Lycoming College's Relay for Life
Date: March 22, 2013 - March 23, 2013
Time: 6pm - 6am
Location: Lamade Gymnasium (Lycoming College, 700 College Place, Williamsport, PA 17701)
- Lycoming College's Relay for Life is created and put on by College Against Cancer with the help of the American Cancer Society.
- It is a 12 hour event.
- It will begin at 6pm on Friday night and end 6am Saturday Morning.
- There will be an opening ceremony, survivor lap, survivor dinner, hair donation, luminaria ceremony, and a closing ceremony.
- Lycoming clubs and organizations create teams of 8-15 members and raise money throughout the year, as well as at the event. There will be all sorts of things from each group.
- There will be games and giveaways going on throughout the night. Stay tuned for a schedule of events.
- Starts at 6pm Saturday.
- This marks the start of Relay for Life.
- Everyone walks one lap to start the night.
- Survivors are a large part of the Relay community and we want to honor those who have won the battle against cancer.
- The Survivor Dinner is held for survivors in the community to come and celebrate with other survirors.
- We enjoy having survivors come and tell everyone how long they have been cancer free and show the participants how important Relay actually is and the impact they can make on one persons life.
- During the event, we have a salon come in and cut hair for donations.
- This is always an exciting time for everyone as people decide last minute to donate.
- We have had over 50 people donate in previous years!
- The Luminaria Ceremony is targeted towards remembering.
- During the ceremony, participants are asked to gather and remember those who have fallen victim to cancer.
- Througout the year, our luminaria committee collects information and pictures on your loved one. They put together a slide show for everyone to watch. If you would like your loved one to be included in this e-mail Amy Vaughn (email@example.com) or Christina Muthard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Luminaria bags will be sold leading up the the ceremony, and are decorated by participants, honoring a loved one who has passed or is fighting the disease.
- These bags are placed around the track and candles inside the bags are lit before the start of the Luminaria Ceremony.
- Following the slide show, the participants walk a lap around the track in silence to give respect to those who are fighting cancer or to those whose lives were lost.