Hazing Warning Signs
While some activities are easily defined as hazing, others are not. Answering the following questions will help you decide whether the activity in question is an appropriate new member education activity.
- Is this activity an educational experience?
- Does this activity promote and conform to the ideals and values of the fraternity/sorority?
- Will this activity increase feelings of friendship between new and initiated members of the chapter?
- Is it an activity that new and initiated members participate in together?
- Would you be willing to allow parents to witness this activity? A judge? The College President?
- Would you be willing to defend the merit of this activity in a court of law?
- Does the activity meet both the spirit and letter of the standards prohibiting hazing?
(List of questions adapted from the FIPG Risk Management Manual)
If you answer "no" to any of these questions, it's probably hazing!