nivens, William H.
Beardsley, Daniel Hayes, H. S. Beardsley, and Hiram P. Chase
as trustees. On March 14, 1853, the present church lot was sold
to the society by Luman Miles and wife Nancy for $1. The
church was dedicated on Wednesday, January 4, 1854, at 11
A. M. The building was repaired in 1888, and again in 1895. A
strip of land twenty feet wide was bought of Luman Miles in
July, 1862, for $30.
The parsonage was bought of John W. Tread way and wife
Rosetta on March 21, 1864, for $500. In 1895 it was thoroughly
On May 8, 1890, Mr. Horace S. Beardsley gave the society his
farm, valued at about $2,500, as an endowment, the interest of
which is to be used for church work. The farm has since been
sold by the society.
1849-50, E. D. Thurston; 1851, L. D. Brigham; 1852, H. Gee;
1853, supply; 1854, W. Peck; 1855-56, M. S. Wells; 1857,
Elnathan Orwin; 1858, S. G. Greene; 1859-60, T. M. Williams;
1861-63, supply; 1864-65, L. Bowdish; 1866-67, Homer R.
540 Wyoming Conference
Northrup; 1868-70, D. Bullock; 1871-72, David Davies; 1873,
G. E. Hathaway; 1874-75, T. C. Roskelly; 1876-77, L. A. Wild;
1878-79, W. Burnside; 1880, A. E. Loomis; 1881-82, S. Stephens;
1883-84, J. L. Wells; 1885-87, S. H. Wood; 1888-92, A. E.
Thurston; 1893-94, L. D. Palmer; 1895-96, D. L. Meeker; 1897,
J. J. Henry; 1898-1900, W. H. Horton; 1901-03, D. W. Swetland.
Edmeston, N. Y.
The Methodist society in Edmeston is the oldest church in the
place, having been organized as early as 1838. When the village
consisted of only a few houses on the hill the society was formed,
and, having no church, worshiped in the schoolhouse. The old
stewards' book shows that over fifty years ago Edmeston Circuit
included King's Settlement, Edmeston, South New BerHn, Gar-
rattsville, and New Berlin, and in later years Pittsfield, Gross
Hill, and Brick Schoolhouse formed a part of the charge. The
charge was formed in 1845, in which year the church was built
on the hill near the horse sheds. The land was given to the society
by Sidney W. Hopkins, who deeded it on December 7, 1844, to
the following trustees: Stephen Colegrove, Nathaniel Coonrod,
William B. Adams, Peter Parker, and B. Mitchell. In the sum-
mer before the church was finished a quarterly meeting was held
in the building. The building is 34x36 feet, and cost $1,200.
Seven hundred dollars had been raised prior to dedication, and
$215 was raised on that day. The church was dedicated on
October 1, 1845. Rev. L. A. Eddy preached in the morning, from
Psa. cxviii, 25, and Rev. W. N. Pearne in the evening, from Psa.
cxxxiii. In January and February, 1846, a revival resulted in
the conversion of seventy persons.
The first trustees were Edwin Wheeler, Nathaniel Wheeler,
Stephen Colgrove, Nathan Colgrove, and William Adams.
In 1871 the church was repaired at a cost of $1,000, and was
reopened on Wednesday, December 13, 1871, Rev. Henry
Wheeler preaching in the morning and Rev. W. N. Cobb in the
evening. In 1884-85 the church was again renovated. It was
moved from its old site to a lot on Main Street, beside the
parsonage, twelve feet added to the front, with bell tower and
spire, new windows, new walls tastefully papered, new pews and
cushions, new carpets, stoves, and lamps — the whole costing
$2,300. All of this amount had been raised prior to the dedica-
tion except $500, which was then raised. The church was dedi-
cated on March 26, 1885, Rev. O. H. McAnulty preaching in the
Edmeston, N. Y. S41
morning and Rev. W. L. Thorpe in the evening. The church was
repapered in 1899, and in 1901 the building was painted and an
acetylene gas machine installed at a cost of $225. Mrs. H. E.
Cobb gave the church its pulpit Bible in 1871.
A parsonage property was bought of Elisha Butler and wife
Sally, on May 1, 1860, for $600. Jerred Smith, A. W. Suther-
land, Savory Wing, James Bean, and Edwin Wheeler being the
trustees at the time. This property was sold in 1893 to Eri
Chase, and a new parsonage built costing $1,200.
This church has given the following preachers to the ministry:
Vincent Talbot, Joseph Southworth, Andrew Colgrove, Delos
Cronk, and Henry Wheeler. Miss Marietta Manchester went
from this church as a missionary to China, and was killed in 1900
by the Boxers.
West Burlington. In 1898 Burlington Flats, which had been
with Edmeston a number of years, was set off. Whereupon Mr.
Caleb Clark bought the old Baptist church at West Burlington
for $300, and presented it to the Methodists in 1899. It is three
miles north of Edmeston. In 1900 Mr. Clark built some sheds
for the society at an expense of $75, and in 1901 the church was
painted at a cost of $50. Charles Bennington and wife gave the
church its pulpit Bible in 1900. The society became incorporated
as "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of West Burlington,
N. Y.," on March 23, 1903, with Charles Bennington, Caleb
Clark, J. P. Austin, A. D. Hood, William Lines, and L. K. Angel
1845, R- Cook; 1846-47, D. T. Elliott; 1848-50, _____; 1851,
with Exeter; 1852, W. Burnside; 1853, S. S. Weber; 1854, B. B.
Carruth; 1855-56, O. Ellerson; 1857, A. S. Southworth; 1858-59,
W. Burnside; 1860-61, J. Davis; 1862-63, J. W. Mevis; 1864,
J. W. Rawlingson; 1865-66, S. H. Hill; 1867-68, William R.
Lynch; 1869-71, W. M. Hiller; 1872-73, A. S. Clark; 1874-75,
H. H. Dresser; 1876, S. Homan; 1877-78, H. B. Cook; 1879-81,
J. H. Boyce; 1882, J. B. Santee; 1883, Cornelius Sweet; 1884-85,
C. W. Babcock; 1886-87, A. F. Harding; 1888-90, S. H. Wood;
1891-93, Thomas Eva; 1894-95, F. D. Hartsock; 1896-99, R. W.
Lowry; 1900-02, J. W. Davis; 1903, A. R. Burke.
Garrattsville, N. Y.
The beginnings of Methodism here are unknown. It is claimed
that the first class was formed in 1839 by Rev. M. French. If so,
542 Wyoming Conference
this section was with Exeter at that time. Subsequently it became
a part of Edmeston Circuit, and as early as 1845, where it con-
tinued until it became a Conference appointment in 1874. Among
the first members were Daniel Harrington, C. Gross, J. Gross, A.
Gross, and Lyman Briggs. The first officers of the society were
H. House, B. D. Whitford, D. Harrington, C. Gross, J. R. Wing,
S. Wing, and J. Gross. On April 1, 1840, D. M. Hard and Joseph
Peck deeded the society two acres of land for $150. The trustees
at this time were Horace House, Jabez Gross, Croswell Gross,
Stephen Wing, Berthier D. Whitford, Daniel Harrington, and
Joseph Wing. On October 18, 1849, the society sold a part of
this lot to the town for school purposes, for $25.
The church was built in 1840, at a cost of $1,050. The dedica-
tory services were held on January 5, 1841, and were conducted
by Rev. N. Rounds, the presiding elder. In 1869, at an expense
of $2,160, the building was renovated, inside and outside — new
windows, blinds, steeple, bell, pews, etc. It was rededicated on
January 5, 1870. Rev. B. I. Ives preached in the morning, from
"Ye are the light of the world," and Rev. S. P. Gray, of Weeds-
port, preached in the evening, from "He that winneth souls is
wise." The dedicatory service was conducted by Rev. W. N.
Cobb. During the day $2,510 was raised.
The parsonage was built in 1875, at a cost of $1,200.
The society became incorporated as "The Methodist Episcopal
Church of Garrattsville, N. Y.," on February 25, 1890, with Ed-
ward A. Hoag, Albert H. Lewis, James R. Stanhouse, Charles
Coats, and Robert Bennington trustees. Robert Bennington was
a class leader here over thirty years. E. S. Hoag was trustee,
class leader, and recording steward many years.
The Brick is a schoolhouse two miles northeast of Garrattsville.
Services have been held here by the Garrattsville preachers for
some years, and a Sunday school is well sustained. Robert Free-
man was an efficient steward and leader here many years. Chloe
Aylsworth has been a lifelong member, and has successfully filled
the positions of steward and Sunday school superintendent.
1874-75, A. G. Bartholomew; 1876-77, H. A. Blanchard; 1878-
80, B. P. Ripley; 1881-82, J. D. Belknap; 1883-84, J. H. Tavlor;
1885-87, E. H. Truesdell; 1888-89, A. S. Holland; 1890-92, M. D.
Matoon; 1893, A. E. Thurston; 1894-96, J. J. Henry; 1897-98,
D. B. Wilson; 1899-1902, B. N. Butts; 1903, J. H. Watrous.
Gilbertsville, N. Y. 543
GILBERTSVILLE, N. Y.
Methodism early took root in this place, though the exact date
is unknown. As early as 1815 a class existed on Gregory Hill,
about two and a half miles from the village of Gilbertsville, with
a Mr. Wild as leader. In 1831 a camp meeting was held in
Norton's Grove, a little over two miles from the village. Gilberts-
ville class was formed on March 24, 1831, by Rev. William Bow-
dish, one of the preachers on Chenango Circuit. Among the first
members were Walter Bedient and wife, Joseph Cunningham and
wife, Nancy Kinne, James Gadsby and wife, James Bedient, Caleb
Chapin, and Fisk Burlingame. At this time services were held
in the schoolhouse and in the shop of Joseph Cunningham. The
first trustees were Walter Bedient, Joseph Cunningham, Francis
Walker, Cyrenus Woodworth, William Tucker, Humphrey Hollis,
and Fisk Burlingame. At a meeting held on March 14, 1836, at
which Rev. A. E. Daniels and Humphrey Hollis presided, the
society became incorporated as "The Wesleyan Chapel of the
Methodist Episcopal Church in Butternuts," and Solon P. Hubbel,
Caleb S. Chapin, James Gadsby, Ruel Chapin, Billy Shaw, Hiram
Hubbel, and Samuel C. Smith were elected trustees.
