Academic Success Toolkit
ARC 100: Success Skills Workshop
ARC-100: Success Skills Workshop is a great course for anyone who wants an edge in achieving academic success at Lycoming College. This is a seven-week course on time management, reading skills, test preparation, note taking, motivation, and other study skills. Topics are designed to encourage students to be proactive regarding academic strategies. ARC-100 is offered three times each academic year. This non-credit course will be graded on a pass/fail basis.
Instructors: Jilliane Bolt-Michewicz, Andrew Kilpatrick, Jody Lantz, Whitney Merinar
Study Skills Tutoring
Peer tutors are available to meet one-on-one to enhance your study habits and strategies. Simply email one of the tutors (below) to request a meeting.
Examples of skills you might discuss and practice:
- transferring deadlines from the course syllabus into a planner
- breaking projects or writing assignments into smaller tasks with mini-deadlines
- organizing class materials into a binder
- creating a study plan for an upcoming test
- improving note-taking strategies used during lectures or when reading texts
- improving reading comprehension strategies
- creating study tools (i.e. flashcards, self-tests, and study-guides)
Study Skills Tutors: Kaitlyn Adams, Breona Buck, Baleigh Dunkleberger, Quinten Foster, Trenton Jones, Olivia Heckroth
Other Tips for Academic Success
- Aim for perfect attendance in each class.
- Use campus resources early and often-- professors' office hours, subject tutoring, the Writing Center, and the Math Center.
- Use a planner to track deadlines, tasks, and social commitments. Carry it with you to every class.
- Compare lecture notes with a classmate to identify areas for improvement.
- Use helpful technology!
- Practice active reading-- highlight, write in the margins of the text, take notes, and develop questions to ask later.
- Create a 3-5 day study plan for every exam. Include study groups with classmates, tutoring sessions, and active study tools like flashcards and study guides.
- Contact Jilliane Bolt-Michewicz for individualized study skills support.