Egyptology at Lycoming College
As an undergraduate institution, Lycoming College does not have a program in Egyptology. Serious study of Egyptology is something usually accomplished at the Graduate level. However, Lycoming College's program in "Archaeology and Culture of the Ancient Near East," plus some diligent language study (French, German, Hebrew and Greek - all offered here and highly recommended), will be excellent preparation for any graduate program in Egyptology.
In addition, be aware that there are very few faculty positions available in the U.S. specifically in Egyptology, so if this is your interest, you will need to combine this interest with some related but wider area of expertise, like the ancient Near East more generally. Or you might think about combining your interest in Egyptology with other career possibilities such as Museum Work, Writing or Film Making, Photography, Tour Guiding, Librarian, Art History, etc.
You will want to plan on participating in an archaeological dig in Egypt. Penn State currently has a dig at Mendes, Egypt, directed by eminent Egyptologist Dr. Donald Redford (firstname.lastname@example.org). This dig would be a fine choice, and will count towards the Archaeology major requirements here. The dig runs for 4 weeks in June-July, and space is limited, so plan to apply early!
In addition, when you take Biblical Archaeology, History and Culture of the Ancient Near East, Art History and Anthropology, you may elect to do projects relating to Egyptology. Opportunities abound!
Some interesting web sites...
Ancient Egypt - a site created by the British Museum
Giza Plateau Mapping Project
Ancient Egypt Site
Color Tour of Egypt
Duke Papyrus Archive
Pyramids: The Inside Story
Mummies of Ancient Egypt
The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
More interesting websites compiled by Gander Academy
Egyptvoyager A showcase of everything Egypt has to offer, from culture and history to tourist and trade information. This site brings Egypt to life through flash animation and virtual tours. Visit the Giza Plateau and enter the Great Pyramid of Cheops. Go on a tour of Khan el Khalili Market in downtown Cairo, and visit other places of interest. A site which is constantly being expanded in an interesting, interactive, and fun way.
Societies and organizations
Egyptological field work directory
Museums and Collections
Academia and Education
Publications and Magazines
Pictures and Places
Travel and Info
- Accommodations in Egypt
- All One World Egypt Tours Spiritual Egypt Tours led by Ruth Shilling provide travelers extended visits at the sacred sites, a relaxed pace, meditations, topnotch Egyptologist and symbolic interpretations.
- Arabia Tour Guide online Directory
- Ask-Aladdin Aladdin Khalifa is a tour director in Egypt. His site features information about Egypt to help travellers make the best of their travel experience in Egypt.
- Baltimore-Luxor-Alexandria Sister City's Annual tour of Egypt. Great Price!
- Belquis Tours
- Cruising Lake Nasser The Oriental Institute.
- Egypt Tourism Net Provides information on Hotels, Cruises, Travel Agencies, Transportation Companies and Tourist attractions in Egypt
- Egypt Tours and Travel
- Egypt Travel Guide The most informative on-line travel guide to Egypt, Cairo, Sinai, Aswan, Luxor, Oases and the Red Sea. Includes Hotels, Travel Agencies, Car Rentals, Diving, Shopping and Dining.
- First 48 Adventure Travel - Tours in Egypt UK based tour operator.
- GeoPassage.com A cutting edge E-Business tour wholesaler offering pre-packaged and custom-designed vacations for individuals and groups to worldwide destinations, including Egypt .Their patent pending technology enables customers for the first time to fully customize their vacations online based on their interests, needs and preferences.
- Museum Tours Tours to Egypt for the Egypt enthusiast and the Virtual Egyptian Museum
- Osinga.com Travel guide to Egypt. Extensive information on travel, sights, accommodation and culture.
- Road to Egypt Customized Nile cruises, Egypt tours and travel, luxury hotels and Aida opera at the Giza Pyramids in your Egypt vacations packages
- Tour Egypt The Official Site of the Ministry of Tourism in Egypt.
- Virtual World Tours Index
- world66.com's travel guide to Egypt travel related information about Egypt and its regions and cities.
- Weather-Cairo, Egypt
- Weather-Alexandria, Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Gods by Nikole L. Didier
- Akhet, the Horizon Contains articles on the mythology and history of Egyptian religion, temple life, priesthood and philosophy.
- Akhentef's World
- Hotep A general Egypt site featuring a list of Pharaohs, gods, glossary of terms, pages on the ancient religion, lifestyle, as well as, pages on current archaeological sites, museum exhibits, travelogues, and more.
- Legend of Osiris and Isis
- Lyceum of Isis of the Stars
- Nefertiti Lady of the Two Lands.
- Neith Goddess of the city of Sais.
- Summaries of notable Egyptian Gods
- Egyptionary The Egyptionary is a graphic hieroglyphs-English dictionary, i.e. you click the Egyptian word signs, and the Egyptionary translate it into English. Based on Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar and Faulkner's Concise dictionary for Middle Egyptian, the Egyptionary contains, right now, 200 values. Soon there will be more.
- Serge Rosmorduc's Home Page Try writing your name in Hieroglyphs
- Translate English into Hieroglyphs Fun from Egypt's Tourism Net