On November 28, 1831, Mr. Thomas Strongtham presented to
the society the site upon which the church stands. A subscription
for the building of the church was circulated by Joseph Cunning-
ham. Soon after this the Quarterly Conference appointed Walter
Bedient, Cyrenus Woodworth, and Joseph Cunningham a com-
mittee to further the project and aid in getting- subscriptions. On
July 4, 1832, the frame was raised, and on December 29 following
the church, which was 40x50 feet and called "Wesleyan Chapel,"
was dedicated. Rev. Andrew Peck preaching from Isa. ii, 3. In
1862 the church was rebuilt, twelve feet being added to its length
and a steeple built. The society became incorporated on March
The Sabbath school was organized on May 5, 1833, and has
been active ever since.
On April 1, 1838, a Female Missionary Society was formed,
auxiliary to the parent society.
This place was on the Chenango Circuit until it became an
appointment in 1848. It went under the name of Gilbertsville
until 1851, when the name was changed to Butternuts, which
name it retained until 1877, when the name of Gilbertsville was
On August 25, 1856, in consideration of $800, Elihu B. Cor-
544 Wyoming Conference
nell and wife Philome deeded the society a property containing
one half acre, which was used as a parsonage until 1898, when it
was exchanged for the present property, at a cost of $1,000.
In the early winter of 1857 a most remarkable revival was held
in this church, continuing eleven weeks, in which between two
and three hundred were converted. A deep solemnity rested on
the community. Business was almost suspended. A writer de-
scribing it says: "I think I never saw deeper feeling on the part
of both saints and sinners, deeper conviction of sin, and more in-
tense earnestness in seeking religion than during these meetings."
A watch-night service was held, and the Lord's Supper observed,
in which all of the different denominations joined.
1848-49, Lewis Anderson; 1850-51, Justus Soule; 1852, J. M.
Searles; 1853-54, J. H. Hall; 1855-56, D. C. Dutcher; 1857-58, B.
Shove; 1859-60, C. T. Moss; 1861-62, M. S. Wells; 1863-65, G. S.
White; 1866, William Watson; 1867-69, S. Moore; 1870-71,
A. M. Colgrove; 1872-73, W. M. Hiller; 1874, William Burnside;
1875-76, J. W. Mevis; 1877-78, B. B. Carruth; 1879-81, J. D.
Bloodgood; 1882-83, William Bixby; 1884, T. F. Hall; 1885,
Isaac B. Wilson; 1886-87, C. V. Arnold; 1888-90, G. H. Prentice;
1891-92, S. H. Wood; 1893-94, J. M. Correll; 1895-96, L. D.
Palmer; 1897-99, R- L. Clark; 1900, I. N. Steelman, M. H. Reed;
1901-02, M. H. Reed; 1903, E. E. Pearce.
Greene, N. Y.
Methodism is said to have begun its work in the town of
Greene by holding meetings in the house of Benjamin Townsend,
about four miles below the village, where a class was formed in
1814. In 1817 the place of holding meetings was changed to the
house of Abel Norton, two miles below the village, near the
Genegantslet bridge. The present society in Greene is the out-
growth of these classes. The society grew, evidently. On July
7, 1827, a subscription paper was started reading as follows:
"Whereas, the Methodist Episcopal Society in the town of Greene
and its vicinity propose to erect a meetinghouse or church in the
village of Greene, therefore we whose names are hereunto sub-
scribed agree to pay to the trustees of said society the several
sums by us subscribed, one half of which shall be payable when
the house is raised and inclosed, and the remaining half when it
shall be completed and painted. The house to be the usual size
Greene, N. Y. 545
for a country church, with a suitable tower, or steeple." Many
of the subscriptions were to be paid in work, stone, lumber, grain,
and stock. On September 25, 1827, the society met at the house
of Benjamin Jackson for the purpose of incorporating. Lamard
Livermore presided, and Horatio N. Gere acted as secretary.
Benjamin Jackson, Horatio N. Gere, Benjamin Harrington,
Reuben Chase, and Isaac Grant, M.D., were elected trustees. The
corporate name of the society is "The First Methodist Episcopal
Church in the Town of Greene." The board of trustees met on
GREENE CHURCH [photo]
October 3, 1827, and appointed Benjamin Jackson and Anthony
Squires a building committee. The church was built in 1828, and
was the first church erected in the town. When the Baptists were
seeking for a place to hold services they were granted the use of
this church a part of the time until they could build a church for
themselves. This building was twice repaired, the last time in
1873, when it was reopened on Thursday, July 17, Rev. William
Reddy preaching in the morning and Rev. J. G. Eckman in the
evening. In process of time this building became somewhat
dilapidated, and it was replaced by the present inviting building
546 Wyoming Conference
in 1891-92, at a cost of $4,200. Twenty-six hundred dollars had
been raised during the process of construction, and $1,100 was
raised on the day of dedication, leaving an indebtedness of $500.
The church was dedicated on Thursday, April 14, 1892, with
sermons by Revs. E. B. Olmstead and L. M. Vernon, D.D. The
Ladies' Aid Society gave excellent assistance in the enterprise.
We are at a loss to explain the following, unless it be on the
supposition that the society built its church and after many years
bought the ground it stood on: on June 29, 1850, Simeon
GREENE PARSONAGE [photo]
Auchus and wife Mary sold a lot to the church for a site for the
church for $40.
In 1834 Greene was a circuit with the following appointments:
Greene, McDonough, Triangle, Connecticut Hill, and Whitney's
Point. In 1838 it included Greene, Chenango Forks, Whitney's
Point, East Greene, Smithville Flats, Smithville Center, East
Smithville, McDonough, and other points. At this time the
village had about sixty houses, with Congregational, Baptist,
Episcopalian, and Methodist churches.
On February 27, 1897, a strip on the rear of the church lot
16x50 feet was purchased of Hannah Lawton.
On April 1, 1856, the society purchased a house and lot on Elm
Street of Abram D. Storm and wife Harriet for $625. This was
used as a parsonage until about 1879, when it was sold for $800;
and the interest used toward paying rent for a house for the
Guilford, N. Y. 547
preacher's family. On October 28, 1880, a lot for a parsonage
on the corner of Van Buren and Genesee Streets was purchased
of Laura Willard, Anna W. Connelly, John Willard and wife
Lenore for $400. A house was erected at a cost of $1,400. This
property was sold in 1894, and on April 1, 1895, the present par-
sonage beside the church was bought of Christina M. Webb and
Augusta Hollenbeck for $2,000.
1831, Daniel Torry; 1832, James Atwell, N. Rounds; 1833,
W. N. Pearne, P. R. Kinne; 1834, W. N. Pearne; 1835, T. D.
Wire, H. F. Stanton; 1836, R. Ingalls, L. H. Stanley; 1837, E. L.
North, Charles Burlingame; 1838, E. L. North, A. Brown; 1839,
A. G. Burlingame, P. S. Worden; 1840, C. Burlingame, L. Pitts;
1841-42, C. W. Giddings; 1843, E. G. Bush, J. Whitham; 1844,
E. G. Bush; 1845, F. H. Stanton; 1846-47, D. Simons; 1848,
Peter Compton; 1849-50, G. P. Porter; 1851-52, A. G. Burlin-
game; 1853-54, Hiram Gee; 1855-56, E. D. Thurston; 1857-58,
D. C. Dutcher; 1859-60, B. Shove; 1861-62, G. S. White; 1863-64,
M. S. Wells; 1865-67, I. B. Hyde; 1868-70, WilHam Burnside;
1871-72, A. F. Brown; 1873, C. O. Hanmer; 1874-76, W. H.
Gavitt; 1877, E. P. Eldridge; 1878-80, H. N. Van Deusen; 1881-
83, G. A. Place; 1884, W. B. Kinney; 1885-87, E. R. D. Briggs;
1888, A. D. Alexander; 1889, Levi Jennison; 1890, C. H. Newing;
1891-92, H. G. Blair; 1893-96, L. B. Weeks; 1897, Thomas
Harroun; 1898-1901, W. H. Alger; 1902-03, F. H. Parsons.
Guilford, N. Y.
In the early part of the nineteenth century the Guilford part of
the Chenango Circuit was called "Eastern." It is believed that
Rev. David Dunham, at that time on Chenango Circuit, preached
in this section. Some early records reveal the fact that "East-
wood," afterward known as old Union, on Mount Upton charge,
paid seventy-five cents quarterage, and "Eastern" sixty-six cents,
in June, 1803 — evidence that they were already in existence, and
recognized as classes on the circuit.
Preaching services at this time were held at the house of
Samuel Stedman, a class leader living about two miles north of
East Guilford, at or near the place later known as the Alson
Mills farm. Moses Clark and wife, with two or three other
women, constituted the class. In 1806 this class is credited with
paying $3.30, and again $3.69, quarterage. In 1810-11 several
548 Wyoming Conference
women were converted and united with the society, Sarah, Ruth,
and Alma Harris being among them. The society was then called
the "Woman's Class."
Samuel Stedman, the first class leader, leaving the Eastern
section, Israel Chamberlain, though living six miles distant,
became the leader.
One evening in 1803 or 1804 either Ebenezer White or Alexan-
der Morton preached in a schoolhouse located near the Ives
GUILFORD CHURCH [photo]
Settlement cemetery. Two trustees, named Johnson and Ives,
forbade a renewal of the appointment. An old resident of this
section gives as a reason, "The Methodist preachers were con-
sidered awful creatures." One man, hearing the preacher at this
time, pitied him, and would have invited him to his home had he
not feared the animosity of the principal men.
