Estudio Sampere: Spain & Ecuador, Costa Rica (2012)
Estudio Sampere, founded in 1956, is one of the pioneers of modern language teaching.Lycoming College Affiliate Centers are located in Spain, Ecuador and Costa Rica.
There are three school locations in Spain:
- Madrid, Spain (since 1956): The city of Madrid,capital of Spain since the time of Phillip II, is today one of the most active capitals in Europe. With a population of over five million, Madrid is a mixture of centuries-old tradition and cosmopolitanism. Its parks are famous (the Retiro is not to be missed) as are its world-class museums — the Prado, the Reina Sofia Contemporary Art Center, the Archeological Museum, and the Royal Palace, to name a few. Located in the center of the country, from Madrid it is easy to travel throughout Spain.
- Salamanca, Spain (since 1992): 120 miles from Madrid (2 ½ hrs by bus) and close to the Portuguese border, Salamanca is the seat of the oldest university in Spain and is truly a college town. The very famous Plaza Mayor is the center of activity in the city with its bars, shops, restaurants. Salamanca is a small town and everything is within walking distance: beautiful churches and cathedrals and streets with years of history. The climate is continental with chilly winters and sunny summers.
- Alicante, Spain (since 2000): Pearl of the Mediterranean, Alicante enjoys a wonderful climate year round with splendid beaches. The Postiguet beach is in the very town center. The area, inhabited well before the Romans, is of vital importance in the modern economy of Spain, and famous leisure destinations are not far. With 500.000 inhabitants, Alicante offers the advantages of a medium-sized city with a cultural life, a young and dynamic university and a booming economy with centuries-old traditions like the San Juan festivities or the "Moors and Christians" celebrations, a revival of the "Reconquista" battles.
The Estudio Sampere center in Ecuador is located in Cuenca.Ecuador is the smallest of the Andean countries, and in many ways the most comfortable, safest and pleasant in which to travel. Estudio Sampere is located in Cuenca, the third largest city in Ecuador. Cuenca is a beautiful colonial city located in the southern portion of the central highlands not far from the most extensive Incan ruins found in Ecuador. Indigenous culture is an important aspect of Cuencana life. Several universities are located here, but the city retains a small-town atmosphere.
The Estudio Sampere center in Costa Ricais located in San José. Located in central Costa Rica, San José is a city that feels small and friendly in spite of being the cultural and political capital of the country. . It has many museums, theatres with music performances and plays, and international restaurants.Its location makes possible numerous day trips to rain forest and mountain (volcano) destinations.
Estudio Sampere offers semester-long programs and May and Summer sessions.All of the programs are designed for students at beginning, intermediate and advanced levels of Spanish language study.
Spain, 16- Week Semester Programs:
Each of the 16-week semester programs (Fall and Spring) is comprised of four,one-month cycles. Each month a student takes two intensive courses and earns four credit hours. Students studying in Spain may elect to take all of their semester cycles in one city (Madrid, Salamanca, or Alicante), or a combination of two or three cities. A visa is required.
Ecuador, 16-Week Semester Program:
A 16-week Semester Programisoffered in Ecuador for a total of 16 credits. A visa is required.
Costa Rica, 12-Week Semester Program
This shortened semester offers 12 credit hours. A visa is not required.
MAY AND SUMMER PROGRAMS
Estudio Sampere offers language courses throughout the summer. Summer participants earn four hours of credit per month.
THE FINANCIAL INVESTMENTS/DATES
The financial investmentfor eachprogram includes tuition, room and board and books, with the exception that lunches are not covered in Costa Rica. All costs are approximate and do not include transportation.
16-Week Semester Programs (earn 16 credit hours)
- Investment: Spain,$8,427 Ecuador,$5,742
- Dates: January 7 - April 25, 2013 ;August 19 - December 5, 2013
12-Week Semester Program(Costa Rica,earns 12 credit hours)
- Investment: Costa Rica $6,699
- Dates: January 7 - March 28, 2013 ; August 19 - November 7, 2013
May and Summer Programs
One Month Two Months Three Months
Costa Rica $2,719$4,714 $6,699
Ecuador 2,027 3,3774,397
Spain3,397 5,662 7,357
Dates: May 6 - May 30, 2013 ; June 3 - June 27, 2013 ; July 1 - July 25, 2013
For additional information, please contact:Dr. Barbara Buedel (email@example.com), Directorof International Education, Lycoming College, One College Place -Academic Center D-224 - Box 2, Williamsport, PA 17701