Two doors from the Meeting House, this house was the home of John and Louisa Warner. There they had the honor of entertaining the visiting poet and anti-slavery lecturer Frances Ellen Watkins Harper. Ms. Watkins Harper was an Underground Railroad agent at her home in Philadelphia. She visited Pennsdale in 1859.
Originally the site of a log cabin where the Webster family lived, together with their "Negro bound girl, Judah", the stone house called Edgend was the home of Jesse and Rachel Haines, best friends of William and Mercy Ellis, and parents of Jacob Haines, who married William and Mercy's daughter, Rachel.
House of Many Stairs
Originally Bulls Head Tavern, operated by Edward Morris, the building was reported to be a safe house. It is built into hillside, hence many stairs and levels that hid a cubby hole in the attic with a sliding panel where it is believed slaves were hidden.
John Adlum House
This beautiful stone house was just across the fields from William and Mercy Ellis' house at Wolf Run, and was built for William's brother. One occupant was John Adlum, who was a friend of Thomas Jefferson. The farm belonged to the Adlum family for 50 years during the time of slavery. John Adlum was not a known abolitionist, but some people speculate that the house may have harbored runaways because Adlum's sisters were friends with the Ellis family. There is a secret door in the wall of the attic that leads to a large crawl space and a tunnel in the cellar that is said to have once gone to a milk house behind the barn.
This beautiful stone house was preceded by its spring house, built in the 1790s and was the home of the Carpenter family, active members of the nearby Quaker Meeting. The main house was built in 1804. It was the home of John and Louisa Warner for many years, and their children were raised there. Their daughter Mary married William Schooley Mendenhall, related to Underground Railroad agents in southeastern PA, and the couple lived in the house throughout the rest of slavery times.
Mt. Equity/Mercy Ellis Cox’s House
When William Ellis died in 1806, his will provided that a suitable home be built for Mercy Ellis and their children. Accordingly, the stone building called "The Cottage" was built on the parcel of land known as Mt. Equity, across the fields from Wolf Run House. Mercy lived there, raised her children, and entertained travelers until her death in 1848. Her son, Charles Ellis, who developed the science of pharmacy, added the stone front portion in 1861. The house was enlarged again by the family in 1882.
Pennsdale Quaker Meeting House
The Meeting House was the center of the Quaker and abolitionist community in Pennsdale. A myth of a haunted graveyard perpetuated to keep slave hunters away.
Built on the site of an earlier log home, Spring Farm was owned by Rachel and Jacob Haines, who inherited it from William Ellis. Rachel and Jacob lived there after they married and returned from teaching at Westtown School, in Southeastern PA. It is possible they harbored runaways there. They traded or sold Spring Farm and Edge End to Rachel's brother, William Cox Ellis, in order to obtain Wolf Run.
Ridge Farm was the home of Benjamin and Deborah Warner. Deborah was the daughter of James and Elizabeth Kitely, who were very close to the Ellis family and are believed to have been Underground Railroad conspirators. The Kitely farm, now gone, was near Hughesville. Deborah and Benjamin were also the parents of John Wamer, who with his wife, Louisa Atkinson Simpson, became Underground Railroad agents at the Mansion House and then the Brick House. In James and Elizabeth Kitely's later years, they came to live at Ridge Farm. Because of these family connections, it is suspected that Ridge Farm may have harboured runaways.
Wolf Run House
Former home of Quaker William Haines has a hiding space in corner of third floor. The basement has walk-in fireplace with huge arches on each side that have hiding space. There is also a bricked up doorway that originally led from basement directly to outside, providing an additional escape route.
Currently Creative Necessities Florest
A tunnel opening in basement led to outside the plaster and stonewall at edge of property. There is some controversy about this property. There are old bars on the basement windows and shackles used to be mounted on basement wall. Some say it was used as a holding pen for captured slaves. Others say these were there to fool the slave catchers and that the house and tunnel were really part of the Underground Railroad.
Henry Harris, former slave, is buried here.
Muncy Historical Society
Artifacts of Henry Harris, former slave, including a butler’s tray, cast iron pot, and a rosewood piano are part of the museum collection.