The place of meeting was changed from Stedman's to David
Clark's home, now known as the Charles Foote place. A revival
broke out, the Ives, Bush, and Trask families being reached by it,
and soon the people of Ives Settlement worshiped in the school-
house from which the first preacher had been excluded. Services
Guilford, N. Y. 549
were held in a schoolhouse about a mile east, near Simon Trask's
home, and subsequently in the new stone school building in Ives
Settlement, from whence the services were taken to Guilford
In 1815 the society contemplated the building of a church. The
Quarterly Conference "Resolved, That a meetinghouse is neces-
sary for this part of the circuit, and that it be set in the town of
Eastern." A meeting was held at the house of David Clark, on
May 15, 1816, for the purpose of incorporating. Ralph Lanning
and Simon Trask presided. Joel Root, Abial Bush, Abner Wood,
Azor Burlison, David Clark, and Sheldon Marsh were elected
trustees, and the society was to be known as "The First Methodist
Episcopal Church in the Town of Eastern." Nothing seems to
have come from this project. Prior to 1820 Azor Burlison had
an appointment for preaching at his house two miles east of
Guilford Center, and continued it for at least five years.
At a Quarterly Conference held on January 6, 1838, a com-
mittee, consisting of Rev. George Harmon, Samuel Trask, Ozias
Bush, and Almon Trask, was appointed to plan for building a
church at Guilford Center. There arose a question concerning the
location. The larger number of members lived in and around
Guilford Center; but Fayette (now Guilford village) was a more
enterprising and growing place — was already the principal busi-
ness center for the whole town. There was no church in Fayette
except the Episcopalian, and at the Center the Congregationalists
had a church. Sentiment was divided. A disinterested commit-
tee from outside was invited to investigate and decide upon a site.
The result of all this was two churches, a mile and a half apart,
one at Guilford Center and one at Fayette, and both built
There are two records of incorporation which are supposed to
be of the Guilford Center church. On April 3, 1829, at a meeting
over which George Harmon and Amos Mansfield presided, "The
First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the Town of
Guilford" was incorporated, and Paul Winton, James Bayley, and
Thomas Rickman were elected trustees. No work having been
done under the above incorporation, it was probably considered
worthless. On September 17, 1839, a meeting was held in the
academy at Guilford Center, over which Almon Trask and S. I.
Trask presided, when "The Second Society of the Methodist
Episcopal Church of Guilford" was incorporated, and Azor Bur-
lison, Almon Trask, John Evans, Jesse Hendrick, and Albert
Cornwell were elected trustees. A lot was leased of William
550 Wyoming Conference
Baldwin upon which the church was built. On March 4, 1840,
Mr. Baldwin gave the society the lot by deed, consideration $1.
In 1884 this building was renovated and improved at a cost of
$1,200. This church was sold in 1900, and preaching services
The church at Guilford was built on ground leased of Sidney
Eggleston. The society purchased it of Mr. Eggleston on July
11, 1840, for $40. This building had been repaired but slightly
until 1874, when it was rebuilt. The building was raised and a
basement built and fitted up for Sunday school and social work,
an addition 10x16 feet built on the rear for the choir, and a tower
and steeple 120 feet high erected. Eight thousand dollars was
spent in these changes, $3,000 of which was raised on the day of
dedication, which was January 12, 1875, Rev. B. I. Ives preach-
ing both morning and evening. This society was incorporated
at a meeting held in the church on December 6, 1841. Albert
Cornwell and Stephen B. Stead were judges of election, and
Stephen B. Stead, Ozias Bush, Albert Cornwell, Tori Yale, Abel
Cornwell, Cyrus Cumstock, Roswell R. Bush, and John Denison
were elected trustees.
A parsonage was purchased in 1854. In 1864 the present par-
sonage was built. In 1900 $1,500 was spent in improving the
parsonage and beautifying the church.
Israel Chamberlain, Wyatt, his brother, James P. Aylesworth,
William Adams, Ashahel Eggleston, W. Peck, and Sidney E.
Hunt have been sent into the ministry from this charge; and
Revs. J. S. Mitchell, Philip Bartlett, F. D. Higgins, and B. B.
Carruth found faithful helpmeets on this territory.
There was preaching at Root's Corners as early as 1808, but
this society was short-lived.
While most of the pastors have seen accessions to the church
by revival work, the years 1819, 1830-31, 1842-43 (three hundred
conversions), 1854-55, and 1895 were notable in revival work.
The first quarterly meeting and camp meeting, combined, held
in Guilford was at David Clark's (at the Trestle), commencing
on June 16, 1814, when Methodists gathered from Plainfield,
Brookfield, Columbus, Sherburne, Plymouth, New Berlin, Bain-
bridge, Oxford, Unadilla, and elsewhere. A second and memor-
able camp meeting was held near the residence of Abial Bush,
commencing on June 8, 1819.
The territory of this charge was a part of Chenango Circuit
until 1849, when the circuit ceased to exist by the creation of
several charges, among them Guilford charge.
Lisle, N. Y. 551
Rockdale is situated about five miles east of Guilford. As
early as 1831 a society was formed here which struggled for many
years. It was reorganized on October 29, 1859, and has since
held regular services. In 1860 a union church was built costing
$1,200. The society uses this building for its church work. For
many years it was with Sidney, and for some time alone. When
Guilford Center work was abandoned Rockdale was added to
1849-50, P. G. White; 1851, F. D. Higgins; 1852-53, C. Starr;
1854-55, W. Jerome; 1856-57, L. G. Weaver; 1858, W. Souther-
land; 1859-60, E. D. Thurston; 1861-62, A. S. Southworth; 1863-
65, W. G. Queal; 1866-67, William Burnside; 1868-70, L. Sperry;
1871-72, I. B. Hyde; 1873, D. R. Carrier; 1874-75, E. W. Cas-
well; 1876, T. P. Halstead; 1877-78, A. M. Colegrove; 1879-81,
E. L. Bennett; 1882-83, P- R- Tower; 1884-86, H. H. Wilbur;
1887-88, Levi Jennison; 1889-92, W. Frisby; 1893-96, M. S.
Godshall; 1897-98, H. A. Williams; 1899-1902, C. M. Olmstead;
1903, C. C. Vrooman.
Lisle, N. Y.
Methodism began its work in Lisle in 1814. Rev. C. E. Taylor
says that in this year the class was formed, and was probably
cared for by the preachers on Broome Circuit. A meeting was
held in Lisle on June 18, 1828, at which Rev. Philo Barbary and
David Fairchild presided, and David Smith, David Fairchild,
John Beach, Thomas Whitney, and Allen Randall were elected
trustees. We cannot understand this, as Philo Barbary was one
of the Binghamton pastors at this time. On January 7, 1833, a
meeting was held in the schoolhouse at Lisle, at which Charles C.
Baker and Pelatiah B. Brooks presided. Benjamin Rowland,
Daniel J. Davidson, Alvah Bennett, Pelatiah B. Brooks, and
Charles C. Baker were elected trustees, and the society took the
corporate name of "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of
Lisle." Pelatiah B. Brooks was the class leader for years. The
church was erected in 1857, at a cost of $2,000, and was dedicated
on January 20, 1858, Rev. William Wyatt being the preacher of
The parsonage is situated at Lisle.
Center Lisle, sometimes called Yorkshire, is four miles west of
Lisle. Its church is 30x50, and cost $4,500. It was dedicated on
January 14, 1870. Rev. B. I. Ives preached in the morning and
did the soliciting during the day. Rev. Dr. Bristol preached in
552 Wyoming Conference
the evening. Twenty-seven hundred dollars was unprovided for,
and the congregation when asked for this amount subscribed
$3,100. In 1887 $500 was spent in improvements — new roof,
carpets, seating rearranged, a prayer room built over the hall, and
the building painted. The church was reopened on Tuesday,
October 25, 1887. At 2 p. m. Rev. J. C. Leacock preached from
Eph. ii, 21, 22, and in the evening Rev. C. A. Benjamin preached
from Eph. v, 27.
1838-39, Charles Burlingame; 1840, H. Benjamin; 1841, T. D.
Wire; 1842, T. D. Wire, Joseph Whitham; 1843, L. Pitts; 1844,
L. Pitts, J. M. Grimes; 1845, A. Hamilton; 1846, B. Ellis; 1847,
W. Silsbee; 1848, W. Silsbee, O. L. Torry; 1849, A. G. Burlin-
game, H. Pilbeam; 1850, _____; 1851, D. Davies; 1852-56,
_____; 1857, G. R. Hair; 1858, A. F. Harding; 1859-60, A. C.
Sperry; 1861, William Silsbee; 1862-63, S. E. Walworth; 1864-
65, W. B. Thomas; 1866-67, George Comfort; 1868, D. D. Lind-
sley, J. Lee; 1869, D. D. Lindsley; 1870, J. A. Wood; 1871-73,
A. W. Loomis; 1874-76, D. Personeus; 1877-78, J. D. Bloodgood;
1879-80, C. A. Benjamin; 1881, E. R. D. Briggs; 1882-84, E. L.
Bennett; 1885-86, J. H. Boyce; 1887-90, J. H. Littell; 1891-92,
M. S. Godshall; 1893-94, F. J. Jones; 1895, H. G. Blair; 1896-98,
S. H. Wood; 1899-1900, D. B. Wilson; 1901-03, C. D. Shepard.
Marathon, N. Y.
Methodism began its work in Marathon in 1830 by the organi-
zation of a class of four members — Orin Carley, Caleb Newton,
Mary Newton, and Mrs. Griffin, Mr. Carley being the leader. The
class grew slowly. Having no pastor, they had preaching when-
ever they could secure a neighboring pastor or local preacher.
Their meetings were held in private houses and schoolhouses.
An old church record reveals the fact that in 1847 Marathon was
a part of the Lisle Circuit, which included Marathon, Union
Village, North Lapeer, Hunt's Corners, Whitney's Point, Lisle
Village, Center Lisle, Orton's Schoolhouse, Caldwell's Settlement,
and Canfield Hollow.
