Download Image: Web
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. - The Lycoming College Student-Pennsylvania State Education Association (S-PSEA) adopted St. Agnes Parochial School in Jefferson Parish, La., for its annual school supply drive.
The Lycoming S-PSEA's relationship with St. Agnes began in 2006 following the devastation caused by hurricane Katrina. Students wanted to work with a school affected by the disaster, and a partnership was arranged through the efforts of Barb Horn, education department faculty secretary, and a New Orleans-based friend and former College employee, Nancy Walker, who identified St. Agnes and coordinated the drive with the school's principal, Bridget Sinibaldi.
For its first donation, the College was able to send six boxes of much needed school supplies to St. Agnes. Horn also contacted a local company, Springs Window Fashions of Montgomery, Pa., which donated window blinds to replace all those the school had lost in the hurricane.
Horn had the opportunity to visit the school in May 2011. Upon the surprise arrival, she joked that she had "arrived from Pennsylvania and was here to inspect the window blinds." The principal, having never met Horn, knew immediately who the stranger was and the two formed a continuing friendship.
When Lycoming's S-PSEA approved another drive to benefit a New Orleans school this year, the choice was natural, and Horn again contacted Sinbaldi to make arrangements.
Julie Martinez of Williamsport, president of Lycoming's S-PSEA and a senior mathematics major seeking elementary education certification, organized this year's effort that was able to send a box of supplies and $100 gift card to the school.
Founded in 1812 and celebrating its bicentennial during the 2011-12 academic year, Lycoming College is a national liberal arts and sciences school dedicated to the undergraduate education of 1,400 students. It offers 35 academic majors and is recognized as a Tier 1 institution by U.S. News & World Report. Located near the banks of the Susquehanna River in Williamsport, Pa., Lycoming is one of the 50 oldest colleges in the nation.