Design and Technology
The Theatre Department faculty firmly believes that our students should receive a solid foundation in Design and Technology based on the combination of an inclusive curriculum and practical experience. While larger schools require students to specialize in one area, Lycoming provides students with fundamental knowledge of all areas in Design/Tech. Our focus on hands-on opportunities allows students to create the strongest portfolio possible for an undergraduate education.
Since our curriculum is primarily focused on all aspects of productions, you will be working on Welch Theatre shows in a variety of capacities. You will have the opportunity to be the:
- Assistant scenic designer
- Assistant lighting designer
- Assistant costume designer
- Assistant technical director
- Master electrician
- Running crew
- Props head
- Wardrobe crew
- Lighting operator
- Sound board operator
You will learn to:
- Design a hypothetical production for a different space
- Serve as the Technical Director
- Design faculty-directed productions
- Create scenery from a variety of materials, including wood, metal, and Styrofoam in our 15,000 square foot Scene Shop
- Build costumes with our stock of costumes (from 200+ productions!), Bernina sewing machines, overlock machines, and two large cutting tables.
- Utilize our Drafting Studio, which is equipped with 14 drafting tables
- Work with our state-of-the-art lighting instrumentation
For information on specific courses within our design and technology track, please visit our college catalog.