On February 17, 1840, a meeting was held in the schoolhouse
of district No. 2 for the purpose of incorporation. Uriah Sessions
and Caleb Newton presided, and Hiram Smith acted as clerk.
Caleb Newton, Jesse Johnson, Orin Carley, Uriah Sessions, Am-
brose Taylor, and Nathaniel Bouton were elected trustees. The
corporate name of the society is "The First Methodist Episcopal
Marathon, N. Y. 553
Society of Marathon." The trustees were empowered to purchase
a site for a church. Evidently they did not use their powers, for
at a meeting held on February 18, 1841, the society by vote de-
cided to purchase the present church lot of Chester Brink for
$75. At this meeting Caleb Newton, Jesse Johnson, and Uriah
Sessions were appointed a committee to circulate a subscription
paper, and, as soon as enough was secured to warrant the pro-
cedure, to enter into a contract for the building of a church. The
MARATHON CHURCH [photo]
subscription was taken by selling slips or pews before the work
was begun. The plan of the church was drawn with the following
dimensions: 36x40 feet, and 22 feet high at the eaves, with a
suitable steeple. After the foundation was laid James Burgess
was given the contract to build the superstructure for $1,200.
Fifty dollars was added to this by voluntary subscription to have
a swinging partition to the gallery. The building was finished in
October, 1842, and the members were assessed "according to
their ability, or the interest they had in the house, to build steps
for the church and level off the ground, said assessment to be paid
m work or material." "The committee purchased stoves and
554 Wyoming Conference
pipes, and the ladies contributed sufficient to buy material for
cushions, a large Bible, three chairs, two candlesticks and a
snuffer." The building was dedicated on November 12, 1842, by
Rev. Henry F. Rowe.
The church was repaired in the winter of 1862-63, and the
reopening services were held on Thursday, March 26, 1863, Rev.
A. S. Graves preaching at 10 130 a. m., Rev. B. I. Ives at 2 p. m.,
and Rev. E. Hoag at 7 p. m.
In 1876 the church was so thoroughly rebuilt as to practically
make it a new building. The building committee included John
Freeman, Nathan Lombard, O. H. Smith, John Moore, Granville
Talmadge, A. A. Carley, E. D. Baker, J. V. Van Dyke, William
Tarble, and C. C. Adams. The contract was let to A. C. Green
for $4,000. The building was dedicated on Thursday, December
7, 1876, Rev. E. C. Curtis, of Syracuse, preaching in the morning
and Rev. Hubbard Fox in the evening.
In 1891 the church was repaired, recarpeted, repapered, and
the vocalion purchased, at a cost of $850.
In 1895 the steeple was injured by lightning and was repaired
at a cost of $125.
On the night of September 29, 1896, a cyclone blew off the
steeple and chimneys, badly damaging the roof. The repairs at
this time cost $700.
The parsonage was bought in 1883 for $1,500.
Revs. O. L. Torry and W. H. Bunnell went into the ministry
from this church.
Revivals of exceptional power occurred in 1843, 1851-52,
Killawog. The first class organized here was called the Union
Village class. In 1843 Rev. L. Pitts organized a class here of
thirty members, of which David Locke was leader. The class
book of 1847 shows the class to have had twenty members, with
Moses Livermore leader. There were no regular services, and
the class was discontinued for a time. The class was reorganized
in 1860 with Merritt Hoyt leader. This class included Merritt
Hoyt, Permelia Hoyt, Hezekiah Grain, Elizabeth and Mary Grain,
Gynthia Wheaton, Ann Hitt, and Mary Mucky.
The first class met in the schoolhouse on the west side of the
river, but the trustees forced them to seek another place for their
meetings. For a while they held their services in the Baptist
church, but on account of a conflict as to hour of service the
society went to the
house of Merritt Hoyt, who made seats and so
Marathon, N. Y. 555
arranged the rooms of his house that all who desired could hear.
"From the place where the preacher stood four rooms opened, in
which could be heard the word of God." The society grew, and
a demand was soon felt for a church. A meeting was held on
May 20, 1866, at the home of Merritt Hoyt, when the society be-
came incorporated as "The First Methodist Episcopal Church
and Society of Killawog." William M. Gowdy and Charles H.
Phelps acted as judges, and Erastus Johnson, Calvin J. Wheaton,
William Lynde, Caleb Norton, Samuel H. Phelps, John Ballard,
and Archibald Sessions were elected trustees. A site for a church
was purchased of John La Grange for $125. Plans for a church
32x40 feet and twenty-foot posts were drawn, and the contract
for the building let to William M. Gowdy for $1,635. The total
cost of lot, building, and furnishings was $2,247. It was dedi-
cated on January 7, 1868, Rev. William Searls preaching in the
morning and Rev. E. Hoag in the evening.
Merritt Hoyt, Permelia Hoyt, and Mary Caul were members of
this society over fifty years.
1850, A. G. Burlingame; 1851, Hiram Gee; 1852, O. L. Torry;
1853, G. Colegrove; 1854-55, Wesley Fox; 1856-57, W. N. Burr;
1858, J. H. Barnard; 1859, Joseph F. Crawford; 1860-61, O. L.
Torry; 1862-63, O. Hessler; 1864-66, W. R. Cobb; 1867-69, A. C.
Bowdish; 1870, D. D. Lindsley; 1871, George Comfort; 1872,
H. Fox; 1873-74, Asa Brooks; 1875, W. Bixby; 1876, H. V.
Talbott; 1877-79, O. M. Martin; 1880, W. Bixby; 1881-83, O. H.
McAnulty; 1884, J. F. Warner; 1885, J. L. Race; 1886-88, E. N.
Sabin; 1889, L. B. Weeks; 1890, D. C. Barnes; 1891-95, E. R. D.
Briggs; 1896-98, F. D. Hartsock; 1899-1900, B. P. Ripley; 1901-
03, E. V. Armstrong.
McDONOUGH, N. Y.
The first class in McDonough was organized in 1815, and in-
cluded Walter Oyshterbanks and wife, Polly, Jacob Nash and
wife Louisa, William Allen and wife Susan. Walter Oyshter-
banks was appointed leader and served in that capacity until 1847,
when he was succeeded by Curtis Smith. Walter Oyshterbanks
was about sixteen years old when his father, Adam, came from
Connecticut and settled on Chestnut Ridge, on what is now the
Fox farm. He afterward moved near Stuart's Mill, where he
died. Walter married Polly Dunbar and moved into the edge of
German. Soon after the organization of the class its number was
556 Wyoming Conference
increased by the addition of Mary Nash, daughter of Jacob Nash,
Arthisia Hazen, and Mrs. Leonard, the latter of whom used to
follow a blazed trail on horseback to the log house of Walter
Oyshterbanks, the place of public worship.
On September 29, 1832, a meeting was held in the schoolhouse
in McDonough, at which Rev. James Atwell and Walter Oyshter-
banks presided and William D. Purple acted as clerk. "The
Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the Village of Mc-
Donough" began its legal existence, and Isaac J. Stratton, Joseph
J. Reed, Thomas Skillman, Walter Oyshterbanks, and Elijah
Gates were elected trustees. The incorporation was with a church
in view. In October subscriptions therefor were commenced,
and $1,159.50 was secured. Among the largest subscribers were
Walter Oyshterbanks, Isaac J. Stratton, Martin Dodge, John F.
Hill, and Richard Ray, whose subscriptions ran from $50 to $150.
The site for the church was deeded to the society on December
15, 1832, by John F. Hill and wife Frances as a part ($50) of his
subscription ($150). John F. Hill, William H. Bartle, and
Richard Sawtelle were appointed a building committee. The
building was begun in 1832 and finished in 1833, but was not
dedicated until August 14, 1834. The mason work was done by
Walter Oyshterbanks, Micah Coville, and Samuel Bacheller.
The carpenter work was under the supervision of Moses S. Emer-
son, and the joiner work was under the supervision of Lester
Tinker. During the erection of the church Isaac J. Stratton paid
$333 iri cash and also gave two years' labor, and Walter Oyshter-
banks gave $83, beside giving much time to planning and super-
intending the work. The whole community gave toward the
In 1850 the church was painted, inside and out, and a partition
made between the audience room and entrance. After these im-
provements a reopening service was held on Thursday, November
21, 1850, at which Dr. Z. Paddock preached in the morning. Rev.
A. J. Dana in the afternoon, and Rev. W. Reddy in the evening.
In 1869 the building was again repaired and extensively im-
proved at a cost of $1,500. The reopening services were held on
Wednesday, November 24, 1869, Rev. B. I. Ives being the
preacher of the day.
In 1894 the church, which had become somewhat dilapidated,
was thoroughly repaired, at an expense of $1,000. At this time
Mrs. Gibson, a Congregationalist of Norwich, presented the
society with a beautiful communion set and cloth, in memory of
McDonough, N. Y. 557
On September 4, 1838, Isaac J. Stratton and wife Rachel sold
the society a lot in the village for $5. This was for the purpose
of building a parsonage.
Curtis Smith served as class leader from 1847 until March 30,
1869, when he was succeeded by Francis T. Hall.
Mr. Milan Hill, who had been an earnest supporter of the
church, died in the spring of 1902, leaving by will twenty-eight
acres of land adjoining the parsonage, the use of which is for the
support of the pastor, and $25,000 in cash, the interest on which
is to be paid quarterly to the pastor as salary.
Smithville Center is situated about seven miles south of Mc-
Donough. We cannot state the circumstances attendant upon the
rise of Methodism in this place. On April 6, 1840, the society
gathered at the Cole Schoolhouse, the usual place of worship, for
the purpose of incorporating. Cyrus Hayes and Jeremiah Potter
presided, and Joseph J. Reed, Miles Hubbard, Alanson Mallery,
Jeremiah Potter, and Cyrus Hayes were elected trustees of "The
First Methodist Episcopal Church in Smithville." On February
19, 1849, Alexander Cummings and wife Abigail, and Herman
Brooks, in consideration of ten cents, deeded to the society the
site for the church. The church was built, and dedicated on
October 17, 1849, Rev. S. Stocking preached one of the sermons
from Rom. i, 16, and Rev. B. Hawley the other from Acts v, 20.
