Getting Ready for Arrival on Campus
Planning your arrival for the upcoming semester? Our top ten tips to get ready to use technology on campus:
- If you are bringing a personal computer to campus, make sure it meets the minimum specifications for our network.
- All residence halls have Ethernet connections available; if you want to use the jack in your room, you will need an Ethernet cable. Wireless internet access is available in all residence halls.
- All devices connected to the network must have one of the approved antivirus programs installed, and must have any important operating system updates installed. Get your computer ready to connect to the network by making sure you have downloaded current antivirus definitions before arrival.
- Make note of any product keys/license keys for software you have installed on your computer, in case you need to reinstall it later in the semester. (This may save a call home to ask someone to find it for you when you are at school.)
- Make note of your computer’s warranty status and end date. Lycoming’s IT Services does not perform hardware repairs on student computers, but many students find that a hardware issue can be covered by the computer’s existing warranty.
- Bringing a television? Cable service is included in your student technology fee. The College does not provide cable television wire to students. You should either bring your own, or purchase a cable wire in the Campus Store to connect cable to your television.
- Need phone service other than a cell phone? While most students choose to use their cell phones in the residence halls, for students who need alternate calling arrangements, a VOIP option is available.
- Connect your @lycoming.edu email account to the email app on your phone, so that you see messages as they arrive. Your Lycoming email is the official means of communication from the College, so you don’t want to miss out on any important information.
- Purchasing software or hardware? Be sure to check out the discounts available for Lycoming students here.
- Planning to bring your own printer? Please note that you will need a cable to connect the printer directly to your computer – wireless printers are not allowed.