Students planning to pursue a major or a minor in theatre are encouraged to audition for a scholarship with faculty from the Theatre Department. Students with a talent for acting will be asked to perform two memorized contrasting excerpts from scripts of your choice — one comedic and one serious selection about three (3) minutes each in length. Shakespeare excerpts should NOT be used for the audition. Directing and technical theatre students will be asked to show a portfolio of past work. Auditions and portfolio reviews will also include an interview with faculty as well as a tour of the theatre facilities.
Auditions and portfolio reviews are scheduled during Open House programs and throughout the academic year. Contact the Admissions Office at 1-800-345-3920 ext. 4026 to set up an audition or portfolio review. We are happy to schedule an appointment any time that is convenient for you.
We also offer a number of employment and work-study positions in the Theatre Department. Each year, 15-20 students work alongside faculty and staff in our Scene Shop, Costume Shop, Box Office, and the Theatre Department Office.
Box Office Assistant:
- Sell tickets to productions
- Operate box-office software
- Assist in creating and disseminating advertising for productions
Costume Shop Assistant
- Assist Costume Designer and Costumier in construction of costumes
- Assist in maintenance of costumes
Theatre Department Office Assistant
- Assist faculty and department secretary in a variety of office tasks: photocopying, filing, etc.
- Maintain Theatre Department Library
- Create PowerPoints and other course support for faculty
Scene Shop Assistant
- Assist Scene Designer and Technical Director in the construction of scenery
- Paint scenery
- Hang and focus lighting instruments