In 1870 this church was repaired and beautified at an expense of
$700. It was reopened on September 29, 1870. The building was
again repaired in 1890.
Cyrus Hayes was a leader here for thirty years, holding office
with great acceptance.
This appointment was with Greene in 1838. We are unable
to state when it was put with McDonough.
We should say that McDonough charge was first a part of
Chenango Circuit, then a part of Greene Circuit, and made a
charge in 1841.
A class was organized at Smithville Flats on January 11, 1874,
with the following members: Fred S. and Eglantine Skillman,
Charles R and Emily Potter, Uri and Philena Hazzard, George
and Lydia Brown, Jedediah and Alzina Kendall, Russell G. and
Jane Card, Eliza Hendrickson, Kitter A. Elwood, Sarah Barnes,
Albert Barnes, Alice Card, Elizabeth Cowan, Helen Rich, and
Lillie Cowan. On January 10, 1890, the society incorporated as
"The Methodist Episcopal Church of Smithville Flats," with
Herbert D. Harris, Uri Hazzard, L. W. Brooks, Jesse Read, and
558 Wyoming Conference
Theron M. Plulley trustees. Evidently the society was contem-
plating the erection of a church.
The society was with Greene until 1879, when it was put with
The Baptist church was used three years, the Universalist
church for a while, and subsequently the schoolhouse.
Work here has been abandoned.
1841-42, Elijah P. Beecher; 1843, J. Atwell; 1844-45, B. Ellis;
1846, George Evans; 1847-48, E. P. Beebe; 1849, E. W. Breckin-
ridge, J. C. Ransom; 1850, E. W. Breckinridge; 1851-52, W. N.
Pearne; 1853, E. D. Thurston; 1854, E. D. Thurston, Delos Pot-
ter; 1855, R- O- Beebe, E. Orwin; 1856, R. Townsend; 1857,
A. Benjamin; 1858-59, W. W. Andrews; 1860-61, O. Ellerson;
1862-63, T. Willis; 1864-65, W. R. Cochrane; 1866-67, A. C.
Smith; 1868-70, R. W. Van Schoick; 1871, E. W. Caswell; 1872-
73, McK. Shaw; 1874, J. B. Chynoweth; 1875-77, William Burn-
side; 1878-79, I. P. Towner; 1880-82, J. H. Taylor; 1883-85,
C. V. Arnold; 1886, S. Stephens; 1887, M. D. Matoon; 1888-90,
C. W. Babcock; 1891-92, I. C. Estes; 1893-96, G. Pope; 1897-99,
D. L. Meeker; 1900-01, A. M. Colegrove; 1902-03, E. D. Cook.
Morris, N. Y.
The society was organized about 1828, and was a part of
Chenango Circuit. Meetings were first held about one mile from
"Louisville," now Morris, occasionally in a private house, but
more frequently in a district schoolhouse. In 1838 the appoint-
ment was changed to the schoolhouse in the village of Louisville.
At a meeting of the society, held in the schoolhouse in Louisville,
town of Butternuts, on February 20, 1841, over which F. D.
Higgins and Allen Tinker presided, the society became incor-
porated, and elected John Gadsby, Sutton Pearsall, Mordecai
Wing, Samuel E. Barrett, and William Paine trustees. The cor-
porate name of the society is "Trustees of the First Society of the
Methodist Episcopal Church in Louisville."
In consideration of $100 Mordecai Wing and wife Hannah
deeded the society a lot containing twenty-five rods. On this lot
the first church was built in 1845, at a cost of about $2,000. In
1870 $7,000 was expended in the purchase of additional ground,
erection of sheds, and enlarging of the church, it being raised
and a basement finished, a steeple built, and a bell purchased.
Mount Upton, N. Y. 559
On March 31, 1882, Silas W. Murdock and wife Emily J.
deeded the society a parsonage property for $1,000. In 1886 this
property was sold for $900, and the present property purchased
A. E. Daniels, Joel Davis, E. D. Thurston, G. W. Green,
William R. Lynch, and B. P. and N. B. Ripley entered the minis-
try from this church.
1851, Walter Jerome; 1852-53, D. Williams; 1854, H. S. Rich-
ardson; 1855, J. W. Mitchell; 1856-57, J. T. Crippen; 1858-60,
A. S. Southworth; 1861, A. E. Daniels; 1862, H. V. Talbott;
1863-64, H. N. Van Deusen; 1865-67, W. L. Thorpe; 1868-69,
John Pilkington; 1870, J. W. Mevis; 1871-72, J. C. Shelland;
1873, W. G. Queal; 1874-75, W. B. Thomas; 1876, C. G. Wood;
1877-78, J. S. Southworth; 1879-80, Wihiam Edgar; 1881-82,
L. B. Weeks; 1883, L. Jennison; 1884, T. F. Hall; 1885-87, J. B.
Cook; 1888-90, E. R. D. Briggs; 1891-92, F. J. Jones; 1893-94,
G. F. Ace; 1895-98, L. Jennison; 1899-1900, E. L. Jeffrey; 1901-
02, E. E. Pearce; 1903, M. H. Reed.
Mount Upton, N. Y.
Mount Upton charge was a part of the Chenango Circuit until
the formation of Union charge in 1849, the name being changed
to Mount Upton in 1850. Mount Upton church is a daughter of
old "Union." Prior to 1855 the class held its services in homes
of its members, in the schoolhouse, and for a time, through the
courtesy of Bishop Delaney, in the Episcopal church. These
services were usually conducted by the circuit preacher, but oc-
casionally by local exhorters and local preachers, among whom
were John Eastwood and Nathaniel Hyer, who are still distinctly
remembered by some of the old residents.
The society met for the purpose of incorporation on February
7, 1854. F. C. Place and Jerry Shepard presided, and Jerry
Shepard, F. C. Place, Jacob Stowell, James B. Graves, and
Youngs E. Stowell were elected trustees of "The First Methodist
Episcopal Church in Mount Upton." On March 31, 1855, Jacob
Stowell was elected secretary of the Quarterly Conference, which
position he held for thirty years. The following men were pres-
ent at this meeting, and voted: Zadoc B. Chamberlain, C. S.
Graves, J. D. Graves, George F. Graves, Russell Ford, John
Yale, M.D., Jeremiah Shepard, Young E. Stowell, Foster C.
Place, J. F. Place, Ur Hayes, Darius Hyer, Russell Boyce,
560 Wyoming Conference
Cyrenus Chamberlain, Charles Sumner, Thompkins Jewel, Lewis
Jewel, William S. Moore, Jesse Van Deusen, John Lawrence, Jr.,
Benjamin Peet, E. B. Kellogg, Azer Wood, Merlin J. Ford,
Jacob Stowell, Joseph Severns, Derrien Shepard, J. M. Hall, A. D.
Dye, J. E. C. Mosher, Gilbert G. Palmer, John Eddy, John Van
Deusen, Jonathan Kinne, Fra;nklin Boyce, Calvin Chamberlain,
Clark Chamberlain, Colwell Chamberlain, William W. Green,
Joseph C. Breet, E. A. B. Graves. This number would indicate
that the Mount Upton class was already one of considerable
On April 1, 1854, Mary G. Secor deeded the society the site
MOUNT UPTON CHURCH [photo]
for the church for $350, which was paid to her in specie. The
contract for building the church was let to Messrs. George F. and
J. D. Graves. The building cost about $2,000, and was dedicated
on Thursday, January 25, 1855, Rev. William Reddy preaching
in the morning and Rev. J. T. Wright in the evening.
There is on file in the county clerk's office the record of a
second incorporation which occurred on April 6, 1863. Jerry
Shepard and F. C. Place presided at the meeting, and Jerry Shep-
ard, F. C. Place, Russell Boyce, Youngs E. Stowell, and Ur
Hayes were elected trustees. This was probably due to neglect
in electing successors to the board elected in 1854.
The following minute appears in the record of the trustees as
having been enacted on March 7, 1864: "Voted that the trustees
meet March 8, for the purpose of hanging a bell in their church."
Mount Upton, N. Y. 561
In 1874 the church was extensively repaired. A basement was
built under it, a new steeple built, and about eleven feet built on
the front of the church, all at an expense of $3,700. The reopen-
ing occurred on Thursday, August 20, 1874, Rev. William Searls
preaching in the morning and Rev. J. G. Eckman in the evening.
At the close of the morning service $2,000, which was needed to
liquidate the indebtedness, was "enjoyably" raised.
In 1898 it was very evident that a new church was needed, but
the society did not think it possible to build at that time. An
elect lady, Mary Hastings, a Methodist, and loving Methodism,
though not a member of this society, offered $1,000 on condition
that a church be built within a year. The pastor circulated a
subscription, and in one week $3,220 was secured. On October
27, 1898, the corner stone of the new church was laid, the services
being held in the Hall. Revs. L. A. Wild, B. N. Butts, W. T.
Blair, and C. H. Hayes participated in the services. The corner
stone is of blue marble 20x20x12 inches. The copper box con-
taining the articles was made by W. E. Weinsor. It contains the
following: Bible, Hymnal, Discipline; Methodist Year Book,
1898; Wyoming Conference Minutes, 1898; Otsego Journal of
October, Oneonta Star, Norwich Sun, Chenango Union, Che-
nango Telegraph, New York Press, Christian Advocate, North-
ern Christian Advocate, Epworth Herald, Gospel in All Lands,
Sidney Record, Sunday School Advocate; "Raising of the
Dollar;" postage stamps, 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10; 2-cent revenue stamp;
postal card; 50 cents, silver, of 1898; 5-cent nickel of 1898; one
cent, copper, 1854; United States flag, silk; photo of interior of
old church; calendar of 1898; Epworth League topic card; Ep-
worth League convention badge; picture of Battleship Oregon;
account of corner stone ceremonies; Mount Upton Eagle, pub-
lished 1870; lists of original organizers, membership, official mem-
bers, officers W. F. M. S., officers W. H. M. S., officers Ladies'
Aid Society, officers Epworth League, preachers, presiding elders,
principal facts in history of church, contributors to new church;
seventy individual passages of Scripture with signatures of par-
ties contributing them; postal card from Rev. W. R. Cochrane;
a poem by C. H. G.
