Position posted on: 08-11-2017
The Marketing and Communications Department at Lycoming College seeks applications for the position of Institutional Writer. Reporting to the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, this position is responsible for writing and producing content for academic programs, the college’s website, and media relations (i.e. press releases and feature stories). Through written content, the Writer will raise awareness of the scholarly, artistic and service work of members of the Lycoming College faculty and students, with special attention paid to elevating and promoting the College's academic points of distinction, national/global reach and new initiatives. The Writer will work to produce an institutional voice and in addition to producing content, will provide editorial support to the marketing and communications team. This position will serve as the primary liaison from Marketing & Communications to departments in both Academic Affairs and Student Affairs divisions.
Essential Functions Include (but are not limited to):
- Serve as principle writer and editor for Marketing & Communications.
- Provide strategic partnership and content production for the college’s website with particular emphasis on the academic programs and student affairs pages.
- Identify stories and overarching messages about scholarly accomplishments for key audiences, ensuring that the communications reflect the academic goals and aspirations of the College, accurately convey information, and are congruent with the President’s messages and programs.
- Produce and edit written material for use online and in print, augmented as needed with photography and video, under tight deadlines.
- In partnership with the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, help execute a communications plan for the academic departments units in accordance with the Provost’s office, identifying priorities and synergies that reflect the institution as a whole and highlight the strengths and achievements of individual faculty and departments.
- Continually work with the marketing and communications team to amplify the College's academic achievements and make the College more visible through all media. Create an environment where opportunities for positive public relations are aggressively pursued.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
Educational Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in creative writing, journalism, English, communications or related field.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of three years’ experience in writing and editing, marketing, communications or public relations with a demonstrated track record of success, with preference given to work in higher education.
- Expert writer accustomed to writing for a variety of media and audiences in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience in producing press releases, feature writing, copywriting, and copy editing required.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Experience with interviews and event reporting.
- Excellent communications skills (written and verbal communications) are required.
- Must be highly organized with a proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining critical attention to details.
- Knowledge of Lycoming College and/or the city of Williamsport preferred.
- Superlative interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people at all levels of an organization. Strong personal integrity and work ethic—as well as flexibility, perspective, and a sense of humor.
- A personal understanding of liberal arts / humanities-based education is a decided advantage.
Submit cover letter of interest and resume including the names and telephone numbers of three professional references. Electronic submission of application materials is required. Please reference “Writer” in the subject line of the email. Final candidates selected to interview will be asked to provide a portfolio with a minimum of three examples of their published work.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Post-offer, pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check conducted.
LYCOMING COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: As a matter of policy and/or applicable laws, Lycoming College does not discriminate in admission, employment or administration of its programs or activities on the basis of religion, ancestry, political belief, veteran status or sexual orientation.
POST-OFFER, PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN CONDUCTED