Lycoming College Campus
Twenty-two buildings sit on Lycoming’s 42-acre campus. Most buildings have been constructed since 1950. All are easy to reach from anywhere on campus. A 12-acre athletic field and football stadium lie a few blocks north of the main campus.
Modern buildings include the nine residence halls, which contain clean and comfortable double rooms; the student union; and the physical education/recreation center. Up-to-date facilities include the library, the theatre, the planetarium, the computer center, an electronic music studio, a photography laboratory, and an art gallery. The computer center opened in 1969; the art gallery and the physical education center opened in 1980. An arts center was renovated and opened in 1983. The Heim Biology and Chemistry Building opened in 1990.
Asbury Hall (1962) — Named in honor of Bishop Francis Asbury, the father of The United Methodist Church in the United States, who made the circuit through the upper Susquehanna District in 1812, the year Lycoming (then the Williamsport Academy) opened its doors. Asbury Hall houses freshman students in a co-educational environment.
Crever Hall (1962) — Honors Lycoming’s founder and first financial agent, the Rev. Benjamin H. Crever, who helped persuade the Baltimore Conference to purchase the school from the Williamsport Town Council in 1848.
East Hall (1962) — Houses five chapters of Lycoming’s fraternities and sororities. The self-contained units contain student rooms and a chapter room.
Forrest Hall (1968) — Honors Dr. and Mrs. Fletcher Bliss Forrest and Anna Forrest Burfeindt ’30, the parents and sister of Katherine Forrest Mathers ’28, whose generosity established the memorial.
Rich Hall (1948) — Honors the Rich family of Woolrich, Pennsylvania. It houses health services, dining services office, security, residential life, and buildings and grounds. Rich is an all female hall.
Skeath Hall (1965) — The largest residence hall honors the late J. Milton Skeath, professor of psychology and four-time Dean of the College from 1921 to 1967. It houses freshmen in a co-educational environment.
Wesley Hall (1956) — Honors John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. This building houses a number of Greek organizations, as well as independent students.
Williams Hall (1965) — Honors Mary Ellen Whitehead Williams, mother of Joseph A. Williams, of St. Marys, Pennsylvania, whose bequest established the memorial.
The Commons (2007) — This apartment-style living building has 22 units and currently houses 85 residents. The building is fully air conditioned and has a beautifully landscaped commons area. This building is named in honor of six individuals.
Academic Center (1968) — The most architecturally impressive complex on campus, the Center is composed of four buildings: the John G. Snowden Memorial Library, Wendle Hall, the Mary L. Welch Theatre and Laboratories, and the faculty office building.
John G. Snowden Memorial Library (1968) www.lycoming.edu/library Named after the late state senator John G. Snowden, the library supports the classroom and research needs of the college community. An active information literacy program promotes the use of print materials, Web-accessed academic information resources, and other information technologies.
The collection includes access to more than 300,000 items with over 40,000 periodical titles, and a strong reference collection suitable to an undergraduate education. The Snowden Memorial Library also houses the Lycoming College Archives.
Academic Resource Center — Located on the third floor of the John G. Snowden Library, the ARC is operated by a professional staff and peer tutors during the academic year. The Center offers study skills workshops, tutoring, disability support, and academic counseling.
Art Gallery (1980) — Located in the northwest corner of the first floor of the John G. Snowden Memorial Library, the gallery features exhibits by 4-6 nationally recognized artists and the Student Senior Capstone show every academic year.
Wendle Hall and Laboratories (1968) — Named after the George Wendle family, a College benefactor, this building contains 21 classrooms, the psychology laboratories, four computer laboratories with 75 terminals available for use, and spacious Pennington Lounge, an informal meeting place for students and faculty. The language, business, mathematics and physics laboratories are situated on the upper floors.
Digital Art and Graphics Lab (1993) — The Digital Art and Graphics Lab features state-of-the art computers on both Macintosh and Windows platforms that are equipped with 2-D animation, digital imaging, illustration, professional layout and graphics, video and sound editing, and web design software. The lab also features film and flatbed scanners, color and b/w laser printers and large format archival digital art printers. Hardware and software are updated regularly to keep up with changes in the graphics industry and innovations in fine art digital imaging.
Detwiler Planetarium (1967) — Named after the Detwiler family, it is located in the lower level of the Academic Center. In addition to serving as an instructional tool to astronomy students, the planetarium has become a community resource, hosting close to 2,000 youngsters in Boy Scout, Girl Scout, school and church groups each year.
Mary L. Welch Theatre (1968) — The 204-seat thrust-stage theatre is one of the finest in the region. Theatre facilities include: the college box office, state-of-the-art lighting and sound systems, costume and scene shops, a make-up room, and an additional black-box performance space known as the Dragon's Lair Theatre.
Faculty Office Building (1968) — Contains faculty offices, seminar rooms, and a 735-seat lecture hall.
Fine Arts Center (1923, renovated 2005) — This building, originally a gym, ideally suits our studios for sculpture, photography, printmaking, and painting. Our art faculty office and lecture hall are located here.
