Your Personal Computer and the Campus Network
Minimum specifications for network access
All student computers must have at a minimum a Pentium IV (AMD Athlon XP is acceptable), with at least 2 GB of RAM and either Windows 7 or 8 (we recommend upgrading to 8.1) for PCs or OS X 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion) for Macs.
Connecting your computer to the network
The College maintains a secure network. Access to the network is limited to those with a Lycoming College network account (all students receive this login information prior to New Student Orientation).
If you wish to use wireless or wired internet access, your computer will need to meet some basic requirements. The first time you access the internet, you will be prompted to download and install the Bradford Networks persistent agent on your computer. This program scans your computer to ensure you have met the network’s requirements. For more information, refer to the Campus Manager policy.
You must have:
- All important operating system updates downloaded and installed (updates marked as optional are not required)
- An approved antivirus program installed and updated:
- For PCs with Windows 7, you will need Microsoft Security Essentials (available as a free download)
- For PCs with Windows 8, Windows Defender must be turned on (it is built into your operating system)
- For Macs, you will need ClamXAV (available as a free download)
Any time your computer does not meet these two requirements, your computer will be isolated in a remediation network. This acts as a quarantine that allows you to update your system or download updates/install an approved antivirus program, but does not give full network access. Once you have completed any necessary updates, your full access will be restored.