The building cost $5,232, all of which was subscribed and paid
before the day of dedication. The pastor and family gave the
communion table, and Rev. C. H. Hayes gave the pulpit Bible
and Hymnal. The dedicatory services occurred on Tuesday and
Wednesday, April 4 and 5, 1899. On Tuesday evening Rev.
W. T. Blair preached from Matt, xii, 42, and administered the
562 Wyoming Conference
sacrament of the Lord's Supper. On Wednesday at 10:45 Rev.
E. B. Olmstead preached from Heb. xi, 1. In the afternoon ad-
dresses were made by Revs. C. H. Sackett, G. A. Place, and C. H.
Hayes. In the evening Rev. J. E. Bone delivered the sermon,
which was followed by the dedicatory service, conducted by the
A pipe organ costing $1,400 was installed in 1902.
The parsonage was at Union for many years. In 1887 it was
sold, and the present house was built at a cost of $2,596. In the
same year the sheds were moved to their present location.
Russell Boyce was the first class leader at Mount Upton, in
which capacity he served over forty years. In this period, how-
ever, there were some intermissions.
Union is located one and one half miles north of Mount Upton,
at what is called Rockwell's Mills. Methodism was established
in Unadilla Valley at a very early date. Meetings were held in
private houses. The story of the beginning of Methodism in
most places is the history of Methodism here. Love feast tickets
of 1799 and 1800 are in existence, showing that work was or-
ganized and in existence then in this place. At this time meetings
were held in the home of Isaac Boyce, near Godfrey's Corners.
Mr. Boyce subsequently moved to the farm now known as the
Zoerb farm, where services were held for a number of years. In
1803 the "Eastwood" society was organized, about a mile above
the church, on the Unadilla side of the river. John and Daniel
Eastwood were the leading spirits of the society. John was an
efficient class leader, and became somewhat noted as an exhorter
and local preacher. The services of the class were held in the
homes of these brothers. Meetings were also held in the house
of Nathaniel Hyer, a local preacher, below Mount Upton. The
farm is now known as the W. S. Moore farm.
The church was built in 1819, on land donated by Ezekiel
Wheeler, one of the early settlers in Unadilla Valley. The build-
ing had been twice repaired when in 1876 it was dismantled.
Finding the frame to be perfectly sound, it was used again, the
building being somewhat changed and modernized. Memorial
windows were put in, and the building was greatly beautified, at
an expense of $1,275, which was raised on the day of reopening,
November 9, 1876, Rev. William Bixby preaching in the morning
and Rev. J. G. Eckman in the evening. This the first Methodist
church in Unadilla valley is historic, and to it many of the other
Protestant churches in the surrounding country are indebted.
New Berlin, N. Y. 563
Revs. S. Moore, D.D., G. H. Place, Ph.D., and C. H. Hayes
went from this church into the ministry.
This church enjoyed a great revival from January to March,
1851. Two days of fasting and prayer were followed by three
weeks of cottage prayer meetings, "taking every house in course,"
and then, though the attendance was small, the meetings were
transferred to the church. Three evenings passed before the
break came. Then people rushed to the altar, and it is said there
was scarcely an unconverted person left in the community.
1849-50, Lewis H. Stanley; 1851-52, E. P. Beebe; 1853, W. C.
McDonald; 1854, A. G. Burlingame, E. Orwin; 1855, A. G. Bur-
lingame; 1856-57, W. Jerome; 1858, Joel Davis; 1859, Joel Davis,
L. Sperry; 1860, L. Sperry, H. Meeker; 1861-62, E. D. Thurston;
1863, W. R. Cochrane; 1864-65, W. W. Andrews; 1866, S.
Moore; 1867-68, W. A. Wadsworth; 1869, B. B. Carruth; 1870-
71, McK. Shaw; 1872-74, S. W. Weiss; 1875-76, E. P. Eldridge;
1877-79, T. P. Halstead; 1880, D. C. Barnes; 1881-82, N. S. Rey-
nolds; 1883-85, J. Bradshaw; 1886-88, L. B. Weeks; 1889-90,
E. N. Sabin; 1891-92, C. H. Sackett; 1893, E. H. De Puy; 1894-
98, W. T. Blair; 1899-1900, E. R. D. Briggs; 1901-03, F. D.
New Berlin, N. Y.
It is claimed that when Freeborn Garrettson was traveling the
Albany District, in 1798, he pushed his way as far west as New
Berlin. He was probably the first itinerant to visit this section.
Just what he found here, or what he accomplished, is not known.
Nor do we know when the first class was formed here. It is
probable, however, that work was developed here shortly after
the formation of Chenango Circuit, and its preachers began to
thread their way through this territory.
On December 17, 1832, the society met at the house of Abel
Judson, in New Berlin Village for the purpose of incorporation.
Rev. Lyman Beach presided, and Abel Judson acted as secretary.
Benjamin Jacobs, Abel Judson, Elisha Babcock, John C. Bates,
and Thomas Sayles were elected trustees of "The First Methodist
Episcopal Church in the Town of New Berlin." At this time
Rev. Lyman Beach was on the Brookfield Circuit, which would
indicate that New Berlin was then a part of that circuit.
On December 29, 1832, Daniel Bancroft and wife Minnie, and
Lydia Bancroft, in consideration of $5 deeded the trustees the
564 Wyoming Conference
land upon which the church stands, on condition that a church
be erected on it within ten years.
The society met on February 4, 1841, at Masonic Hall, the usual
place of worship, and again incorporated. It is probable that no
trustees had been elected to succeed the trustees elected on Decem-
ber 17, 1832. At this meeting Rev. F. D. Higgins and David D.
Dye presided. Joel Merchant, Elisha Babcock, David D. Dye,
Theron Denton, and Lyman Babcock were elected trustees of
NEW BERLIN CHURCH [photo]
"The First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the
Town of New Berlin." On April 8, 1841, the trustees let the
contract to build a church to Uzziel Thurber and Albert W. Hill
for $300, the trustees furnishing all the materials. The building
was to be 36x50 feet, with a steeple 21 feet high, and to be finished
by September 15, 1841. The church was dedicated on November
Prior to this services were held in the old white schoolhouse
until that privilege was withdrawn. Services were then held
under a large elm tree which stood on the corner of North Main
and Elm Streets. A number of logs which had been drawn there
New Berlin, N. Y. 565
served well as seats. The society subsequently secured the use
of the Masonic Hall, where services were held until the new
church was ready for use.
The circuit was formed from Chenango Circuit in 1836, New
Berlin appearing that year among the appointments. From 1837
to 1839 inclusive it is supposed to have been with Edmeston. In
1840 it again appears in the list of appointments, and has con-
tinued until now. When the circuit was formed it included New
Berlin, Gilbertsville, South New Berlin, Louisville (Morris), and
Dimmick Hollow. The following year Dimmick Hollow was
dropped and King's Settlement added. In 1843 the circuit con-
tained New Berlin, North New Berlin, King's Settlement, South
New Berlin, Holmesville, West Hill, and McIntyre Schoolhouse.
In 1848 New Berlin has none of these out-appointments. Find-
ing themselves unable to support a pastor, Columbus was added
In 1859-60 a bell which cost $375 was put in the belfry. At
this time the spire was remodeled, the pyramid being added, the
belfry windows fitted with blinds, the church shingled, painted,
and an organ and Bible bought. After an expenditure of $1,500
in repairs the church was reopened on March 10, 1876, Rev.
J. G. Eckman preaching in the morning and Rev. H. H. Dresser
in the evening. The interior of the church was greatly altered.
Stained glass windows replaced the old-fashioned thirty-two-
light windows; the pulpit was taken from the front and placed in
the other end of the room; the two doors in front were closed and
a central double door put in; the old-style pews were torn out,
the floor leveled, and new oak pews with cushions put in; the
choir gallery was remodeled and placed at the left of the pulpit;
pulpit chairs were purchased. The carpenter work was done by
Mr. Leman Seymour. In 1891-92 a steel roof replaced the
In 1898 the church was extensively repaired. The building
was raised 8½ feet, and a Sunday school room 28x34, a prayer
room 22x22, and a kitchen 14x22 feet were built beneath it. Front
and back stairways were built leading to the auditorium. The
auditorium seats three hundred people. A new carpet was laid,
and the cushions were re-covered. A steel ceiling added
beauty to the room. A choir alcove 12x13 feet was built back of
the pulpit. The building was lighted by electric lights and heated
by a new furnace. The cost of these repairs was $2,100, $1,200 of
which was raised on the day of dedication. The building was
dedicated on November 30, 1898, Rev. B. I. Ives preaching morn-
566 Wyoming Conference
ing and evening and handling the finances. The presiding elder,
Rev. C. H. Hayes, conducted the dedicatory service at the close
of the evening service.
Mr. T. H. Dakin sacrificed much of his time and energy in
furthering this enterprise, besides carrying about one fourth of
Agrippa Butts, Joseph Olney, Milton Hubby, Joseph Gaskill,
and W. K. Sherwood have been local preachers licensed by the
New Berlin Quarterly Conference, and Andrew Spicer, F. M.
Burlingame, A. L. Holliday, Collins C. Hill, and William H.
On August 5, 1854, Lyman Babcock and wife Octavia deeded
a house and lot adjoining the church to the trustees in considera-
tion of $500. The house was a small story-and-a-half building.
In 1871 a two-story addition 22x24 feet was built on the front,
and the old house extensively repaired, making an inviting par-
sonage. In 1891 a large double bay window was built on the
south side of the parsonage, a portion of the roof raised, and a
large upper room converted into a pleasant study.