Photography Laboratories (1984, 2004) — Located in the lower level of the Fine Arts Center, it is fully equipped for both black and white photography and alternative processes.
Communication Center (1987) — The focal point of the facility is a fully equipped state of the art digital media laboratory. The building also houses an editing room, classrooms, faculty offices, the FM radio station and the student newspaper office.
Heim Biology and Chemistry Building (1990) — The $10 million Heim Building is one of the finest undergraduate science facilities in the East. The three-level structure totals more than 63,000 square feet and contains state-of-the-art biology and chemistry laboratories, lecture halls, seminar rooms, a science reading area and a greenhouse as well as classrooms and faculty offices.
Clarke Building & Chapel (1939) — Lycoming’s landmark honors Martha B. Clarke, a benefactor. The building contains Clarke Chapel, St. John Neumann Chapel, music classrooms, practice studios, an electronic music studio and faculty offices.
Mary Lindsay Welch Honors Hall (2005) — Lycoming has refurbished a 19th century landmark into an Honors Hall that includes the Shangraw Performance Hall (a 125-seat recital hall), The Lindsay Memorial Chapel and offices for the United Campus Ministry Center, and Community Services Center and Honors Program.
Drum House — Built in 1857 the Admissions House is the oldest building on the campus. It was first occupied by a Presbyterian parson.
The Admissions House was bought by the College in 1931, along with 28 other dwellings, and in 1940 became the President’s home. John W. Long occupied it for the remainder of his tenure and D. Frederick Wertz lived in the house from 1955 until 1965 when the College made the property at 325 Grampian Boulevard the President’s home. The building was then converted for use by the Fine Arts Department. In 1983, when a new Fine Arts facility was completed, the department was relocated and the house was vacant until 1987 when it was restored by college craftsmen to its original Federalist design under the supervision of Carol Baker ’60, who kindly volunteered her services during the year-long reconstruction. The Admissions House was a gift of the W.F. Rich family.
John W. Long Hall (1951) — Named after President Long (1921-1955), it houses the administrative offices, including those of the President, Provost, Treasurer, Dean of Student Affairs, Registrar, Alumni Relations, College Relations, Institutional Advancement, Publications, and Financial Aid, and the business office.
Physical Education and Recreation Center (1980) — Includes the George R. Lamade Gymnasium, which contains basketball and other courts; a six-lane swimming pool; all-purpose room; sauna and steam room; weight room; offices; classrooms, and the Alumni lounge.
Recreation Center (2004) — Is a two-story 54,000 square foot space with four basketball courts. It has a suspended indoor running track, an expanded weight room, and a new exercise and fitness area.
Robert L. Shangraw Athletic Complex (1998) — Located at David Person Field, the 17,700 square foot complex contains locker facilities for football, lacrosse, soccer, and softball in addition to a fully-equipped athletic training room. The press box can accommodate radio and television coverage and includes a hospitality suite for guests of the president. There is bleacher sitting for 2,000 fans.
Wertz Student Center (1959) — Named after D. Frederick Wertz, President (1955-1968), it contains the Main Dining Commons, Jane Schultz Dining Room, the Jonas Room, Burchfield Lounge, a recreation area, game rooms, Jack’s Corner, bookstore, post office, student activities office, Career Services , Counseling Center, and student organization offices.
Most facilities at Lycoming College are accessible to those with limited mobility. In addition, the College will make special accommodations whenever necessary to meet the needs of any of its students.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES - www.lycoming.edu/its
Lycoming College provides at least one computer network access point in each classroom, office, and for each student on campus. In addition, all residence halls, the Snowden Library and most key areas have wireless network access. Students have access to a variety of on-campus and worldwide resources through the network.
The College maintains six public use computer labs; four labs populated with Windows-based computers, one lab with a mix of Windows and Macintosh computers, and one lab with Macintosh computers. The Windows labs utilize several popular software packages, such as Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) Internet Explorer, Mathematica, and SPSS. The Graphics Lab utilizes Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative Suite. The Macintosh lab that specializes in digital media includes video editing software. Laser printing, copying, scanning, and DVD/RW drives are available in most labs.
Lycoming College maintains a website where our URL is www.lycoming.edu. Any student who is enrolled at Lycoming receives an e-mail account as well as a network account with disk space for personal file storage, which is backed up daily. Academic departments maintain home pages and resources under the Lycoming College home page(s). Faculty communicate with their students by the college Outlook e-mail or through our course management system Moodle.
ResNet (1995) — ResNet is the Residential Networking program for any student living in a residence hall, where they have direct access to the Lycoming network and Internet from their computer. A laptop computer with wireless is recommended and discounts are available through our Dell initiative or software discount program. Students need properly configured computers to pass through the Campus Manager security system, with an updated operating system, and the campus standard anti-virus and anti-spyware program. Any additional devices using wireless, such as smartphones, game consoles, etc., must also be registered. ResNet is part of a single consolidated Technology Fee of $220 per semester for resident students and $120 per semester for commuter students that will cover your access to ResNet, wireless, cable TV, computer labs, and networked multifunction printers.