Winter Break 2017
All campus residences (halls, apartments, and The Commons) close for fall 2017 on Friday, December 15th, at 6:00pm
All campus residences (halls, apartments, and The Commons) re-open for spring 2017 on Sunday, January 14th at 10:00am
Important to note:
- Only students who have been granted permission to stay on campus during Winter Break or who have been granted permission to return early may be on campus during the break.
- Unless a student has been granted permission to stay on campus for Winter Break, s/he is required to leave campus within 24 hours of her/his last final exam, Monday through Thursday. Students who have a final scheduled on Friday, December 15 must request permission to stay after 6:00 p.m. closing but are expected to leave campus no later than 9 a.m. on Saturday, December 16.
- With the exception of students who are members of a winter sport athletic team, any student who needs to be on campus for any portion of Winter Break is required to submit a request for Winter Break housing no later than 12 midnight on Wednesday, December 13th. You may find this form by logging into myLyco and then going to WebAdvisor . In your WebAdvisor options, go to the"Residential Life" section and look for "Housing Requests". You can then select "Winter Break Request" in the "Housing Type" drop-down.
- All students who are approved for Winter Break housing for personal reasons may be charged a room fee of $35 per night with the exception of International students, student-athletes (Winter sports), and students working on-campus jobs over the break.
- All housing will be inspected by staff for Health & Safety and/or proper closing procedures beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, December 16th.
- Failure to complete any/all of the steps listed below and/or failure to obtain permission to remain on/return early to campus will result in a minimum $25 fine/resident.
Winter Break Procedures
If you have any questions, concerns or need clarification on any policy or procedure, please don't hesitate to contact your Residential LIfe Staff Member, House Manager or the Office of Residential Life.
Students Who Are Approved To Stay On Campus During Winter Break 2017
Break housing is a privilege and students who are approved to remain on campus are expected to abide by all College and Residential Life policies during the break. Please also note the information below.
- Residential Life student staff (RAs) are NOT on duty during break.
- The Dining Hall will close after lunch on December 15th and is closed for the entire break and will re-open with dinner on January 14th. There is NO meal plan service during this time.
- The Office of Safety & Security is open 24/7 during the entire break, however, other College offices (including Residential Life) are officially closed December 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and January 2.
- For any emergencies or facility issues on those days residents will need to contact the Office of Safety & Security at (570) 321-4064/4911. Because the Residential Life Office may be closed, online work requests should not be submitted for any housing issues during the week(s) of December 22, 2017 - January 2, 2018.
- Break housing residents are permitted to have only break housing residents as guests in their rooms and buildings; they may not have any overnight guests.
Students Who Are Leaving Campus For Break & Returning For Spring 2018
To protect campus residences and property from fire, theft, pest infestation, and any other damage, all residents need to do the following before leaving campus:
- Store all food in sealed plastic or metal containers.
- Clean the residence and empty all trash (including bathroom trash).
- Unplug all electrical items, including power strips. See specific information below regarding refrigerators.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Lock all doors.
- Move your vehicle to a student parking lot if you plan to leave it on campus during the break.
- Note: the College does not take responsibility for plants or fish left in student residences over any break.
- Residence hall residents also need to do all of the following:
- Empty, defrost and unplug refrigerators and leave the door open to avoid mildew.
- Turn off all lights.
- Pull the window shade(s) up/down halfway.
- Apartments/Commons residents also need to do all of the following:
- Throw away perishable items but do NOT need to unplug their "College provided" refrigerator or remove items in the freezer.
- Additional refrigerators must be emptied, defrosted and unplugged and the door left open.
- Pull the window shade(s) up/down halfway.
- Turn off all lights, except porch lights where applicable.
Students Who Are Not Returning To Campus For Spring 2018
Check-outs for non-returning students must be completed by FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15h at 6:00pm.
Students who know when they leave for break that they are not returning to the College next semester must do the following:
- Complete an Express Check-out form (available in the Offices of Residential Life and Safety & Security) or schedule a check-out appointment with a Residential Life Staff member (RA/ACF/RLC/AD) 24 hours in advance of the time you plan to leave campus.
- Clean your campus residence and make sure all College furniture is in place.
- Return any College issued key(s) to the Residential Life staff or the Office of Safety & Security with the appropriate paperwork at time of check out.
- Failure to do a proper check-out of campus housing will result in a minimum $50 fine.
WINTER BREAK HOUSING REQUESTS
- Requests for Winter Break housing are due no later than midnight, Thursday, December 7th. You may find this form by logging into myLyco and then going to WebAdvisor . In your WebAdvisor options, go to the"Residential Life" section and look for "Housing Requests". You can then select "Winter Break Request" in the "Housing Type" drop-down.
- Submission of a request does not guarantee approval.
- Residents who are approved to stay will be notified via campus e-mail.
- If you are approved for Winter Break Housing for personal reasons, a daily charge ($34 per night) will be posted to your student account.
Failure to obtain permission to remain on/return early to campus will be considered an Improper Closing and will result in a $25 fine. Additional daily charges of $35/day may also apply.