Because journals, periodicals, newspapers, and cataloged serials represent an ongoing financial commitment, the procedure for selection is more restrictive than for books. Requests for new journal subscriptions, whether print or electronic, should be submitted to the librarian liaison for your subject area through the departmental library representative. A short written justification should be included with each request.
Each new journal subscription request is evaluated using the following criteria:
- The library's current journal holdings in the subject area.
- The journal's relevance to the undergraduate curriculum.
- The journal's inclusion in full-text publisher collections or availability through services that gather full-text articles from different journals or publishers.
- The availability of content in electronic format and need for archival access.
- The availability of indexing for the journal.