In 1890 Mrs. Lucy Chase bequeathed the church $3,000. After
satisfying the inheritance tax the society received $2,800, $800 of
which has been used in making repairs.
The Ladies' Aid Society has been an important factor in the
financial enterprises of this church.
Columbus is situated six miles northwest of New Berlin. Early
in the century Methodism began to exert itself in this place,
though no regular services were held until 1816. In 1805 a quar-
terly meeting was held in Mr. Underwood's barn, with a sermon
by Rev. Timothy Dewey. The following day a love feast was
held, attended by a vast concourse of people, and followed by the
services usual on such occasions.
In June, 1816, a class was formed which included Levi Jaquith,
Abigail Jaquith, Lydia Rexford, Levina Henderson, William
Lottridge, and Rhoda Watson. The meeting at which this class
was formed was held in the house of John Lottridge. Meetings
were continued on every Tuesday at 10 a. m. In the winter the
services were held in Mr. Lottridge's house, and in the summer
in his barn. At this time Columbus was a part of the Chenango
Circuit. At the formation of Brookfield Circuit in 1827 it became
part of that circuit, where it remained until 1851, when it was
added to New Berlin.
A meeting was held at the house of John Lottridge on Novem-
New Berlin, N. Y. 567
ber 3, 1845, for the purpose of incorporation. John L. Carrier,
Asher Palmiter, Joseph Olney, George F. Blackman, James Hill,
and Stephen Fenton were elected trustees. Alt this meeting
Joseph Olney, Randall Richer, Grant B. Palmer, Benjamin
Downing, and Edward W. Breckenridge were constituted a
building committee to superintend the erection of a church. On
January 15, 1846, the society secured by deed the site for the
church of Abner Burlingame and wife in consideration of $75.
The church was dedicated on February 10, 1847. This building
was extensively repaired in 1874, at an expense of $1,700. The
interior of the church was entirely remodeled, the pulpit changed
from the front to the rear, an alcove built for the extension of the
pulpit platform; the walls were frescoed, new pews and stained
glass memorial windows put in. A bell tower was built, and
about five years later Mrs. Helen Hayward presented the church
with a bell. The church was reopened on January 6, 1875, Rev.
S. O. Barnes, of Lowville, preaching in the morning and Rev.
J. G. Eckman in the evening. Five hundred dollars was raised
during the day. Rev. Dwight Williams was present, and delighted
the congregation by reciting some of his poems.
1836, D. W. Bristol; 1837-39, supposed to be with Edmeston;
1840-41, A. Peck, F. D. Higgins; 1842, C. W. Harris, William
Burnside; 1843, C. W. Harris, R. S. Rose; 1844, Justus Soule,
E. D. Thurston; 1845, Justus Soule, D. S. Holister; 1846, L.
Anderson, D. S. Holister; 1847, L. Anderson; 1848-49, Robert
Fox; 1850-51, Michael M. Tuke; 1852, L. Bowdish; 1853, E. P.
Beebe; 1854-55, C. Starr; 1856-57, H. F. Rowe; 1858-59, M. B.
Cleveland; 1860-61, William Burnside; 1862-63, W. W. An-
drews; 1864, T. M. Williams; 1865, E. D. Thurston; 1866, Orin
L. Torry; 1867-68, M. G. Wadsworth; 1869, C. D. Shepard;
1870, W. B. Thomas; 1871, R. W. Van Schoick; 1872, J. A.
Wood, 2d; 1873, William Burnside; 1874-75, L. A. Wild; 1876-
77, N. J. Hawley; 1878-79, J. C. Shelland; 1880, N. S. Reynolds;
1881-83, D. C. Barnes; 1884-86, L. Jennison; 1887-88, W. Frisby;
1889-90, M. S. Godshall; 1891-93, G. H. Prentice; 1894-96, E. L.
Jeffrey; 1897-99, M. L. Andariese; 1900-03, W. W. Watrous.
North Fenton, N. Y.
We have been able to secure all too little concerning this charge.
North Fenton was for many years the leading appointment on the
Page Brook Circuit.
568 Wyoming Conference
The class was organized in 1830 with five members, and the
society was incorporated in.1832, with Rufus G. Christian,
Ebenezer Cole, Charles Elliott, Justin Watrous, Garrett William-
son, and Claude Hamilton trustees. The first church was built
the same year upon a plot of ground donated by Claude Hamil-
ton. The church was built by Mr. A. Beman, and cost $2,000.
In 1871 $2,680 was spent in repairing this building. It was re-
opened on Wednesday, January 10, 1872, Rev. W. H. Olin
preaching in the morning and Rev. D. W. Bristol in the evening.
One thousand dollars was raised during the day's services.
Extensive revivals were witnessed in 1831, 1849, 1855,
The parsonage was purchased of Mr. Jerome Baker, and has
since been rebuilt and enlarged.
New Ohio is five miles east of North Fenton. The society here
is said to have been organized in 1825 by Billy Way with eight
members. The church was built in 1844 at a cost of $800, and
seats two hundred and fifty people.
Page Brook, 1841, Lucius C. Woodford; 1842-43, A. G. Bur-
lingame; 1844-4.S, P. Bartlett; 1846-47, H. Ercanbrack; 1848-49,
L. Pitts; 1850, T. D. Wire; 1851, M. Ruger; 1852, supply(?);
1853, William Round; 1854, William Round, E. Puffer; 1855,
_____; 1856, A. C. Sperry, William Roberts; 1857-58, L. Pitts;
1859-60, A. F. Harding; 1861, F. Spencer; 1862, N. S. Reynolds;
1863, P. S. Worden; 1864, William Round; 1865-66, S. Earner;
1867, P. S. Worden; 1868, L. Pitts; 1869-70, E. Sibley; North
Fenton, 1871-73, T. Burgess; 1874-75, C. D. Shepard; 1876-77,
A. C. Sperry; 1878-79, G. A. Severson; 1880, E. R. D. Briggs;
1881-82, F. H. Parsons; 1883-84, S. H. Wood; 1885, E. L. Ben-
nett; 1886-88, C. L. Rice; 1889-90, I. C. Estes; 1891-92, George
Pope; 1893-97, D. W. Swetland; 1898, M. D. Matoon; 1899-1901,
G. L. Williams; 1902-03, W. M. Shaw.
North Norwich, N. Y.
We are unable to give the time and circumstances surrounding
the introduction of Methodism into North Norwich. The society
became incorporated on May 27, 1849. Daniel Cook presided,
and Daniel Cook, Thompson E. Cook, William D. Sackett, John
Chase, and John A. Cook were chosen trustees, the latter becom-
ing clerk of the board. William D. Sackett was class leader, and
North Norwich, N. Y. 569
John A. Cook recording steward. Meetings had previously been
held occasionally in the village schoolhouse, but in 1849 the Shaw
store was converted into a meetinghouse, and used as such for
twenty years. However, the society was ambitious for a more
attractive place of worship, and on March 24, 1856, a building lot
was purchased of William D. Sackett and wife Julia A. for $650,
on condition that a church should be erected upon it. The society
failed to build the church, and the sale consequently fell through.
The fact is evidence of the growing ambitions of the society at
On May 12, 1868, the trustees of "The First Baptist Church
and Society in Norwich," now North Norwich, conveyed to the
trustees of "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of North
Norwich" an undivided half of this church and ground. For
this the Methodists paid $600, and by agreement spent the $600 in
repairs on the church. The property was to be kept in repair by
the parties mutually, each society "contributing thereto according
as they shall have used it." The undivided half of the church
furniture was included in the sale. This church building was
erected by the Baptists in 1802, and originally stood in the ceme-
tery inclosure at North Norwich, and was taken down and
removed to its present location in 1849-50.
North Norwich was with Smyrna until put with King's
Settlement in 1873.
On December 31, 1900, the society met and reincorporated.
M. B. Ludington presided, and J. W. Sturges acted as secretary.
M. B. Ludington, Leroy Holliday, and J. W. Sturges were elected
On December 19, 1901, Elisha S. Brown and wife Elsie deeded
to the trustees of "The First Methodist Episcopal Church of
North Norwich" the site for the church in consideration of $200.
The church built upon this lot cost, with the furnishings, $2,000.
The auditorium is 22x40 feet, having a prayer room 14x20 feet
on one side, and a kitchen 12x14 feet on the other. A vestibule
8 feet square opens into the auditorium and prayer room. The
memorial windows and interior decorations combine to make an
inviting room. The building was dedicated on October 30, 1902.
Rev. T. F. Hall, D.D., preached from 2 Tim. ii, 19, and in the
evening former pastors, G. N. Underwood, G. G. McChesney,
L. D. Palmer, and A. J. NefF, made brief addresses. Three hun-
dred dollars was raised during the day to liquidate all indebted-
ness. At the beginning of this enterprise the Methodists sold their
interest in the Baptist church back to the Baptist society for $600.
570 Wyoming Conference
King's Settlement is about eight miles from North Norwich.
The society here became incorporated on March 30, 1835. Rev.
Lyman Beach presided, and Benjamin H. King acted as secretary.
George H. King, John King, Jr., Abraham West, Matthew C.
Barr, Arnold Shaw, James Merihew, and Benjamin H. King were
elected trustees. The society was reorganized on May 15, 1843.
On June 4, 1857, thirty-two rods of ground were secured by
deed from James and Anna Johnson for $32. Presumably the
church was built shortly after this. In 1871 it was rebuilt at a
cost of $1,500.
The parsonage for this charge is located at King's Settlement,
and is valued at $500.
King's Settlement was with New Berlin from 1841-43, with
Edmeston in 1845, and at the time it became an appointment in
1867 it was with South New Berlin. These facts indicate that it
has been somewhat migratory in its relations.
King's Settlement, 1867, _____; 1868, Alvin W. Barrows;
1869, G. S. Hathaway; 1870, David Davies; 1871-73, D. Bullock;
North Norwich, 1874, D. Bullock; 1875, B. B. Carruth; King's
Settlement and North Norwich, 1876, B. B. Carruth; 1877, C. C.
Williams; King's Settlement, 1878, C. C. Williams; North Nor-
wich and King's Settlement, 1879, Albert Loomis; 1880, E. A.
Baldwin; North Norwich, 1881-82, C. B. Personeus; 1883-84,
W. G. Queal; 1885-86, L. C. Hayes; 1887, J. H. Beere; 1888-90,
N. E. Bliss; 1891-92, L. C. Hayes; 1893-94, C. M. Olmstead;
1895, G. N. Underwood; 1896-97, A. J. Neff; 1898-99, L. D.
Palmer; 1900, G. G. McChesney; 1901-03, E. E. Barker.
Norwich, N. Y.
Methodism in Norwich dates back to 1815, when Rev. John
Hamilton, one of the preachers on Lebanon Circuit, preached at
irregular intervals in the home of Father Parker, about one mile
east of the village. Here services were held for several years.
In 1816 the services became regular, being held once in two
weeks, under the ministry of Rev. G. W. Densmore. His min-
istry seems to have been a very successful one, the membership
of Lebanon Circuit, in which Norwich was included, being re-
ported in 1816 as three hundred and fifty. In 1863 one of his
sermons was still talked about, being from a part of Gen. xxiv, 58:
"Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go." About
Norwich, N. Y. 571
1820 a class was organized by Rev. Reuben Reynolds, a local
preacher of blessed memory, and the class meetings were held in
his home, on West Main Street.
After a while the society deemed it wise to move into the village
with their preaching services, and accordingly secured the use of
the courthouse for a fortnightly service. The society was soon
deprived of this place, when the use of the old academy was
secured. But this was enjoyed but a short time when notice to
quit was served. A good brother fixed seats in the loft of his
wagon shop and this room served the
society until an old schoolhouse, out
one side, on West Main Street, was
secured for public services. Not-
withstanding opposition the society
On January 2, 1827, the society
met for incorporation. Rev. Benja-
min Shipman presided, and Rev. Reu-
ben Reynolds acted as clerk. The
meeting adjourned to the 13th, when
Miriam Saunders, Reuben Reynolds,
William D. Burdick, Nathan D.
Stanton, and Thomas Neverson were
elected trustees of "The First Society
of the Methodist Episcopal Church
in Norwich." At a meeting of the
trustees held on January 27, 1827,
George H. King being chairman and
Nathan D. Stanton secretary, all the
members of the board being present,
it was "Voted that we make an effort
to build a church;" "Voted that Rev.
B. Shipman obtain a draft for said church;" "Voted that a
building committee of three be appointed, and that T. Neverson,
William Burdick, and N. D. Stanton compose said committee."
At a meeting of the trustees held on February 24, 1827, Caleb
Seabury, George W. King, and Reuben Reynolds were consti-
tuted a committee to purchase a site for a church.
Subscription papers were circulated dated March 29, 1827,
which were the basis for the building of the first church, and were
drawn payable in cash, neat stock, produce, labor, lumber, pork,
etc. The following are samples: John Reynolds, $5 in tailoring;
572 Wyoming Conference
Thomas Stockton, $5 in boots and shoes; Asa Pellet, $2 in
lumber; George Field, $10 in carpenter work or goods; William
Munroe, when the house is done, $5 in cash, and $5 in pork or
grain in the fall of 1828.
The society was reincorporated on January 27, 1834. The
former corporate name was retained, and Ansel Berry, David
Blindbury, Daniel Cook, Hiram Atherton, and Nathan D. Stan-
ton were chosen trustees. Alvin Torry and Nathan D. Stanton
presided at this meeting. At a meeting of the trustees held on
December 29, 1834, they decided to purchase a lot of Walter M.
Conkey for $500, and to build a church 38x50 feet, with base-
ment and gallery. The deed for the lot, containing thirty-five
rods, was executed on May 2, 1835, by Walter M. Conkey and
wife Frances, the society paying $445.33 for the same. On
March 7, 1834, the building of the basement was let to Ansel
Berry for $200, and the framework to Benjamin W. King for
$300. The church complete cost about $3,000. It stood just
north of the present church. The church was dedicated in the
summer of 1836, Dr. George Peck, Andrew Peck, and Lyman
Beach preaching on the occasion. A bitter struggle of fifteen
years then followed to pay for the building.
Norwich appears among the list of appointments in 1827. It
then was the name of a circuit. In 1832 it was a two-weeks'
circuit as follows (we here give a preacher's plan for his trip):
Monday, Oxford, 10:30 a. m. and 1:30 p. m., at Lewis's, 7 p. m.;
Tuesday at Stead's, 7 p. m.; Wednesday, Preston Corners; Thurs-
day, McGee's; Friday, Norton's; Sunday, Plymouth, 10:30 A. m.,
Norwich 4 p. m.; a week of rest; Sunday, Oxford; Tuesday,
Southworth's; Wednesday, Bennett's; Thursday, Little Four
Corners; Friday, King Hill. In 1836 Norwich became a station —
that is, without outlying appointments.
The church was repaired and enlarged in 1853, and again in
1863. In 1867 it was improved and an organ bought.
The erection of the present church building was projected in
1872, and the corner stone laid on May 28, 1873. Addresses were
made by Bishop Peck, Rev. Luke Queal, D.D., and Rev. George
Peck, D.D. James G. Clark, the noted singer, sang a song. Rev.
Reuben Reynolds, who organized the class, was present and gave
some reminiscences. Bishop Peck deposited the box of me-
mentos and laid the corner stone. As soon as the basement could
be used the society moved in.. The basement rooms were dedi-
cated on MarcTi 26, 1874, Rev. H. Wheeler preaching at 2 p. m.
and Rev. William Searls at 7 p. m., and Rev. J. G. Eckman
Norwich, N. Y. 573
conducted the dedicatory service. The church was completed the
following year, and was dedicated on January 14, 1875. The
church and furnishings, including a $600 bell and a pipe organ
which cost $2,800, cost $49,500. Of this amount $12,000 had
already been raised, leaving $37,500 to be provided for on the
day of dedication. Bishop Peck preached in the morning from
"Arise, shine, for the glory of the Lord has risen upon thee."
Rev. William Searls preached in the evening. Rev. B. I. Ives
handled the finances during the day and secured $40,100 in
One writer in sketching the history of this church and referring
to the dedication says, "And after that the deluge." Hardly any
figure of speech can fairly portray the struggle of the next decade.
In May, 1878, the pastor and official board, indorsed by the
presiding elder and Bishop Peck, issued a circular letter appeal-
ing to the generosity of the public, and stating that, owing to the
panic and hard times, several who had subscribed liberally at the
dedication had become bankrupt, and that so many subscriptions
were impaired that the church was $34,000 in debt. The condi-
tion was serious, appaUing. In 1878 the pastor gave his year's
salary toward reducing the debt. Eighteen hundred dollars was
made on two Niagara excursions. Thus the society struggled
until in 1884, after paying $14,000 in interest and reducing the
principal about $5,000, the church property was sold to satisfy
the mortgage, and the society was left without a dollar's worth
of property. At this time the total indebtedness of the church
was $28,723.20. The various creditors made liberal concessions
on condition that. the socifety should redeem the property. To do
this $21,235.40 was needed. The Hon. William Connell was the
providential man. He told the church that if it would raise $10,000
the balance would be forthcoming. The society raised $10,000.
Mr. Connell gave $7,110.40 himself, and secured $2,000 from the
Church Extension Society, $1,000 from J. D. Slayback, $500
from J. B. Cornell, $300 from Mrs. P. L. Bennett, $100 from
Oliver Hoyt, $100 from Payne Pettebone, $100 from L. D. Shoe-
maker, and $25 from H. H. Brommel, making a total raised by
Mr. Connell of $11,235.40. On January 1, 1885, the property
was redeemed. On January 22, 1885, jubilee and dedicatory
services were held. Rev. H. A. Buttz, D.D., preached at 2 p. m.,
from Matt, xvi, 15-18, and the evening service was a thanksgiving
service in charge of Rev. H. M. Crydenwise. For prudential
reasons the society was reorganized as "The Broad Street Meth-
odist Episcopal Church of Norwich."
574 Wyoming Conference
In 1901-02 the church was greatly improved at an expense of
$2,400. The organ was removed to the rear of the pulpit, and the
choir loft placed between the organ and pulpit. A beautiful arch
was erected over the organ and pulpit, and the ells at the right
and left of the pulpit were converted into class rooms. The gal-
lery was made accessible from the auditorium, a steel ceiling put
in the auditorium', and the walls were newly frescoed. An
acetylene gas plant was installed. The Ladies' Aid Society re-
carpeted the room and made themselves helpful in many ways.
These changes make the room very attractive. Reopening
services were held on January 26, 1902, Rev. W. H. Pearce, D.D.,
preaching morning and evening. During the day enough money
was subscribed to cover the outlay.
The years 1854 and 1867, and January, 1876, were seasons of
extraordinary revival work.
Norwich entertained the Oneida Conference in August,
1839; July, 1856; April, 1864; and the Wyoming Conference
April, 1871; April, 1879; April, 1887; and April, 1898.
On October 8, 1868, Ansel Berry and wife Hannah J., in
consideration of $1 deeded the society a house and lot on the
north side of Mill Street, valued at $743. The lot contained one
half acre. On June 14, 1872, Celinda, Ella, and Catharine Mead
conveyed a house and lot on the east side of North Main Street,
in consideration of $600. On June 10, 1874, Martha A. Avery
and her husband George W. Avery conveyed a residence property
to the church for $1,800. We are unable to give the disposition
made of the first two properties. The last was used for a
parsonage until swept away by the financial crisis. The present
parsonage beside the church was conveyed to the church on
November 14, 1900, by Henry Mitchell, $4,200 being the purchase
price. The society is carrying an incumbrance of $3,000 on
1827, Josiah Keyes; 1828, Henry Peck; 1829, _____; 1830,